Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a strange defect with my 2012 Evo (27,000km, regularly serviced at Ducati).

I went for a run yesterday, at a fairly 'committed' pace, much as normal; bike is on song, a total joy, no issues. I stopped for fuel and a coffee, so maybe a twenty minute stop; immediately after I remount for the return leg, I am getting a hesitation, symptoms as follows

Symptoms:
- reluctant to rev past about 7,000 rpm
- revs will rise 'if forced', but slowly and reluctantly...
- it's not 'misfiring' as such but it is reluctant to accelerate.
- ...it almost feels like fuel starvation?
- similar problem in all gears
- seems ok in neutral
- seems to drive ok at neutral throttle (I came back most of the way at about 6,000 rpm and it was 'ok')
- I have not forced it to rev when it shows these symptoms...so I am 'limping' home

Observations:
- does not show problem from cold (was good and quick)
- no warning lights are showing (no error codes stored)
- coolant temp normal: 80-90C when moving (never passes 104C even when stationary, ambient is 35-40C, I'm in the desert!)
- I check coolant and oil levels every week...both are correct, never had to add to either since Day 1).
- I have experienced this problem previously (about 4 months ago), I took it into the dealer...at that time changes included plugs, air filter, fuel flushed and it was eventually resolved by a new rpm sensor.
- problem seems to go away once bike has cooled (i.e. when left for several hours or overnight)
- symptoms don't seem to get any worse once they show up, i.e. once it starts to run a little rough it's not getting any worse...and it seems to drive ok as long as you don't force it to rev beyond 6-7,000 rpm
This manifests in any gear.

I've read that the stator/voltage regulator connector can be a suspect, or the coils? It seems unlikely the rpm sensor has degraded in just four months(?)...but I am at a loss...the symptoms are exactly those I saw four months ago.
It is made worse by the fact that there is no problem when starting form cold.

The key thing I've noticed is that the problem ONLY shows when I have stopped a short break after a fairly hard run (i.e. not for a quick re-fuel).

Any ideas...this is baffling me!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting thoughts...fuel filter definitely worth a look...but why would this appear after a brief cool down period...and go away once totally cooled down? Re: vents; I guess there could be something strange going on through a heating/cooling cycle maybe? Still doesn't seem to scan to me though. I can't help feeling it's electrical (coils could be a good point)...something is going bad once it cools from running temp, and reverts to normal once it's totally cold again...I fear this is going to be a long chase...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
fuel filter definitely worth a look...but why would this appear after a brief cool down period...and go away once totally cooled down?
By design, the computer supplies additional fuel during warm-up, so it is compensating for the reduced fuel flow through the dirty fuel filter. In your case, once the engine coolant is warm, the computer reduces fuel enrichment and the filter-restricted flow makes the bike run lean and is unable to suppy enough fuel at higher rpm.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm getting a strange defect with my 2012 Evo (27,000km, regularly serviced at Ducati).

I went for a run yesterday, at a fairly 'committed' pace, much as normal; bike is on song, a total joy, no issues. I stopped for fuel and a coffee, so maybe a twenty minute stop; immediately after I remount for the return leg, I am getting a hesitation, symptoms as follows

Symptoms:
- reluctant to rev past about 7,000 rpm
- revs will rise 'if forced', but slowly and reluctantly...
- it's not 'misfiring' as such but it is reluctant to accelerate.
- ...it almost feels like fuel starvation?
- similar problem in all gears
- seems ok in neutral
- seems to drive ok at neutral throttle (I came back most of the way at about 6,000 rpm and it was 'ok')
- I have not forced it to rev when it shows these symptoms...so I am 'limping' home

Observations:
- does not show problem from cold (was good and quick)
- no warning lights are showing (no error codes stored)
- coolant temp normal: 80-90C when moving (never passes 104C even when stationary, ambient is 35-40C, I'm in the desert!)
- I check coolant and oil levels every week...both are correct, never had to add to either since Day 1).
- I have experienced this problem previously (about 4 months ago), I took it into the dealer...at that time changes included plugs, air filter, fuel flushed and it was eventually resolved by a new rpm sensor.
- problem seems to go away once bike has cooled (i.e. when left for several hours or overnight)
- symptoms don't seem to get any worse once they show up, i.e. once it starts to run a little rough it's not getting any worse...and it seems to drive ok as long as you don't force it to rev beyond 6-7,000 rpm
This manifests in any gear.

I've read that the stator/voltage regulator connector can be a suspect, or the coils? It seems unlikely the rpm sensor has degraded in just four months(?)...but I am at a loss...the symptoms are exactly those I saw four months ago.
It is made worse by the fact that there is no problem when starting form cold.

The key thing I've noticed is that the problem ONLY shows when I have stopped a short break after a fairly hard run (i.e. not for a quick re-fuel).

Any ideas...this is baffling me!
I posted the same thing about a year ago. I have only noticed it once at the track. I did one lap under limited power like you stated, came back in turned everything off and started it back up. I did let the dash cycle one full time before I started it. Luckily I haven't had this issue again. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back at the dealer, hoping for a bit more research before I take it out on the weekend.

Shazaam,
Apparently fuel filter replaced only a few months back...so I'm guessing that's off the list.
Also it runs good for a full tankful...ie well past the 'choke' being turned off...so thanks for the thought but don't think that's it...it's only manifesting one I've done a hundred miles or more (with no problems), refuelled, and sitting turned off for twenty mins.

[email protected]
Coils to be tested...will let you know.

The dealer is going to check some circuits/resistances and reset TPS...I'm hopeful, but not convinced...I don't think they know what it is. I fear I'll have to take it for a run and tip up with it running rough, and maybe that'll give them a better clue.

I'm convinced it's something to do with the warm up / cool down cycle...

Hopeing to know more in a few days...but if anyone's got any bright ideas I'm all ears!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
When they re-attached the lines for the fuel filter, they didn't use the right fittings and it's causing a leak. The clue is the fact the filter had been changed recently, thats a dead give away.

Ignition coils generally work or not work, it's not dependent on RPM.

Fueling however, is dependent very much on the bike's RPM. Remember, the bike has TPS sensor to tell the ECU how much throttle you have and delivers fuel based that location AND a fueling map. So if it has low fuel pressure, the injectors will fire faster, but the fuel pressure will be stagnant. So this is why fueling is most likely the problem. Whether it's inside the tank or simply a bad TPS, thats a different story. Both are very easy to check by the dealer. TPS can be checked by the user, all you need is a multimeter with ohm gauge.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tuned,
Interesting...and definitely worth a look. The dealer has suggested maybe swapping over tanks with a known good one (which I guess will resolve pump/lines/leaks issue), but if you're right how does this square with the intermittent nature of the fault? That's what baffles me...every time I go out from cold it's behaving fine. Even when I took it to the dealer yesterday (some ten miles or so) it was right as rain and revved up to 10,000+ no problem.
This fault only shows after a good long run (tankful of fuel) and having sat unattended for say 15-20 minutes....as soon as it cools down properly (ie a few hours after I get back from a run out is it 'back to normal').

Still baffled!?!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Perhaps your tank isn't venting properly? That would for sure cause an intermittent issue. It takes a long run to get the tank/fuel hot and if the gasses keep building in the tank, that could lead to it not running right for sure. Now that you mention the exact circumstances… I'm more and more sure it's something to do with the fueling, tank side not electronics side. What I'd do is remove the charcoal canister entirely, take the hoses from the tank and point them right at the ground to see if that resolves anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tuned,
Thanks for that, will definitely look into it...
Don't think I have charcoal canister as I'm running a Euopean spec, and I believe the charcoal was a North American thing...need to check tho. Won't get to it for a week or so mind as I'll probably get back from dealer next week, so 'test' run following weekend. If the fault I s still showing up after this dealer visit I'll probably give up on them and start systematic replacements...
...this could get pricey :-/
I'll keep posting...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My charcoal canister was removed shortly after purchase and I still got the hesitation so I doubt that's the problem. Patiently waiting to hear results.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the mystery continues...back from dealer, no error codes found. Air filter was quite dirty, this has been cleaned and they ran it with no issues. I ran it for 400km on the weekend...no issues! In fact it was running well! I'm beginning to think its a dirty air filter...I am literally running in the desert...so maybe I just need to be more rigorous with filter cleaning. I'm planning to order an MWR or K&N and clean it every other run 800kms...let's hope that cures the gremlins! I live in hope!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Dirty air filter could for sure be the problem, glad it seems to be better. ;)

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Glad it seems to be better. Given where you are riding it you probably need to service filters more often than recommended. Air, fuel and oil.

Just on the fuel filter - be aware that a fuel filter does not last a certain period, and then need replacement. It only takes one load of shitty fuel to restrict it.

Probably worth replacing it at less than the recommended interval. A partial fuel blockage can cause it to run hot remember, and if you do most of your riding in desert conditions..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, totally agree with you Pat, generally doing all fluids and filters very 3,000km...conditions can be a bit aggressive here! MVR filters just arrived...posted a new thread about how these interact with the ECU! Hopefully I can just swap out the OEM DP filter, I have MVR cleaning fluid and oil. Probably should have found out about requirement for re-mapping first eh!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts