Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the D16RR's that were delivered to Canada the same as the US models? I assume there is a setting for metric vs English.

Does anyone have any experience importing a D16RR ( or any other motorcycle) from Canada into the US, Texas to be more specific? Perhaps it is state specific.

How about a reference to a good trucking company that can handle the transportation across the border?

Hope to be a D16RR owner soon.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
US Customs will need a Letter of Conformance from Ducati North America stating that your bike (VIN) meets US EPA and DOT standards as well as a speedometer that reads in mph.

Canada has harmonized vehicle emission standards with the US so consequently many vehicles made for sale in Canada are eligible for import to the US.

·
Registered
465 Posts
US Customs will need a Letter of Conformance from Ducati North America stating that your bike (VIN) meets US EPA and DOT standards as well as a speedometer that reads in mph.

Canada has harmonized vehicle emission standards with the US so consequently many vehicles made for sale in Canada are eligible for import to the US.
I'm not 100% certain the US Customs cares. However, your local DMV WILL want that document if you plan to register it in the USA with your Canoodlian title and bill of sale. Though sometimes, some places, registering an imported vehicle is a rare enough occurrence that the clerk might not know about this.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I am going to see if DNA will give me such a conformance letter.

I need to make sure I can register the bike so it doesn't get stuck in customers.

I was hoping it was easy to change from metric to English units but reading the User Manual it does not look like their is a setting.

Anyone know what it takes to change from metric to English units? Maybe US ECU?

Thanks.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

I am going to see if DNA will give me such a conformance letter.

I need to make sure I can register the bike so it doesn't get stuck in customers.

I was hoping it was easy to change from metric to English units but reading the User Manual it does not look like their is a setting.

Thanks.

DNA will not give it to you to protect territory sale restrictions between US/Canada, but the dealer can provide you with a print out showing no outshine recalls which is the main reason for this document.

Call US customs and your local DMV first.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to give DNA a call on Monday to see what they say.

Will also call TX DMV to get their take.

Since I am buying from a Canadian Ducati dealer, maybe they can help out somehow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks.
The injection ECU initially tells the instrument cluster to read in the units that are particular to the country that the bike was sold in. But fortunately this can be easily overridden and switched to USA, just by pushing buttons on the left handlebar switch. The workshop manual for the chassis has the procedure on pages 400-401 of the PDF or 20-21 of the instrument cluster section. It may revert back to Canada if the battery is disconnected, I don't know.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The injection ECU initially tells the instrument cluster to read in the units that are particular to the country that the bike was sold in. But fortunately this can be easily overridden and switched to USA, just by pushing buttons on the left handlebar switch. The workshop manual for the chassis has the procedure on pages 400-401 of the PDF or 20-21 of the instrument cluster section. It may revert back to Canada if the battery is disconnected, I don't know.

I did this with no issues.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Contacted DNA this morning.

They found I was a current Ducati owner which helped.

They are going to ask the Ducati factory got the DOT and EPA compliance certificate.

Not sure what I am going to get back in a week but this is the best they could do.

Positive experience so far!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to relay my experience with DNA on this EPA and DOT compliance document.

I called DNA this morning and talked with them on the Compliance document needed for customs to import the D16RR from Canada to the US. Before the end of the day, they sent me a Statement of Compliance specific to my D16RR! That is incredible service which makes me feel good about buying another Ducati.

I was able to locate a freight company that can provide the transport from Canada to Texas as well as present the importation paperwork.

It looks like this deal is really going to happen!

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi

Hey how's it going can you pls call or text me at 7783218392

It's about ur bike I'll pay u 5 to 7500 on top to buy it from u I am calling from vancouver bc mike thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update on the import of 964 from Canada.

Everything is now done!

The bike was delivered to Austin Ducati who had just completed the last North America Desmosedici service training. The bike checked out perfect. No issues to address. Changed the oil and coolant just for good measure.

I completed the title process and already received the Texas title.

I am so thankful that the import went through flawlessly. Monette Sports in Laval, Montreal were great to work with.

First ride impressions. It is loud. Really gets the attention of other motorists. Like my other Ducati's, stop lights are not your friend. It builds heat pretty fast sitting still. It feels really good at speed: light , fast and nimble as a GP bike should. Luckily I live outside of the city so I can ride some nice rural roads.

I spent Sat night installing a few pieces to personalize it a bit.

Watched the MotoGP race today and then went out for a ride. It was perfect Sunday afternoon.

Looking forward to a long relationship with the D16RR!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.