Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched around and was wondering what the average Joe with a 1098 is paying for full-coverage? Geico is around $800/yr, Allstate is $730/yr for me. Progressive was smoking crack at $2700/yr and Nationwide was a bit high at $1030/yr.

Right now Allstate is the winner but I'd be willing to look somewhere else if anyone's got a suggestion. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I got a quote from USAA which uses Progressive. They wanted 1800 per year. I think I am going to get liability only which is $180 per year. The bike will be garaged and I will be riding it for fun. I figure paying $1000+ per year extra, I can invest that and pray that I do not crash in 2 years and I should be ok. and Yes, I will have chicken strips on my tires for at least 2 years then I will push the limit a little bit after that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Actually just signed up for mine today for my base model 1098 with State Farm. Full coverage is $540/yr. Of course I'm 45 y/o and have been with State Farm since I was 16 y/o so get there lowest "mutual company" rates. Don't know what it would be without that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've been with USAA for over 15 years, if you are new to them your bike insurance will be high because they use Progressive. If you are lucky enough to already have had a bike insured with them before they made that change you would pay much less. Since I'm "grandfathered" in my quote is for $510/year full coverage (single/33 yrs old). Word to the wise- for those of you with an "old" USAA plan don't cancel/lose it, a friend of mine did and now he can't get those rates back.

·
Registered
370 Posts
DucMike said:
I've been with USAA for over 15 years, if you are new to them your bike insurance will be high because they use Progressive. If you are lucky enough to already have had a bike insured with them before they made that change you would pay much less. Since I'm "grandfathered" in my quote is for $510/year full coverage (single/33 yrs old). Word to the wise- for those of you with an "old" USAA plan don't cancel/lose it, a friend of mine did and now he can't get those rates back.
yep that's me... I had USAA for my Ducati 998 which I sold it about 1 1/2 years ago. Anyhow, I think it was $480 a year and I was 30 years old.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am 25...and being my first duke...and pretty much my first bike (cause my bros zx 6r prob doesnt count) I am gonna get hammered in terms of insurance....though i have a clean record.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll keep checking...I HAD USAA cycle insurance back in the day on my GSXR 750. You're right, it was cheap: $480/yr cheap! Unfortunately, it is no more. I'm 35, married and my record is fine. I think I'll check into State Farm and see if they can hook me up. Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
370 Posts
dp1098 said:
I'll keep checking...I HAD USAA cycle insurance back in the day on my GSXR 750. You're right, it was cheap: $480/yr cheap! Unfortunately, it is no more. I'm 35, married and my record is fine. I think I'll check into State Farm and see if they can hook me up. Thanks for the info...
Let me know because I'll probably follow your foot steps since we are both in VA.

·
Registered
547 Posts
DucMike said:
Better get that in writing, like I did, things may change once you give them a VIN.
Already did, they are well aware of this bike. My sister has her 748 with the same agent and hers is around $480. state farm is really good with bikes. some companies just don't want to bother covering bikes so they jack the costs up 2-3x's. They told me that any European bike will always be cheaper to insure than Japanese bikes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I found Geiko was the best...

31y/o, clean record, $601/yr. 1098 base. This is with 250 deductables on both comp and collision, 100/300, and everything else bumped up for coverages.

It was $530/year with the cheapest "full coverage" plan and $500 deductables.

State farm was about $100 cheaper than that, but you need to have auto insurance with them also... the combo with my car was not as cheap for me.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I think there's already been a thread on this but... I went to my state farm agent(columbus ohio) and found that my rates are staying the same because they strictly go by displacement.
I don't know about other states but you guys ought to be checking state farm(I have no affiliation), Here they don't care that the 1098 is "the newest hot bike to have", My BMW R1150R (1150c.c)=approx $430yr, Ducati 1098(1099c.c)= approx $460yr. The only other thing that factors in is your driving record. ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I pay $80/six months for liability only with Allstate. 54yo with a fairy clean record :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldn't dare do "liability only" in D.C. Hell, I'm crazy enough already for riding here period!

·
Registered
370 Posts
dp1098 said:
I wouldn't dare do "liability only" in D.C. Hell, I'm crazy enough already for riding here period!
Agreed. I do not plan on driving into DC.
I use to work in DC and I rode my 998 and got hit by a dumb A**. She claimed that she didn't see me. The funny part is that I was able to drive away and she had to get a tow truck!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow, I'm paying $260/yr on the 1098 and another $260 on my R1 for liability only (until the season actually starts). This is with Progressive, and they wanted over $2k for full coverage. I really need to check with State Farm. Oh, and I'm 25 in NY, one infraction on my record (not speeding).

Anyone else have experience insuring their 1098 in NY?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts