Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday I went to test ride the 1098s. This was kindly offered to me by my dealer AFTER I had placed a deposit for the 1198R. I arrived 1115hrs. Weather was dry, temp 13c. After the the hellos and paperwork, out we went to start up Italy's finest. After the intial wurr from the fuel injection, one press of the starter button and I thought i'd died and gone to heaven! With the termi race system on this beauty sounded like my old 996RS corse bike but with more terror! She warmed up for a few minutes and we talked about the controls and the bike in general. Then the time came for me to go for my ride - I felt like I did when I did my first race - nervous, excited, pulse racing, all eyes on me.... "don't stall her - FOCUS". "Take your time - don't rush back" said the dealer. I let the clutch out til I felt her bite and gently opened the throttle and glided off onto my chosen route. I had not ridden since stopping racing in 2003, so was relieved not to make a prat of my self! Just up the road, traffic queued - and so did I patiently. The duke was fairly civilised and I was enjoying blipping the throttle. Finally I got out of the t junction and I was off. I went from Winchester to Alton via the back roads and whilst I took it steady and sensible - I was amazed at how the 1098s performed. The acceleration was stunning and the brakes a revelation! I found she steered slower than I would like and later found out the bike was on its lowest ride height - so no worries there for me. Changing down gear quickly was impressive also considering no slipper clutch - I remember my 996 locking up very often before the slipper clutch - so well done Ducati. On my return journey I became a bit more naughty and coming out of a roundabout in 3rd she power wheelied nice and gracefully. Round the twists and turns she was steady as a rock. On the straights - simply ballistic. The smell, feel, look and performance make this one heck of a bike and a marvel to how Ducati have developed the fantastic V twin!

On my return to the dealer I simply stated the bike was incredible, power amazing and brakes awesome. He replied - I shouldn't tell you this but we spoke to the 1198r test rider for Ducati and he has lapped round the Ducati test track on the 1198r quicker than the motogp bike..... Is this possible I thought... on reflection I would not be surprised! Long live the V TWIN! :naughty:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Carlos said:
. On my return journey I became a bit more naughty and coming out of a roundabout in 3rd she power wheelied nice and gracefully. TWIN! :naughty:
3rd?? ummm I don't think so. Good story though..or was it a test submission for a Editorial position at Motorcylist mag??

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sorry Carlos, but it sounds like you've been sniffing your own exhaust for too long. Funny that a UK dealer knows more about the 1198r than anyone else, and I'll take a lot of convincing that an 1198r is going to lap faster than Ducati's MotoGP bike.....good story though, you should apply to work for one of the bike comics :blah: :blah: :blah:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ummmmmmmmm, Deposit on a 1198r, well The WSBK and AMA have got to make a small decision before deciding that fate. Do not try to cheapen everyones decision with the 1098 by telling a fictional story. The 1198 may happen but give the WSBK a few years to digest the 1098.
God forbid they where to make a titanium driven 1098 bluming 200 hp and at 7/8 the weight of a big liter. If history repeats itself, waite a little while before replacing the greatest twin ever made.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
on no account was I trying to cheapen those who have purchased 1098/s/tricolore - any Ducati is work or art and engineering masterpiece and none of the story is fictional, nor the comments regarding lap times.

If you think about it the future 1198r could well lap quicker than the gp bike - look at the 800cc gp bikes this year - less power than previous but lapping 1 second quicker than last years more powerful bikes. Power is not everything. This coupled with the character of a twin could easily explain this, but hey this is my opinion. Time will tell

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
what future 1198r? as far as i can tell the bike only exists on ducati blogs!

·
Registered
257 Posts
No it is impossible for it to lap quicker than the MGP bike unless Rossi was on the 1198R and I was on the MGP bike. The MGP bike has better suspension, more power, VERY sophisticated traction control, less weight, and a million other things that I can't think of right now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dibs said:
3rd?? ummm I don't think so. Good story though..or was it a test submission for a Editorial position at Motorcylist mag??
A few of the mags i have read (performance bikes,two, superbkes and some crap american one) have mentioned it lifting the front in 3rd off the throttle.
The 999r did and with 10bhp more i cant see why the 1098 cant. Even the standard 999 with 130 could do it in 2nd.

I reckon your just jealous cos you havent got the nuts to pin it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
ducatijon said:
A few of the mags i have read (performance bikes,two, superbkes and some crap american one) have mentioned it lifting the front in 3rd off the throttle.
Just for information : my "old" 998 S easily lifts the front, in 3rd gear. Engine is about 150 hp and I have a 14 teeth sprocket.

·
Registered
134 Posts
ducatijon said:
The 999r did and with 10bhp more i cant see why the 1098 cant. Even the standard 999 with 130 could do it in 2nd.

I reckon your just jealous cos you havent got the nuts to pin it.
Now this board is finally getting fun! And I'll bite on that one...I'm calling bullshit on the 999..."R" or other wise. As far as pinning it, it's been pinned.
Btw, do you even have yours yet? I might believe that this bike will come up in third with a solid "bounce" going into a stand up but that's about it. Listen, I'm not trying be an a$$ hole here, you've already taken that role on with your comment above. I LOVE my 1098 and think it's a phenominal bike, but i'm realistic too and this bike with it's stock gear or any other liter bike is not going to "power wheelie" in 3rd. And just to be politically correct I'll add "IMO" Oh, and was that comment about the "crap american one" just directed to the publication or the whole country? Just curious..cheers

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't know about finally getting fun, but it's starting to resemble Disney Land, we've got 998S's with 150hp and people seemingly believing what's printed in bike comics........bring on Micky Mouse and Donald Duck :rolleyes:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think it is again one of the I have a bigger one games...
So here my add on... I ride with a guy who power wheelies a stock Honda 1000RR in 4th Gear. What I need to add... He he weights 120Lbs... I'm 230Lbs and I don't think I'm able to power wheelie with that weight in that gear...

By the way I just saw the 2009 Parts book under Item No. 11815 you can order wings for better turning ;-)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm in agreement that this is probably an urban myth, BUT...I do know that Honda has the ability to push its 1000 cc machine to MotoGP HP levels. I forget what magazine that was reported in. I think it was a peice on the projected evolution of Honda's bikes and WSB campaign. I'm pretty sure it was a UK zine. Now it would not surprise me if Ducati's future "R" is designed to match the current HP of the 1000cc fours. Being capable of HP in the MotoGP range is not unbelievable assuming you are willing to rebuild the engine after every track day. I don't think potential HP figures necessarily translates to MotoGp lap times though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts