Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 848 has been at the dealer due to a CAN line error after my battery blew up and killed my dash and starter relay..

I got a set of used Dash/Ignition/Keys/Locks/Immo Antenna from a donner bike. The dealer has put these on along with a new relay, so all errors were gone and the bike lights up. But now it has an IMMO 37.5 error (so it won't actually start).

From my searching this should be the immo antenna around the ignition, correct? Since it's at a dealer i'm assuming they should have put this on right... the ring was secure in place on the new(to me) ignition surround when I got it.

They are telling me now that I have to have a matching ECU for the dash (like the one from the donner bike). From everything I've read this just seems wrong. They swapped out my ECU and tried to use one from an 848 they had in stock, still the same error. To me that rules out the ECU as an issue.

I can get over to the dealer tomorrow, but was hoping to get some insight here first.

This is the msot descriptive post I can find about my issue: Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum - View Single Post - ERROR CODE 37.0 assistance

Thanks

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Oh no, not another immobilizer gremlin... Do you not have the code card to start the bike? When Ducati ditched the red keys they added a code card for you to punch in if your immobilizer flags. I had similar trouble after I was t-boned and my dash was replaced. I'm sorry to say my issue remains unsolved 6 years, 2 dealers, 1, tuner, 2 dashes, and 2 immobilizer antennas later. My workarounds are either punching in the code every time, or an aftermarket ECU that ignores the immobilizer.

But to answer your question, the keys have transponders that are read by the antenna and programmed into the dash. Then the ECU prevents the bike from starting. So ultimately you need a matched key set, dash, and ECU to fix it. My first dealer swears I also needed a matched wiring harness but I raised the BS flag on that.

There was a detailed post from a forum I used before. I'll try to find it and post it back here.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Ok this is what I was referring to but unfortunately it's for the older system with the red keys. But I'm posting it anyway because the fundamentals might be the same and might get you pointed in the right direction. Good luck man, I went with a Microtec ECU so I still get the error and yellow light on the dash but the ECU doesn't care and I can even start before the countdown ends. I've gotten used to the light but every now and then it still bothers me. I can always kill it by putting in the code but that's usually more annoying than the light...

http://www.ducatiwiki.net/index.php?title=Immobilizer_Description_and_Specifications_Manual

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh no, not another immobilizer gremlin... Do you not have the code card to start the bike? When Ducati ditched the red keys they added a code card for you to punch in if your immobilizer flags.
My issues started literally a week after getting the bike, and now it's been down for over a month. :(

No red card or key.

Since Dash and ignition/key are from the donner bike, and the ECU is from my bike. Is there anyway to mate these up?! Or is aftermarket ECU really my only option?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
My issues started literally a week after getting the bike, and now it's been down for over a month. :(

No red card or key.

Since Dash and ignition/key are from the donner bike, and the ECU is from my bike. Is there anyway to mate these up?! Or is aftermarket ECU really my only option?
Do you know any Ducati dealer? if not forward me your bike VIN I will find out where your bike sale from which dealer, hope they have a copy of code card in their file then you can call them asking for code card see if they have a copy or not.

second option: I remembered one of our members have connection to get your dash, ignition and key mail in, they will do code card and your dash, ignition and key match cost like $350-500

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Do you know any Ducati dealer? if not forward me your bike VIN I will find out where your bike sale from which dealer, hope they have a copy of code card in their file then you can call them asking for code card see if they have a copy or not.

second option: I remembered one of our members have connection to get your dash, ignition and key mail in, they will do code card and your dash, ignition and key match cost like $350-500
I'll have my dealer contact the original dealer. I got a matching dash/ignition/key set ~$500. I didn't get a matching ECU with it though, I have my original ECU. Will the code card even work with a different dash?

dash has to match ecu, if not immobilizer code overtime or get it refreshed or a diff ecu

-Carbon
You're the first person I've seen that has said this. Do you mean reflashed? Why would dash have to match the ECU, exmaple, how does a Termi ECU work then when it's not matched to your dash? etc. Not trying to say you're wrong, just want to understand before having to spend another $1000+.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I'll have my dealer contact the original dealer. I got a matching dash/ignition/key set ~$500. I didn't get a matching ECU with it though, I have my original ECU. Will the code card even work with a different dash?

