Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've had my Desmo a while now and had a few steadyish rides out as the tyres were 11 years old and I've since fitted some new Bridgestone S22s (of course Bridgestones, sympathetic to the original bike/era), and enjoyed a few more spirited rides since. I have a 17 inch Cattiva magnesium road legal rear to allow me to fit modern rubber. The bike had a GP7 set up from around 2009 I think and it was remapped at Ducati Coventry at the time to 200BHP at the crank, from showing around 175/180.

My observations so far...

This is a very special bike to ride. It's horrible to ride slow, but I like it for that reason and it was never designed to. Soooo tall geared, grabby clutch, boils your thighs/legs etc. But once it hits 9,500rpm on the open road, WOW! It also goes turbine like smooth past 9,500rpm and just wants to be above that in its sweet spot. But it's also super tractable low down. It's so stable, that is a big observation and no wheelie machine. It just drives. Don't get me wrong it will wheelie, but it's designed for driving forward with traction of course. Engine braking is unreal. Never owned a bike with that much and clearly due to the high compression. I actually find it quite comfortable but my god it's stiff, even backing off the compression and preload. On the bumpy roads I tend to ride it like a real road racer, up on the pegs and bum off the seat. I talked with Ducati Coventry and they said quite a few people have had it resprung as the springs are just too stiff. I'm actually tempted to do that, as I will ride it and it's a keeper. The only other thing I might do is go one tooth less on the front sprocket and one or two teeth more on the back, just to make use of the gears on the road.

The other overriding impression I get is how good these MotoGP riders are to ride these things to the max in the day. I'm scratching the surface on mine.

What an amazing machine.

Rich

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all,

I've had my Desmo a while now and had a few steadyish rides out as the tyres were 11 years old and I've since fitted some new Bridgestone S22s (of course Bridgestones, sympathetic to the original bike/era), and enjoyed a few more spirited rides since. I have a 17 inch Cattiva magnesium road legal rear to allow me to fit modern rubber. The bike had a GP7 set up from around 2009 I think and it was remapped at Ducati Coventry at the time to 200BHP at the crank, from showing around 175/180.

My observations so far...

This is a very special bike to ride. It's horrible to ride slow, but I like it for that reason and it was never designed to. Soooo tall geared, grabby clutch, boils your thighs/legs etc. But once it hits 9,500rpm on the open road, WOW! It also goes turbine like smooth past 9,500rpm and just wants to be above that in its sweet spot. But it's also super tractable low down. It's so stable, that is a big observation and no wheelie machine. It just drives. Don't get me wrong it will wheelie, but it's designed for driving forward with traction of course. Engine braking is unreal. Never owned a bike with that much and clearly due to the high compression. I actually find it quite comfortable but my god it's stiff, even backing off the compression and preload. On the bumpy roads I tend to ride it like a real road racer, up on the pegs and bum off the seat. I talked with Ducati Coventry and they said quite a few people have had it resprung as the springs are just too stiff. I'm actually tempted to do that, as I will ride it and it's a keeper. The only other thing I might do is go one tooth less on the front sprocket and one or two teeth more on the back, just to make use of the gears on the road.

The other overriding impression I get is how good these MotoGP riders are to ride these things to the max in the day. I'm scratching the surface on mine.

What an amazing machine.

Rich
Hi Rich,
I had my suspicion done at Ducati Coventry and it made a big difference on the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks and good to know. I'm sure a spring change front and rear would make all the difference.

Rich

1 - 3 of 3 Posts