Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys just want to know if any one is from there or has been over there on bikes or fast cars and could tell me if it worth me going over. Me and my mates have herd its is awsome and there laws do not line up with our's not many cops and not many speed camrea's over there to plus good road surface.

if any one could help me out and tell me if im right or wrong i would love to hear dont wanna let them down

·
Registered
934 Posts
Roads are awesome some better than others surface wise but generally a lot better than NSW (not sure what state your in )

Laws are still there and enforced so that bit is a bit of BS but no different to riding your fav rd anywhere pick your moments etc and being all new to you won't be to crazy on the gas...

Enjoy...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
No point going unless you find a good 'Map of Tassie'.

Brett, can you help out here?

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
what you have heard is half crap..

They enforce the laws.. BOY do they... Any car on the side of the road COULD be a camera.. these days they don't even need to be in cars.. Public servants are used to man these cars or watch the cameras, not coppers..

The roads are terrific.. Make sure you go in Summer.. I think that will be the second tuesday in January for 2012.

If you go in the cars, search the net for maps of the Targa Tasmania routes.

if you go on bikes... remember that even though you are riding along on beautiful wide DRY roads, around the next corner it could either immediately halve it's width but more likely it will be tree shaded and wet. Watch out for the lovely roads that are green from the left paddock al the way to the right paddock..

DO make a day of passes over Elephant Pass.. better yet make a loop of is and pickj your favourite direction.. Do stop for pancakes.

Remember that although you COULD circumnavigate the island in a day.... it WILL be a LONG day and by the time you are getting close to around... you'll need ALL the concrentration you can muster for those roads.

They have Wombats.. FARKEN lots of them... they can turn a truck on it's side.

enjoy .. bring back photos

·
Registered
258 Posts
Like Shrek said there are heaps of cars parked on the roads and most likely they will be a speed camera. The other thing whilst riding in the hills be careful of log trucks as they take up 3/4 of the road/corners.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what you have heard is half crap..

They enforce the laws.. BOY do they... Any car on the side of the road COULD be a camera.. these days they don't even need to be in cars.. Public servants are used to man these cars or watch the cameras, not coppers..

The roads are terrific.. Make sure you go in Summer.. I think that will be the second tuesday in January for 2012.

If you go in the cars, search the net for maps of the Targa Tasmania routes.

if you go on bikes... remember that even though you are riding along on beautiful wide DRY roads, around the next corner it could either immediately halve it's width but more likely it will be tree shaded and wet. Watch out for the lovely roads that are green from the left paddock al the way to the right paddock..

DO make a day of passes over Elephant Pass.. better yet make a loop of is and pickj your favourite direction.. Do stop for pancakes.

Remember that although you COULD circumnavigate the island in a day.... it WILL be a LONG day and by the time you are getting close to around... you'll need ALL the concrentration you can muster for those roads.

They have Wombats.. FARKEN lots of them... they can turn a truck on it's side.

enjoy .. bring back photos
Like Shrek said there are heaps of cars parked on the roads and most likely they will be a speed camera. The other thing whilst riding in the hills be careful of log trucks as they take up 3/4 of the road/corners.

thank you heaps for the info ...its good to hear about the loggen trucks and the cars on the side its pretty much like here melbourne i guess ...so sounds like you guys been there and loved it ¿¿..could you give me some road names or hot spots where to go ...i willl for sure have photos up 2 months till we go ..ill post the photos in.the thred

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ha, I've had this ride plan on file since 2002 thinking that I might be able to make use of it some day - as yet have not. Suppose it is still relevant now?. Further, there was talk a while back that the speed limit was to be \is? reduced to 90kph.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tassie a biker paradise

Tasmania is everything and more what has been said already, One thing though i would suggest that you watch the odd corner as there can be a a build up of little loose stones on the apex( bloody road monkeys have no respect for bikers!!!) . We circumnavigated Tassie West to east took 2 about weeks and tried as many different road alternatives as possible. What did we did find was that some were so good we did them twice. The west coast,great roads, is less developed and as such I reckon more scenic though the east coast had its attractions and great roads as well. I would reccommend buying the bikers Road bible of Australia ($30 approx) as many of the great roads in Tassie are clearly marked and plenty of others are left for you to discover. Highlights for me was around Queenstown, roads from cambletown to the coast towards Bicheno and St Mary's I could just keep going there were so many great day rides. I reckon you could go back each year and never get board. I would agree withhe comment about timber trucks dont get too close I had one loose a plank that I was very lucky to duck! hav fun

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am from Tassie originally and learnt to ride on those sweet roads.. Some key things to know
. There are plenty of cops and unlike the mainland the speed camera are not sign posted, and may just be in the back of the white van on the side of the road. There are a lot of trucks that drag out the gravel and drop diesel in the corners so always leave some in reserve. You cannot ride around Tassie in a day.. However you can do a loop in two. A great ride is to go west from devonport (where the boat comes in) and head to cradle mountain and then to queens town for lunch.. Then out of queens town you will do the 99 bends part or the targa track heading to Hobart.. Then head up the east coast on day two doing the elephant pass, st marys pass and the sideling near scotsdale.

Overall brilliant just grab a map and ride.. Be careful of wide life if riding at dawn and dusk, that time is best spent in the pub..

Cheers

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
the pubs are open at dawn??? COOL..

For a Taswegian and to use a space in Queenstown?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hi,

Some good info in this thread.

I'm looking at a Feb2012 trip and would appreciate any extra tips on sights to see.
I'm not looking to just ride the island, but to also see it.

Also any tips on bike shipment from Sydney? Do ppl ship to Melb then get on the ferry, or ship to Tassie? I've done the ride to Melb many times and would prefer an extra day or 2 in Tassie hence shipping.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts