Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the look but I would just be ridding it for easy cruising fun and I'm sure it would just be a waist of its potential. It would be my 3rd choice behind a 1200 monster and my front runner the 821 monster.
I'm not saying I wouldn't find a nice twisty road and test some limits but I'm sure the bike would never be pushed anywhere near its limits.
Anyway that's my dilemma! What to do?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I daily mine over 100 miles a day. i love every second of it. i also think they hold their value better. at least they do so far.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
The Superbikes riding position is for racing, not for riding every day. The seat is so slippery, your balls will slam into the tank on deceleration. Your knees are so low they bump into the fairings all the time as well. Plus, unless you've got long arms, the bars are simply too far away, you've always got straight arm syndrome, which sucks.

Having owned THREE Ducati superbikes, two as daily riders, I refuse to own another one as a daily. They're absolutely worthless as street bikes, I've never ridden ANYTHING as uncomfortable. Plus, they overheat when stuck in traffic, they stall when hot as well. The tank is very small (120miles) and a simple tip over literally destroys the fairings.

My favorite Ducati street bike… Monster S4RS. :)

Ducati has SOOOO MANY AWESOME street bikes today from the Streetfighter and Hypermotard to the Multistrada and Monster. Having done the whole superbike as a street bike thing for 4 years, I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Thats the cold, hard, honest truth, no BS "superbike" lover nonsense. Superbikes are for tracks, everything else is for streets. :)

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
I've daily ridden, track day'd, sport toured and canyon rode my 848 for 84,000K now. It does it all quite well and quite comfortably for me. I bought a 696 when they first came out and in 2yrs it saw 3700K and most of that was my wife riding it. Not nearly as fun as the 848. Best thing I ever bought for my bike for comfort was a Sadleman gel seat.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
The Superbikes riding position is for racing, not for riding every day. The seat is so slippery, your balls will slam into the tank on deceleration. Your knees are so low they bump into the fairings all the time as well. Plus, unless you've got long arms, the bars are simply too far away, you've always got straight arm syndrome, which sucks.

Having owned THREE Ducati superbikes, two as daily riders, I refuse to own another one as a daily. They're absolutely worthless as street bikes, I've never ridden ANYTHING as uncomfortable. Plus, they overheat when stuck in traffic, they stall when hot as well. The tank is very small (120miles) and a simple tip over literally destroys the fairings.

My favorite Ducati street bike… Monster S4RS. :)

Ducati has SOOOO MANY AWESOME street bikes today from the Streetfighter and Hypermotard to the Multistrada and Monster. Having done the whole superbike as a street bike thing for 4 years, I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Thats the cold, hard, honest truth, no BS "superbike" lover nonsense. Superbikes are for tracks, everything else is for streets. :)
Mate - why the hell do you keep coming on here with your five minute's worth of Ducati 'experience' and telling people shit?

You have almost nothing good to say about Ducati, and can't wait to tell everyone how you no longer own them. Then you contradict so much of what you spew and tell us how you really love them..

:confused:

How come I've been able to survive 40 years of Ducati ownership - always full-on sport models - and do every manner of riding on all sorts of surfaces?

How about you do this forum a favour and just piss off.

:mad:

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
You have almost nothing good to say about Ducati, and can't wait to tell everyone how you no longer own them. Then you contradict so much of what you spew and tell us how you really love them..
What? I just recommend 5 different Ducati models to the OP which he'll be completely satisfied with.

I love Ducati superbikes, but I'm also willing to admit that they're not great street bikes. There isn't anything worse that I've ridden. I mean, how many miles do you need to log in order to figure that out? 10, maybe 20? I've ridden 30,000 miles on my two daily rider superbikes. None of that is long-distance racking up mileage shit, its all local committing on city streets. The few longer distance rides I tried, I couldn't wait to get off the bike after only a few miles. Maybe its because I don't have any fat on my body to soak up the harsh suspension, maybe its because I don't have money flowing out my ears to buy a better seat, rear sets, riser bars, ya know, the stuff to make it comfortable. Spend thousands making the already expensive bike fit your body better….

