Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In India, we have issues which relates to engine failing to start, delayed starting and stalling. Majority of defect relate to Desmo valves and dusty conditions as seen in India. Many Ducati Hypermotard\Hyperstrada are noticed with the issue, apart from throttle body cleaning as a frequent exercise on many other Ducati motorcycles.

In which all countries, are people facing issues which require routine throttle body cleaning and Desmo Valve adjustments ? For more details kindly watch the following video and comment.

Best Wishes

Is Ducati Desmo Valve Unreliable and Causing Abnormal Engine Wear? Oil Analysis

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Sounds like complete bulls*t to me. Must be another spammer/scammer…

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
It would appear to me that your problems are more environment related and the not so stellar performance of ducatis intake filtration.
I would be paying attention to filtration .
Most Ducati owners I know change their oil more frequently than the recommended interval.
Royal Enfield are Indian made yes?
Made for local conditions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would appear to me that your problems are more environment related and the not so stellar performance of ducatis intake filtration.
Most Ducati owners I know change their oil more frequently than the recommended interval.
Royal Enfield Himalayan is one such motorcycle which was built after a lot of trails in Himalayan mountain region. On the other hand Ducati, a very high performance machine, was introduced in the Indian market without any R&D to understand if the local dusty conditions of India, will cause any affect on its engine.

Throttle body cleaning on Ducati is quite a frequent activity seen in India which only points towards the air filtration. It could be just the air filter element, the filter gasket sealing or the ducting which needs a proper study otherwise many will learn the lessons in hardways.

Yes, Himalayan has been made as per Indian conditions and generally such wear and tear is not noticed on these motorcycles.

More about Royal Enfield Himalayan

Certainly, we will appreciate if you can suggest changes in air filter design or the element.

best regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Good Afternoon,
Is there any document which talks about filtration capacity of Ducati paper filters in terms of microns ? Or if you can help know me some figures ?
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That FortNine video is a bit of a red herring....it was an analysis of engine oil after running in and was meant to demonstrate the importance of manufacturing tolerances and clinical assembly regimes....but we digress.

The issue is why there seems to be lots of "injector cleaning" going on? What is getting clogged? Remember, the fuel/air is separated until downstream of the injector, so if the injector nozzles are clogging, it must be contaminants in the fuel that have got past the fuel filter....

Operating any engine in a high-dust environment ain't gonna do it any good. So enhanced filter maintenance regime required.

I think the comments re. the desmo valve operation are a bit suspect. Sure, if Ducati engines have got a mechanism that other engines haven't- i.e. the valve closers - then they have something extra that will wear - but to extrapolate that fact back to the (unrelated) oil cleanliness video first referenced is going a bit too far.

Just my 2p worth.

Oh, and did no-one consider the potential offense that the BS image could have caused given the fact that the OP is clearly of Indian origin?

Hmm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That FortNine video is a bit of a red herring....it was an analysis of engine oil after running in and was meant to demonstrate the importance of manufacturing tolerances and clinical assembly regimes....but we digress.

The issue is why there seems to be lots of "injector cleaning" going on? What is getting clogged? Remember, the fuel/air is separated until downstream of the injector, so if the injector nozzles are clogging, it must be contaminants in the fuel that have got past the fuel filter....

Operating any engine in a high-dust environment ain't gonna do it any good. So enhanced filter maintenance regime required.

I think the comments re. the desmo valve operation are a bit suspect. Sure, if Ducati engines have got a mechanism that other engines haven't- i.e. the valve closers - then they have something extra that will wear - but to extrapolate that fact back to the (unrelated) oil cleanliness video first referenced is going a bit too far.

Just my 2p worth.

Oh, and did no-one consider the potential offense that the BS image could have caused given the fact that the OP is clearly of Indian origin?

Hmm.
I appreciate your level headed response. I think the first couple of commenters mean well, but probably suspected some sort of scam, but I believe OP to be a genuine contributor looking for answers. Let's try to be proper Ducatisti and not take offensive shots at a well intentioned poster,

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
There IS a fundamental flaw in the air filtration system of some Ducati models, including the 1098/1198 series. Well several really - it's a poor design for such an otherwise excellent machine, with poor access etc. - but the problem that allows dust into the airbox relates to an imperfect seal (from stock) where the air intake ducts meet the sides of the airbox. These ducts rely on the dimensions of both the element, which crosses between both ducts, and the airbox itself, to seal from the elements, as well as against the ends of the filter.
Adding a second or thicker gasket at the triangular 'ports' where the ducts meet the sides of the airbox is usually all that is required, and if the element is replaced with the washable K & N filter, such gaskets are supplied with it. The problem is a mismatch of the two dimensions - the width of the filter element, and that of the airbox - as both are meant to seal against the ducts.
But there is no reliability issue with these engines such as you are asking about. I have owned and worked on Ducati twins for 48 years now, and they have just got better and better over this time. Design and quality. I completely dismantled and 'went through' my 1098 engine at 76,000 kms (a long story with pics on this in the forum: I think it was titled Pat's Engine Job or something, if it's still available) and it hardly needed anything. I replaced the piston assemblies, to keep it feeling new, and replaced the big-end shells. And little else, apart from an improved gearchange detent mechanism, and all the fasteners in titanium. Polished rockers, conrods, ports etc etc. It already had Ergal lighweight cam pulleys.
The engine had a remarkable lack of wear, in spite of regular sessions at Phillip Island, and the similarly dusty conditions of rural Australia as those you are concerned about in India (a country I travelled extensively). The 1098 has over 98,000 kms on it now, and still performs as good as new. Modified, lightened, ported, Termignoni exhaust etc etc. A fantastic machine. Apart from the early radiator issues, it has been a trouble-free bike for that distance.
So focus on sealing up your air intake system, and maybe consider a washable K & N filter, with their 'cleaning kit', and continue to enjoy your Ducati. They are a special machine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There IS a fundamental flaw in the air filtration system of some Ducati models, including the 1098/1198 series. Well several really - it's a poor design for such an otherwise excellent machine, with poor access etc. - but the problem that allows dust into the airbox relates to an imperfect seal (from stock) where the air intake ducts meet the sides of the airbox. These ducts rely on the dimensions of both the element, which crosses between both ducts, and the airbox itself, to seal from the elements, as well as against the ends of the filter.
Adding a second or thicker gasket at the triangular 'ports' where the ducts meet the sides of the airbox is usually all that is required, and if the element is replaced with the washable K & N filter, such gaskets are supplied with it. The problem is a mismatch of the two dimensions - the width of the filter element, and that of the airbox - as both are meant to seal against the ducts.
But there is no reliability issue with these engines such as you are asking about. I have owned and worked on Ducati twins for 48 years now, and they have just got better and better over this time. Design and quality. I completely dismantled and 'went through' my 1098 engine at 76,000 kms (a long story with pics on this in the forum: I think it was titled Pat's Engine Job or something, if it's still available) and it hardly needed anything. I replaced the piston assemblies, to keep it feeling new, and replaced the big-end shells. And little else, apart from an improved gearchange detent mechanism, and all the fasteners in titanium. Polished rockers, conrods, ports etc etc. It already had Ergal lighweight cam pulleys.
The engine had a remarkable lack of wear, in spite of regular sessions at Phillip Island, and the similarly dusty conditions of rural Australia as those you are concerned about in India (a country I travelled extensively). The 1098 has over 98,000 kms on it now, and still performs as good as new. Modified, lightened, ported, Termignoni exhaust etc etc. A fantastic machine. Apart from the early radiator issues, it has been a trouble-free bike for that distance.
So focus on sealing up your air intake system, and maybe consider a washable K & N filter, with their 'cleaning kit', and continue to enjoy your Ducati. They are a special machine.
That's a very professional and technical reply from a person who has worked for 48 years on these Ducati engines. Moreover, you are quite familiar with Indian dusty conditions, so that adds to the issue we are talking.
I absolutely agree that Ducati is high performance machine, except that they need to be more user friendly (in terms of access to air filter) and also be strictly be protected by the dirt.
I thank you very much for sharing your most valuable inputs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's a very professional and technical reply from a person who has worked for 48 years on these Ducati engines. Moreover, you are quite familiar with Indian dusty conditions, so that adds to the issue we are talking.
I absolutely agree that Ducati is high performance machine, except that they need to be more user friendly (in terms of access to air filter) and also be strictly be protected by the dirt.
I thank you very much for sharing your most valuable inputs.
Glad you got a sensible answer. I think I agree. Still, think what it was like when we had to run bellmouths with a bit of mesh on the inlet side of our Dellorto's! They would stop pebbles, chickens and small children from being sucked into the engine but not a lot else!

Oh, BTW, I take on board the difference between throttle bodies and injectors. Yes, dust in the inlet tracts would cause a need to clean the throttle body assembly.

Hey, where in India are you located?

I've only visited once, I have a friend who lives in Goa, but I would love to see more! Where would you suggest (that's good for motorcycling)?

Nice to have some input from a region that is a bit under-represented in the Ducatisphere.

Cheers

S23

1 - 14 of 14 Posts