Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if everyone who now has there 1098s is happy with the all round build quality? Things like welds, paint work and general finish? I was wondering because I'm moving from Honda to Ducati for the first time and Honda is renoune for it's excellent build quality. I'm hoping Ducati is too ! I know the Duke factory is running at max capacity to get our orders out, I just hope there not cutting corners!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well My 1098 is still on its way so i cant comment on that bike, nor would i expect it to be any different in build quality than other duc's. Ive been around Ducati's for over 10 years and IMO the engineering and build quality are better than Jap bikes. IMO

Your stating that your coming from a Honda, Are you Aware of the Maintenance frequency and costs that come with ownership of Ducati's? Your gonna have to be on time with the valve adjustments and belt replacements, other wise the ducati wont be running to well. A lot of first time owners who had jap bikes before get shocked when they find out the price for maintaince of the duc's. I'm not saying that its a lot of money for me, IMO its money well spent to insure a long running reliable bike that wont let you down. However most owners of jap bikes are really only use to having the oil changed and that's it. So that's where the price shock might come in, since the valve adj price is far from the price of an oil change.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am very happy with mine. Having owned MV's, Aprilias and most of the Jap bikes at one time or other. I would say the build quality is up there with the best of them. You have to remember, this is a bike with a racing heritage. Most race bikes even the Japanese ones aren't that pretty to look at up close. IMHO, I have not seen anything on mine that begs a 'now what is that?' or a 'hmm..wonder if they could have done this a better way?'. :)

I am one happy owner.

·
Registered
40 Posts
if you wish todo your own maintaince taking apart the ducati for the first acouple times will take longer then most bikes. Also, the 1098 for some reason came with plastic pulleys, which could cause problems depending on how you treat the bike or how the plastic piece was actually manufacturered. Like KILAT said, looking at the ducati 1098 in person is something else. There is no other bike like it. I've seen the 916, 999, etc. This is the best looking bike so far. If you manage your money correctly, maybe change the pulleys from plastic to steel, I think you'll be ok. Hell. I bet your honda weighs only 30-40 lbs less then 1098 fully laden.

·
Registered
100 Posts
liquidair said:
Also, the 1098 for some reason came with plastic pulleys,
Pulleys??? I don't think I've ever seen a pulley on a bike, unless it's a Harley with belt drive. What are these pulleys you speak of?

·
Registered
547 Posts
The problem has nothing to do with the pulleys being plastic, it was an interference issue with the cover, and it wasnt on all of the engines.

·
Registered
337 Posts
paul sonderfan said:
Pulleys??? I don't think I've ever seen a pulley on a bike, unless it's a Harley with belt drive. What are these pulleys you speak of?
Its the part that recently resulted in some service recall work as I remember.

On the issue of ownership, I think the common characterization of a Ducati as the motorcycle equivalent of a Ferrari is very accurate.

Up until recently, Ferraris didn't even have decent air conditioning. Same with some complaints of Ducatis have heavy clutch pulls, etc.

Ducatis - like Ferraris - are about performance and physical beauty.

Unfortunately, performance costs - and in the case of Ducatis, its the increased cost of ownership.

I almost bought a used Ferrari, but for routine maintenance its around $9k a year, due in part to the fact that you have to pull the engine out to do a valve adjustment.

C'est la vie.

·
Registered
328 Posts
When I saw the 1098 at the opening in Feb., I was disapointed with the quality of the welds on the swing arm and the exhaust. Ducati has corrected this issue and the quality of the welds is fine. The welds are not as good and the fit and finish is not quite what it is on my Brutale, but for the money I am very impressed with the overall quality of workmanship. Also, it has been my experience that Ducati is all over this bike with regard to warranty concerns. Any little problem that pops up seems to be addressed immediately. Someone at Ducati is paying attention to this and other forums and is correcting problems and preparing dealers with a heads up about possible issues. In the past how many problems with cam belt tensioners would have to have been reported before Ducati responded?

I am very satisfied with the bike, the dealer, and Ducati.

CAG

·
Registered
134 Posts
As far as the build quality is concerned I've got no complaints. The work on the frame, paint and fairing fit is pretty good. Am I a bit surprised to see the same footpegs and clutch/brake reservoirs as on my 998 (ala 1994 design), yes, but I guess they had to draw the line somewhere and if it means they paid more attention to where it counts - engine/suspension - I guess that's OK.

The seat vents are a bit sus though as they don't seem a perfect fit to me and they should have stiffened up the fairing support arms which hold the mirrors. Oh and damn I wish they'd made the fairing sides one piece and kept the dzus fasteners.

Other than that, I've put 1,400kms on mine and apart from 2 screws that fell out (could have been my fault) it's still looking in showroom condition.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with the fairing fasteners but I hear DP may come out with a quick release kit. I'm happy with the fit & finish and only have two small nits: the front lower section of the leftside fairing doesn't fit very well to the vee piece (there's a visible gap between the two on the lower six inches or so) & although its beautiful and all, I don't think the paint on the tank has near the depth of the older bikes and after the first day or two of riding I could see the start of wear on the tank...so it was polished up and a tank guard applied.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Diablo said:
I was just wondering if everyone who now has there 1098s is happy with the all round build quality? Things like welds, paint work and general finish? I was wondering because I'm moving from Honda to Ducati for the first time and Honda is renoune for it's excellent build quality. I'm hoping Ducati is too ! I know the Duke factory is running at max capacity to get our orders out, I just hope there not cutting corners!!
I am in the EXACT same boat as you and have actually hear the welds looked kinda crappy on the 1098 but I am hoping that is not the case.

Jason

·
Registered
62 Posts
What you guys think about the TC, you think they give it a little more effort to the quality. I mean thats the top of the line model right now and I dont see why the paint on the tank as to be weak or nuts falling off :wtf: . Honestly now you guys got me worried. If it is like that you will see my TC on ebay very shortly. I paid 27 grand for my bike and don't expect nothing but perfection, my zx10r was nearly as good as I hoped a bike to be.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Edvin1098s said:
What you guys think about the TC, you think they give it a little more effort to the quality. I mean thats the top of the line model right now and I dont see why the paint on the tank as to be weak or nuts falling off :wtf: . Honestly now you guys got me worried. If it is like that you will see my TC on ebay very shortly. I paid 27 grand for my bike and don't expect nothing but perfection, my zx10r was nearly as good as I hoped a bike to be.
I agree 100%, it should be perfect!

Jason

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a soldier deployed to Iraq right now. We receive very little in the way of new motorcycle news. I understand maintenance costs are higher for a Ducati than most bikes, and that it's a completely different animal than my current bike (1994 Katana 600). So I am expecting a lot of difference in the handling and performance. I was wondering though, how do the owners like the 1098, actually more along the lines of; how often they rode their last bike compared to the 1098. I'm trying to get a bead on it's ride-ability factor as I have dropped $1000 to hold the first '08 coming to my local dealership to pick up when I return from Iraq in late summer this year.
Some more of the questions I have are,
Is the seat comfortable or does it feel like plywood?
The bike is light, but does it manage this without feeling cheap?
How is the bike for passengers?
Is the bike one that you take out only on the weekends or would you ride it to work?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I saw mine today...it looks perfect...I am completely overwhelmed. Our Ducati Tech is installing my clutch cover and pressure plate (couldn't leave with the stock set-up) and I am out on Thursday with my 1098...I am also in NW IL, I signed up for mine in December, and I am good to go...

·
Registered
8 Posts
First of all, thank you for protecting us from terrorists through your service in Iraq. You risk your life for us on a daily basis to protect us, and you are definitely one of my HEROES. If I could join you, I would, but I am 54 and they won't let me serve - I tried. So back to Ducati and your 1098 questions. I have ridden a Ducati since 1995 - a 900SS-SP which I still have and will never part with. It is hard to describe, but trust me on this one...once you get caught up in the Ducati experience, you will NOT LEAVE. It is the bikes, it is the people, it is the beauty of some of the most gorgeous physical/mechanical creations you will ever know...just trust me...come back safe, get your 1098, and you will experience a fundamental life experience that you, like me, will find very difficult to describe, but it will take you to levels of experiencing life that you will totally enjoy. I just ordered the plain, ordinary, base model 1098. But when I walked in today and first laid eyes on her, I experienced a joy that I have seldom ever experienced before. I don't know if you are married, but I am, and still totally in love with my wife after 32 years. Well, seeing my 1098, MY 1098, for the first time, brought back memories of when I first saw my wife at the altar on our wedding day 32+ years ago...it was that feeling that EVERYTHING FELT SO TOTALLY RIGHT. The quality is beautiful, virtually flawless, and the aesthetics are only approached by the MV Augusta, another Italian bike designed by Tamburini, as my 900 was and the 916 was. Just do it, you will love it, coming back you TOTALLY DESERVE IT, and it would be my privilege to some day hook up and ride with you -
Oh, and to answer your questions, Pistol Pete - the seat is fine, if you are riding her the way you should, the last thing you will be thinking of is the seat. Forget about a passenger, when you need to take a passenger, borrow your friend's Harley...this relationship is all about being between you and your
Ducati and the perfect synergy you achieve on your back roads...Yes, you can commute to work, as long as it is not stop and go...mkake sure there's a place to chain her to something immovable so she is still there when you come out to enjoy the run home...trust me, it JUST doesn't get any better. You are now living on the edge...come back, and live life to the fullest, carving up corners on YOUR 1098...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wimpered about some scratches that are only visable under my shops florecent lights. Oh, and two upper fairing screws were missing. The dealer gave me two screws from the next bike that came in.

I LOVE MY BIKE! ITS PERFECT, ITS SEXY! And its mine. Its feeling better every time I ride it.....Damn that break in......very important though..

·
Registered
78 Posts
I commmute to work 40 miles round trip every day. Mostly highway, the seat is fine and it moves like a 600 through traffic. I have similar comments above about polish and the bottom of the fairing. After I adjust the compression in the front forks everything will be perfect!!

This bike is awesome and when you ride it for the first time all of the negative comments and second thoughts will disapear:)

oh yeah, if you are using mostly for the street you may want to change the rear sprocket or front...6th gear is worthless unless you cruise at 100MPH in the fast lane...hahaha

1 - 20 of 31 Posts