Go ride the last generation 2 valve air cooled monster. Wow, what a nice bike, I mean its comfortable, its quiet, its settled and it feels at home on the city streets. The ride and comfort is night and day better then a superbike. I don't know anyone who could disagree with that, not the magazine writers and for sure not owners who are realistic about what "comfort" actually feels like.

The Panigale is SO MUCH MORE comfortable then a superbike. With some MINOR tweaks, the Pani is really a step upwards in comfort for those who MUST HAVE a sport bike for street riding.

How come I've been able to survive 40 years of Ducati ownership - always full-on sport models - and do every manner of riding on all sorts of surfaces?
You only know what you know. If all you've owned is sport bikes, then you're completely bias towards them. I've owned all sorts of motorcycles and my favorite street bike was my last; Duke 690. Its a brilliant bike, it does everything and its cheap. But, I wasn't in love with the motor, so sold it. My next street bike is going to be a Ducati Monster S4RS OR Hypermotard SP. I almost bought an S4RS this year, but the deal fell through when the owner was offered MORE MONEY then what he was asking for. They're in high demand from people like myself, who want a real street bike.

·
Registered
239 Posts
As a prior 848 owner with no mods for comfort, or otherwise, I feel I can offer some advice on this.

I picked up my 848, and put about 1,200 miles on it in about a week, 800 or so of them traveled in two days. I also used it for commuting to work, as well as riding the mountains often in the rain (WA).

Maybe it is my mentality, but I tend to suck it up and deal with a little discomfort in most things, motorcycles included. No, it isn't an armchair on wheels, but calling the 848 a torture rack is just excessive. Yes, I may have been a little sore, but the only thing that really bothered me was the cold, and that really is something that can be mitigated by gear.

All of that being said, I am in good shape, and my body takes a beating regularly being in the Army. Really, it all comes down to a question of whether you can handle it, and if riding a superbike is worth a little discomfort.

I'll be riding the new 1199 in about 4 to 5 days now for ~4,000 miles, the rider geometry would indicate a more comfortable ride, but to be honest I doubt I'll notice too much of a difference.

Oh, and (shameless plug) you guys should follow my facebook (below) for pics, vids, and write-ups for my upcoming trip :D :D

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion...

that being said, my opinion would be to buy a monster. This is what my next bike will be for the street.

I have an 1198- same riding position as the 848. It wears 2 different hats for me- I ride it on the street and the track. Before I started playing on the track with it a few months ago, it was only my streetbike. It is certainly uncomfortable, slightly more than any other sportbike I have owned- but not terribly worse. But what really makes the SBK stand out as the worst street bike I have owned is how much it sucks in traffic. The heat that comes off it feels like I am sitting on a f*cking boiler, not a sportbike. And how choppy it is in lower RPM (yes you can do things to fix this) doesnt help. And the limited fuel range ( 84 miles before my light comes on)....

Those are the only negatives about it. The bike is an effing blast to ride once you get some open road. The exhaust note is phenomenal, and it is just gorgeous.

Now that I play with it on the track, I have fallen completley in love with it. The bike is becoming a dedicated bike over the winter (hence if I buy another bike for the street it will be the 1100EVO Monster). Being able to ride it the way it was designed to be ridden, and pushing both my limits, as well as the bikes limits- is a feeling like nothing I have ever done before. And without doubt- I will never be on a Japanese bike again.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion...

that being said, my opinion would be to buy a monster. This is what my next bike will be for the street.

I have an 1198- same riding position as the 848. It wears 2 different hats for me- I ride it on the street and the track. Before I started playing on the track with it a few months ago, it was only my streetbike. It is certainly uncomfortable, slightly more than any other sportbike I have owned- but not terribly worse. But what really makes the SBK stand out as the worst street bike I have owned is how much it sucks in traffic. The heat that comes off it feels like I am sitting on a f*cking boiler, not a sportbike. And how choppy it is in lower RPM (yes you can do things to fix this) doesnt help. And the limited fuel range ( 84 miles before my light comes on)....

Those are the only negatives about it. The bike is an effing blast to ride once you get some open road. The exhaust note is phenomenal, and it is just gorgeous.

Now that I play with it on the track, I have fallen completley in love with it. The bike is becoming a dedicated bike over the winter (hence if I buy another bike for the street it will be the 1100EVO Monster). Being able to ride it the way it was designed to be ridden, and pushing both my limits, as well as the bikes limits- is a feeling like nothing I have ever done before. And without doubt- I will never be on a Japanese bike again.

Ride a 600 on the track before you swear them off....they are amazingly easy to ride..

I still spent double for my 848 race bike than I could have for a 600..because Ducati's move my soul.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Ride a 600 on the track before you swear them off....they are amazingly easy to ride..

I still spent double for my 848 race bike than I could have for a 600..because Ducati's move my soul.
I have no idea what you are talking about... I havent sworn anything off. I love my bike on the track

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it's all good. What you said they move your soul. I'm heading to Daytona to look at and test ride some Ducati's and my brother is coming with as he maybe driving my car home. The cool thing is my wife said just go for it.
Pre approval from my bank is great! Pre approval from the misses priceless!

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have rode most every bike out there. I still own my 94 Honda cbr600f2, it's highly modified. I have had it for 21 years now, its comfy even with race rearsets, lower wider clip on's. But my 2012 848 EVO I find more comfortable, it's taller seat height compared to my Honda gives me more leg room, even over stock pegs. I sit closer to the bars so that has not been an issue. My seat doesn't slip. The stock pegs are slippery, replaced w/ 1098r pegs there great.I really can't complain about the 848 seat, it's not bad, my Honda seat is probably better for a full fuel tank run on the highway at 180+ miles. The 848 wont go as far on fuel so my ass doesn't get sore. What I have found over the years is if you want to ride hard core race replica type sport bikes, YOU RIDE HARD CORE SPORT BIKES, and your body gets accustomed to it. I rode a H-D superglide from VA to Daytona bike week a few years ago, and when I got to Charlotte I wished I would have rode my F2 instead oh the free loaner H-D. It's a lot of what your use to, unless you have some physical issues of course. Go ride

·
Administrator
2,888 Posts
Yep. I rode the SuperHawk from Atlanta to Boston and back with the only changes to riding position/comfort being a Sargent's saddle and Heli-Bars. Three weeks later, she did a track day at Barber. No other changes. The suspension is quite firm, because I like it that way. Ohlins and RaceTech make it reasonable, while providing more feedback than a Harley rider will ever know! And that, to me, is the biggest difference between riding a sport or supersport and most anything else....you HAVE TO stay connected on them; to the road, to the environment, to the bike. That's not very much to ask, to me at least. I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am also taller, and i absolutely hate 600's. i sold my F4i to buy a bigger R1, and sold the R1 the day after i rode the 848. the seating position is perfect for me. the skinny and taller tank feels great on long rides. I used to complain about sitting in traffic and the heat, but here on the border of mexico with 110+ days, my buddys cbr1000rr is constantly at least 10 degrees hotter then the duc. we switch bikes often and while i love and miss the power of a liter bike, i will eventually just get a 1198 engine to swap in. (im in love with the white/red) i have no issue with the handlebars probably because of my long arms, and my legs align perfectly with the angle of the frame/ fairing, so im not sure what your talking about there either. i personally ride lots of highway and fast sweeping roads, so full fairings are a must. i have ridden 6 hours on a streetfighter and never again. it is very easy to change a few things out like rear-sets, windscreen, seat cover to make it even better. the Panigale is the complete opposite to me. my feet light on fucking fire every time you get into traffic and the bike feels small, hardly comfortable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I'll put it to rest. Just road my new 2014 Ducati home from Daytona Ducati (70 miles of pure joy) what a great sound great ride great great power.
I got the 2014 Ducati 1200 MONSTER!!
They only had the 848 full faired not the street fighter I was interested in.
Only paid $1500 more than the 821 so I ponied up for the bigger bike.
IT'S A BRUTE!!!:kaioken:

·
Official Site Vendor
1,032 Posts
Congrats Daven. That bike should bring many a huge smile on your face for many years to come.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts