Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, back again and not trying to open a can of worms, but...Is the extra $2000 for a full system over slipons really worth it?

I do not plan to spend any time at the track.

After having been in an accident and months of fighting with the insurance company, they have finally agreed to repaired the bike. By making a few changes to the parts listed in the estimate, I am left with the choice of installing a full Akrapovic system OR I could go slipons and a few extra goodies...Is it worth the extra money?

If I go with the full system ($3478), I would not have enough left over to take care of the ECU and tuning so that would have to come out of pocket.

If I go with the slipons ($1211), I can put that $2267 towards a microtec ECU and dyno tune and get a few other things as well.

Without this sudden inflow of cash for repair I would never consider paying that much for an exhaust system, but now.......

If I'm not going to the track, is it worth it other than cool points for a full system? Any other bike I would go full system all the way...but any other bike the full system is the same price as my slipon option for the Duc.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
From what I have heard, read, seen on dyno, etc. The full system on the 848 will only give you a couple more horsepower. If you are not planning on tracking or racing I would stick with the slip on system and dedicated ECU. You would get better performance on a full system for the 1098 and 1198, but still not worth it if you are only riding on the street. The larger diameter pipes may look sexier but will not accomplish much outside of depleting funds.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Rob, not sure what model Evo you have. If you have a Corse. The last time I checked Microtec doesn't make an ECU that supports the Quick Shifter or the Traction Control. I was told they wouldn't be making one, so I haven't looked in 2 years.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob, not sure what model Evo you have. If you have a Corse. The last time I checked Microtec doesn't make an ECU that supports the Quick Shifter or the Traction Control. I was told they wouldn't be making one, so I haven't looked in 2 years.
Yes I do have a Corse...good to know and I will check that out...Dont wan tot lose the traction control or quick shift.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If I'm not going to the track, is it worth it other than cool points for a full system?
In my opinion, no, the slip-on is the better choice.

Aftermarket systems offer two improvements — well three, if you count the improved exhaust sound.

The improvement to horsepower output at the highest range of engine rpm is important if your bike will live at the redline at the track. You don't track your bike so there's no significant benefit to the small additional hp (full system vs. slip-on.)

The improvement to torque output between 4,000 and 6,000 rpm where you do most of your riding is important on the street. Here the slip-on and full system provide the same level of improvement. Go to the Akrapovic website and compare dyno results to see for yourself.

Without additional improvements to the air intake side of the engine, a stock engine simply can't take full advantage of a full exhaust system.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Exhaust upgrade is worth it. It made my bike behave how I wished it should have been from the factory.

Is it worth thousands of dollar? Not really. I rather buy another motorcyle and double the fun. But this is coming from a guy who doesn't want to spend a single dime on mods but want all the mods in the world. In the end I got a smoking deal on it and I made money selling stuff so it was basically just a 100$ upgrade for me. Totally worth it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from Ducshop...you are correct! Microtec does not support the 848 Corse models...Mark said it wont even plug in as they changed some of the pins.

·
Registered
449 Posts
My first 1098 had slip ons, small improvement. My 2nd 1098 has full Leo Vince SBK, very much more awesome. Feels more powerful everywhere. Maybe look for a used full system? The larger-bore headers make an obvious difference, in my opinion

1 - 11 of 11 Posts