Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys. I have a monster 1200 with a DDA to SAE to USB set-up for iphone navigation. I noticed that if the iphone is plugged in before I turn on the ignition it says immobilized and won't let me start the bike. However if I start the bike first then plug the phone in it all works fine.

Is there some theft system that if the DDA port senses anything hooked up to it, it immobilizes the bike?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Why are you plugging your phone into the dda port? If you just need power for the phone then get a usb plug that wires straight to the battery, I have one and it works great. Unless you are pulling data from the port I would not mess with it because its probably interfering with the ECU.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the DDA to SAE cable directly from the ducati battery charger kit. So I'm thinking it's ok. Other guys on the monster forum seem to think it's fine to. I believe the ducati alarm systems plug into it as well. In the manual, it says not to make any direct connections to the battery as well.

But if any experts on the DDA and modern Ducatis can comment, I'm definitely open to changing the set up as I wouldn't want to be doing any harm.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just realized my response might have seemed condescending with the "experts" thing. It wasn't meant to be at all... i was being literal as I'd like to know if this connection is OK or not. I would think yes considering Ducati makes a DDA to SAE cable for battery charging but I'm no expert.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone have any ideas? Ducati told me to ask my dealer, but waiting for a response.

·
Registered
395 Posts
There is no reason you should not hook up a usb charger directly to the battery, not going to hurt anything. The one I have has a built in fuse that pops if it shorts to prevent damage to the battery. Comes with a waterproof cap also. I have not had any issues with it to date, just make sure you keep the connections dry.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If anyone cares, I talked to my service guy at the dealer and he said that you can use the DDA as a charging port but only when the bike is running.

·
Registered
346 Posts
There is no reason you should not hook up a usb charger directly to the battery, not going to hurt anything. The one I have has a built in fuse that pops if it shorts to prevent damage to the battery. Comes with a waterproof cap also. I have not had any issues with it to date, just make sure you keep the connections dry.
and fuse it. but yeah if anything, i'd rather wire(fused) things to my battery than something that is connected to the ECU directly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.