I am still not understand you well, you have original ecu and you got matching D/I/K it should work right away, ask your dealer reprogram the dash back to oem ecu then your bike should run.

if your code card match with D/I/K it will work with different dash, and oem ECU or Race ECU but you need reprogram every time you switch it out

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am still not understand you well, you have original ecu and you got matching D/I/K it should work right away, ask your dealer reprogram the dash back to oem ecu then your bike should run.

if your code card match with D/I/K it will work with different dash, and oem ECU or Race ECU but you need reprogram every time you switch it out
I have my bike's original ECU on the bike. I have a 2nd bike's D/I/K on the bike. I do not have a code card.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
so you are saying that you have two 848? if so write down your both bike VIN# call any Ducati Dealer asking for Part manager he will be happy to looking your bikes VIN# and tell you where the bike Original sale from, then you call that dealer for asking the sale manager or financial manager they will look it up for you see if they have a copy of Code card on their file.

Good luck man

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2nd bike's parts were from a wrecked 848, I cannot get additional parts from that bike.
If I cannot get the code card, what is my option then?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
get back to us, follow my above advise, let us know later if you can't get the code number.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
2nd bike's parts were from a wrecked 848, I cannot get additional parts from that bike.
If I cannot get the code card, what is my option then?

Try what Phil said. Cause without a code card, you'll need a new dash WITH a card. Keys can be programmed to the dash and ECU should accept it. Worst case you'll need a complete matched set: dash, ECU, card, keys, ignition. IMO you're better off with an aftermarket ECU at that point which will ignore the immobilizer

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Try what Phil said. Cause without a code card, you'll need a new dash WITH a card. Keys can be programmed to the dash and ECU should accept it. Worst case you'll need a complete matched set: dash, ECU, card, keys, ignition. IMO you're better off with an aftermarket ECU at that point which will ignore the immobilizer
Can't get the card codes, current ECU is refusing the new dash/keys. So it looks like aftermarket ECU is my option. Nemesis and Microtech appear to have the same benefits, and can simply turn off the immobilizer. Any suggestion where to buy or other options? Ducshop looks to be the best price at $895.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can't get the card codes, current ECU is refusing the new dash/keys. So it looks like aftermarket ECU is my option. Nemesis and Microtech appear to have the same benefits, and can simply turn off the immobilizer. Any suggestion where to buy or other options? Ducshop looks to be the best price at $895.
Ducatidiag can turn off the immob signal requirment in the stock ecu if you have the writer.

If no one local to you has it, you can buy it for 100 euros. Once you have that you can flash the ecu with whatever you like.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I would do some calling around your local shops and see which ones have experience tuning which ECUs. Sometimes Nemesis is a bit more ubiquitous from my experience (though I ended up with a Microtec). I'd also research the add-ons you're interested in eg: quickshifter, auto tune, traction control.

As far as where to buy, check the forums here first. Then fleabay etc.

Also, let's be clear on the aftermarket ECUs and immobilizer. They don't turn it "off," they just don't care that it's there. The dash will still read the antenna and look for the coded key, but the ECU will allow you to start the bike because it's not looking for the key/code. I should caveat that with - this has been my experience with Microtec. I can't honestly speak for Nemesis but I'm pretty sure it works the same way because it's the dash that reads the immobilizer antenna.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Yes, check our forum first on Wanted session, I remembered we have two or three members here the have connection do the whole new cluster/ignition/code card/ecu cost $450-$550

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ended up getting a microtec, I figure it gives me the most options especially down the line as my 848 will eventually be a track only bike.

I hope to be back riding next week!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.