Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 916 has started to misfire and I thought it was the tps as in my blog back in 2006 I remember how it only started as soon as the bike hit normal temperature.

Now the misfire seems to happen at different times. I went out yesterday and it was fine on a long run. The other day i only managed a few miles then it started. Another day I managed 30mins before it started.

I am going through other checks first as the tps units are not available.

The bike starts ok normally revs ok as I get a few miles down the road when the temperature is up to normal. This is normally when It starts to misfire bad enough for it to cough and splutter and cut out. I can pull over wait a minute start it up again and pull off. On the way back it keeps misfiring coughing.

I took out the plugs and they look normal colour. I have iridium plugs and am going to put normal plugs in.

I have taken the crank sensor off and tested it. 695 ohms. Twisted and bent the wire but no change so assume this is ok.

I took the tank off and where the engine breather is I can see the little are in front of the pipe has water. Also when I put the key in the bike tank. Water comes out of the key where it goes in the tank cap. I wonder if this is water in the petrol. I am going to drain the tank down. I normally cover the bike up out side but have left it with out cover lately.

Any other things I should check? coil? the tps I can see as I wind up the throttle that it shows a change in the meter as the movement is made. This makes me think it is the tps. When i switch the engine off. Open and close the throttle several times. Then bike then starts and misfires erratically. This makes me think it is sending the wrong readings to the ecu to run correctly.

thanks in advance Vince (vinnychoff)https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/yourphotos?pid=6127638945112507490&oid=103042217879481896257

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I think i hope that i have found the issue. i have drained the tank. the bucket was dirty before but have a look. you can see water in the bottom of the bucket as i drained it out of the tank. i am off to get fresh petrol and am cleaning the tank out.

here is to splutter free driving hope fully.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Replace that fuel filter whilst there isn't any fuel in the tank! You may have damaged it if there was that much water sitting around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.