Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, last track day my shifter locked up hard. Did all the research and ordered up the replacement arm spring kit from Ducati, and a Ceramic Bearing detent arm from Factory pro.

When I opened the bike up, I found my original spring had shattered completely, and the larger lower bolt had backed out completely. I got that side all back together and adjusted the mechanism according to how Track848 described it in his YouTube video on this process. The bike seemed to shift fine, so I moved to replacing the detent arm.

Got the detent arm in place, and started testing going between all the gears. The shift drum was getting stuck in false neutrals very often so I Was perplexed. (Keep in mind, at this point both engine side covers are off so I Can see how everything is moving.

I tried re-adjusting the shift mechanism again, and using more force on the shift linkage, as well as supporting the shaft with my hand in place of the engine case, I could get through maybe 4 gears without issues, but 5 and 6 would never go into gear without some fiddling.

I called up Factory Pro, and they said that I needed to ensure that the output shaft did not move between shifts, something about the dogs not lining up in the gearbox correctly (our phone connection was a bit spotty so I'm not 100% sure this is what he said)

So I went back to the bike, and instead of rotating the rear wheel slightly between shifts, I would move the input shaft (where the clutch rides) back and forth between each gear change. Now the transmission will go through 1-5 pretty well, but still will not get into 6th gear.

Am I just really overthinking this? or is there something else I Should be looking at before re-assembling the engine? I know without warm oil circulating everywhere the transmission might be harder to shift, but I should still be able to get through all the gears before I put it all back together yes?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I recall a similar post...but I think it was... it won't shift right without the engine running...I know I can't just buzz through my gears without having to rock the bike back and forth...if you've given everything a second and third look...I'm sure your covered...button it up

·
Court Jester
12,066 Posts
Have you adjusted your clutch pull, I know mine is very sentative to find the right spot.

·
Registered
'01 750SS ie
21 Posts
Sometimes you need to shorten up the shift shaft travel. Instead of having the shift shaft arm at 90* to the rod, lengthen the rod some (be mindful you want the pedal position to stay the same) and move the arm clockwise one spline on the shaft. That will make the travel shorter on the shift shaft but, it will also add some shift effort to the pedal. Make sure you have at least 4 turns of engagement on the shift shaft rod on both ends. This will also give you a slightly shorter throw on the pedal.

This all depends on the original setup of the shifter linkage. Drop a photo of your linkage setup and I can advise you further if needed. One other thing, having a too tight chain adjustment can cause shift problems as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes you need to shorten up the shift shaft travel. Instead of having the shift shaft arm at 90* to the rod, lengthen the rod some (be mindful you want the pedal position to stay the same) and move the arm clockwise one spline on the shaft. That will make the travel shorter on the shift shaft but, it will also add some shift effort to the pedal. Make sure you have at least 4 turns of engagement on the shift shaft rod on both ends. This will also give you a slightly shorter throw on the pedal.

This all depends on the original setup of the shifter linkage. Drop a photo of your linkage setup and I can advise you further if needed. One other thing, having a too tight chain adjustment can cause shift problems as well.

I like this idea, moving the arm clockwise will mean pressure is increasing throughout the shift range which should improve the shifting feedback, I'll give this a shot today if I can escape work long enough to work on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts