Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys my bike has the plastic gas tank since 2008 and till now I don’t have any deformation issues so far (knock on wood) well anyway I just noticed inside the tank that instead of the white plastic that it used to be is starting to get yellow and also the low fuel sensor sometimes it works and sometimes it don’t (this weekend I run out of gas).
I bet is because is full of gunk of the ethanol in the gasoline and gets stuck or the gunk works as an isolator that is not letting it conduct.
Is there a chemical that I can use that I can mix it with gas to clean it and remove that gunk and hopefully remove it from the sensor?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
No deformation? How close is your tank to the damper mount? You should be able to get a couple fingers between the mount and the tank. My tank was actually touching the damper mount! As far as cleaning goes I am sure there are some ethanol treatments at a local auto parts store. Otherwise pull the fuel sensor, try cleaning it, and if all else fails install a new one.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
ImageUploadedByDucati.org Forum1410216390.542035.jpg ImageUploadedByDucati.org Forum1410216412.395922.jpg

First picture is brand new tank. Second picture is expanded tank.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh hell!
I have a bigger problem than I thought
After the pictures from 7 summits I have a deformed tank.
F#%K!
Is Ducati still changing them as warranty claim?

·
Registered
218 Posts
You may be out of luck. I believe the end date for fuel tank replacement claims in North America was about mid-August last year. I had my tank inspected by a dealer just a few days prior to the settlement from DNA running out, and was first told that it would not be replaced. I contacted the law firm that initiated the class action to confirm dates, they contacted DNA's law firm and the tank was replaced after all, since it was inspected prior to claims end date. Was the third replacement tank for my bike. (I'm original owner of '06 S2R.)

http://www.girardgibbs.com/ducati/

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
RIGS I assume you have a 1098 going off of your avatar. 1098's were prior to the updated smaller tank fix which came in 2012. Your tank will appear to be closer to your steering dampener mount due to the fact that your tank is larger then the new "fixed" tanks. Also, I think that Ducati is required to supply those fuel cells up to 5 years from the date of original purchase. That being said the 848evo was last produced in 2013 which means they would be required to extend coverage out to 2018. Dont quote me on this, but I am fairly confident that I am speaking fact. LOL

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think Danny Ducati has it right. The settlement agreement says –
. . . the two year limited Ducati warranty period for the appropriate repairs or replacements shall be extended for each Class Vehicle to the longer of (a) 6 years after the date of original new motorcycle purchase or (b) 18 months after the Effective Date of this settlement.
You may still be within the claim period, depending on original date of purchase.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys I will need to contact the dealer on this and see how to proceed.
The bike was bought on August 2008 and I'm the original owner ever since, all maintenance been done @ a dealer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Damn that picture finally makes realize how much my tank has swelled!! Damn it.. Time to sell it and get a Panigale!! I would love to have an aluminum tank for my bike but the price tag is nuts! If someone would make an aluminum tank for under $1000 they'd make a ton of cash! Screw putting 3,4 even 5 plastic tanks on the bike. Ugh, kinda unacceptable Ducati never addressed the issue correctly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts