Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2011 Ducati 848 EVO with 3400 miles, I bought it earlier this year with 1900 miles from a guy who bought it off his brother. Only took it on a track like 7 times he told me. He dropped it once but got everything fixed so it looks all good. Now I've noticed this since the day I picked it up, it had a wicked rattle at lower rpm's in first and second, sometimes 3rd but not in higher gears. I thought it was initially the wicked loose chain, that's why I bought it and didn't worry much about it. I tightened it, took away some noise but it was still horrible sounding. I looked into it further, lifted up the back tire and did a fresh chain strip with some kerosene and re-lubed it all up. That helped a bit but when I put it in gear on the stand it seems like every rotation the chain goes into a wicked jerk and makes like a jerking noise in the transmission. But not like a low RPM lug. But yet when you give it a few RPM's it goes away like something is loose in the transmission.... It is also not noticeable if you rev bomb it at like 5k> rpms when taking off, then you won't hear it. But i am like 95% sure it is coming from the transmission

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I forgot to mention, I'm not sure if it matters, it has a shorty clutch lever so possibly the guy was never pulling it in far enough when shifting causing wear on the transmission? I'm just not sure

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check chain adjustment at different points in the chain
You could have uneven chain stretch which causes it to whip every rotation also makes hell of a noise
I took a quick look at it earlier when it was up on the stand and just with my fingers and rotating the wheel I couldn't tell anything. But haven't did any actual measuring. You think it could be going with only 3k on it?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good info already posted. It looks too consistent to NOT be the chain. I would mark a point on the chain and touch every link. You should be able to move them fairly easy. If you find a stuck link run solvent over it until you can break it free. Then lube! 3k miles doesn't sound like much but conditions and care matter. This could happen in the first 1k depending on where you live and how you lube it. I might overdue it but replacing a chain costs more than a can of BelRay super clean is virtually sling free so who cares, lube the ish out of it.
BTW - also check the teeth on the rear sprocket. Hopefully a stuck set of links did not do any damage to the teeth. If a tooth on the rear looks bad, check the front too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.