Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! i'm new here, of course, with questions!!

Two weeks ago i highsided my '05 999 on the track. got a bunch of tiny little damage and i'm trying to fix it up myself. I have very litle experience performing repairs myself, BUT i'm motivated.

I wore a hole completely through the lower left fairing (and ground down a portion of my waterpump as well?). I got a new lower fairing off ebay, and i'm trying to separate the pieces. The ones with a allen wrench and a nut are easy enough, but theres like 3 (ish?) toward the 'front' that dont seem to have any nut to hold onto?

It's right there where that little cowl piece attaches. It's gotta be something i'm missing?

can anyone offer words of wisdom? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks so much!! cant wait to get her going again :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
The fin has a nutplate inside of it. Just put the allen wrench into the bolt and undo it. Be careful not to strip them out, theyre bitches to get out if you do. Welcome to the forum and have fun rebuilding her. I just did something similar to what your doing. Youll become really familiar with the bike fast and love her that much more when you do the work yourself. If you have any questions this is def the place to search and ask. Have fun and post some pics of the paint scheme when you get done.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sorry about your crash!

Yea, those little screws have well nuts which expand into the fairing which holds them together.

Water pump cover is no big deal to replace, it always gets damaged when you go down on the left side.

Under fairing frame sliders help with preventing crash damage like that, just something to think about for the future.

You also may consider doing a fairing conversion to track bits, which makes it a lot easier to deal with in the future.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a set of through body sliders that will help protect a lot of this stuff for sale lol

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
Welcome aboard, sorry you went down! Pics always help these guys. And helps guys like me get a little educated :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks so much for the help!! Happy to report im well on my way getting her "road worthy". It took me ALL DAY the other day. But i was able to:

Replace the left clip on, clutch line and reservoir. (Which i was pertty darn proud of my self for figuring out how to bleed it!!!) And i (sort of) put together some rear set foot pegs, from china, but i havent gotten them adjusted, or figured out the linkage.

ill get some pictures up soon!!

But while im here, someone mentioned frame sliders, has the general outlook on those changed? I heard somewhere that they can be bad for the frame because they'll take most of the weight in a crash and potentially bend it? They sound so wonderful!!

Also; one of the linkage pieces that came with my rear sets seems to be a direct link to the... ummm...transmission (?) .. so shifting would be "opposite" i heard that legit racers do it that way, but do you have an opinion on it? Only reason im even interested is it would extend the shift lever about 3/4" which seems more comfortable. I only ride this bike on the track ... whaddya think?

I SO appreciate the feedback, and my bike thanks you too!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Reverse shift is the way to go. Linked shifting systems have slop and you loose a lot of feeling, something that's already lacking since there is another link inside the engine cases up to the shifting drum. Every Ducati I've owned or setup for a customer has a direct shift lever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts