Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I read about the 1098, the more I get the feeling this bike is not the beast I thought it be. It maybe because I never rode a twin motor bike or a Duc for the matter of fact. I look at the Dyno chart's and see low numbers. Before this I rode a zx10r a 2004 with a few mods such as powecomander,full akropovic and a 520 conversion, in a straight away it just riped and in the twists in glided like a ice skater. I'am awayting a 1098s TC and just I dunno think I might be let down. I pay good money, and I hear things such as the paint work is not as strong as it should be, the breaks are too much and it can't keep up with a R1. Did I get the wrong inpression of this bike and bought a could be bike or what. For the fellas I guess that have one what is your point of view on the situation Iam in. Thanks for reading I know its a run on but hey.

~Edvin.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Don't buy it, the brakes are too powerful, the torque will be more than you can handle. Stick with a a jap bike, it seems its more along the lines of what you are looking for.. /sarcasm off

if you are looking for big dyno HP numbers a ducati is not for you.. It ducati will not out dyno the jap bikes.. On paper they will have more HP but thats mostly because of the high redline. Who cares if you make 10-15 more horse at 16 redline. On the street you will never ride it to take advantage of those extra HP at that redline. I'd venture to say even on the track you wouldnt have the skill to do so either, as do 90% of us out there riding these machines. They are more machine than most of us can use and if we could we'd be a factory rider.

Bottom line is, if you want a bike that will have big top end HP and flat out straightline speed, get a busa. The Ducati is not about that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you miss understood me my friend. I wasnt looking into a high HP bike. But from the looks of things now and what some people have been saying its as if this bike is not comparable with my previous bike. I know its not gona be night and day diff but I was under the impression it was faster. Now I hear things like it all most keeps up with a R1. As for the bussa coment, i think I hit a nerve with you there sorry. Like I said I never ridden a twin motor bike nore a duc so I don't know much about them. I wanted some insight of what Iam in store for. I blew lots of money on this bike I was just hoping I dont get let down, I doubt I will, but 140hp to the wheel seems kind of low especialy to tq is like low 80 and a gsxr1k makes nearly that much. I dunno what Iam talking about that is my problem, this is a big jump for me thats all. Preperation I guess.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Edvin,

Excuse my French but....What the hell are you talking about?!!!!
If you look at the 1098-vs-zx-10 dyno chart you will notice that the 1098 makes
more HP AND Torque right off the bat and maintains that all the way untill red line.

The 1098 even has nearly a 20hp advantage at 8000 rpm! And that is a stock bike, you add a full exhaust,
free breathing air filter and a new ECU map and we're most likely looking at somewhere in the 150's at the rear wheel,
use some VP oxygenated racing fuel like on the first chart and we're looking at another 5-6 hp.
And if you realize all of this, like i think you do ;) , you just posted that to spice up the board.....good job!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've ridden Jap bikes most of my life but the last or current bike is a Ducati 998 and tell u what I'll never go back to a Jap bike.

For me its not about the HP. Its about enjoyment :). That rumbling sound, The looks you get :), That low down touque, The quality. Its what's made me a ducati enthusiast :).

Also I'm not sure about this pls some correct me if I'm wrong but wont the 1098 beat most bikes in a straight line to say 100km/150km???? Most times I've raced a bike is on the street. But once I reach 150/200kms I back off, Just dont like to encourage street racing at crazy speeds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Edvin,

Put your mind at ease my friend, owning a ducati is a different experience - its the one you pick to ride when you have a shed full of bikes, its the bike people stop to stare at, its got steller looks, sounds fukn horny , handling, torque etc! total package. Fit & finish is spot on on the 1098's i have seen, little things like the rear air ducts seem to get loose & rattle, so sure little things may go wrong -thats all part of duc ownership, I had been looking to buy another bike for the last 3-4 years, nothing got me excited until the 1098 was born. Jap bikes, although fast & powerful do absolutely nothing for me and find them boring as hell (have had alot of jap 1000's over past 3 decades)
I for one think the 1098 is a real bargain, i'm excited as buggery about getting my tc!
Once you see your tc in person i know you will realize what a great choice you're made, experience it you WILL be hooked!

Deano

·
Registered
438 Posts
Edvin, Have you never tried any Ducati at all ?

I only ask because they are COMPLETELY different to any japanese machine.

I had only had in line 4,s until I bought my first 748 years ago, I pulled away from the dealer stalling it twice before riding off like a learner and after about a mile in traffic I though to myself 'what the hell have I done' it felt like a tractor, was juddering and braking by itself as soon as I closed the throttle, I was regretting buying it within 5 minutes !!!!

Once on the open road and after an hour getting used to the massive difference from what I had been used to everything came together and I realised what everyone who had recommended a Ducati to me had meant. The bike glided arount corners, went where it was pointed, the power could be applied way before you could even think of it on an in line 4 bike coming out of corners and the braking could be left much later once I got used to the engine braking which was non existent on all my previous bikes.

Ever since that day I have had a Ducati, 748, 916, 996,998,999, and now the 749R which is the best bike that I have ever owned or ridden and I just hope that the new 1098 is as good as this bike.

My brother has a Repsol fireblade and it a very quick bike but on the twisties I can come into the corners later and go underneath him and I am away before he dares to open his throttle. Once on a straight he can breeze past me but not by that much and when back to the corners he is way behind again and I am no fantastic rider.

This is on a 749 so I can only imagine just how quick this new 1098 is going to be, my 749R is still way to fast for road use so for whatever slight difference there is between all the 1000cc bikes and the 1098 can anyone really honestly say that they can use all the power any of them produce. The plain answer is no !

I cannot see anything keeping up with the 1098 on a twist road plus every rider has his own limits and abilities.

For looks and prestige alone go for the 1098 but I would really advise you to have a go on a ny Ducati first because you either love them or hate them, some friends of mine just cannot get on with them while others love them, TRY ONE FIRST.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Edvin1098s said:
I think you miss understood me my friend. I wasnt looking into a high HP bike.
Edvin1098s said:
but 140hp to the wheel seems kind of low
These two statements seem to contradict each other.. 140 to the wheel is right there with the liter jap bikes. Like Ten-6 said, look at the dynos again, the 1098 has a better curve all the way to its redline, the inline 4 then continues to pull simply because it has a much higher redline (the nature of inlines). Again the power at that RPM for us mortals aka non factory racers wont help us much on the street. However the amazing torque will becuase you can pull at just about any RPM and not just up top.

Edvin1098s said:
Now I hear things like it all most keeps up with a R1.
I guess it depends on who you ask..

Your getting a great bike, there is nothing else like it out there yet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think it was the issue of BIKE i just received that did a 1098s vs. GSX1000 comparison. They used the existing GSX (US edition) and not the yet to be released version.

First thing to keep in mind is the article in the same mag several pages earlier. Emissions requirements are eating into HP and adding weight to al lnew models. So be careful before you compare the 1098s to a mythical 07 GSX.

In a blast to top speed, the 1098s gives up a little time in the 40-60 mph (?) area (someone with the mag in front of them will have to correct me) and then matches the GSX to the 1098S top speed with is 6 mph (?) less than the GSX. This was a pure strainght line power comparison. (In the rain as well) Game over? No. 1098s was still preffered.

In terms of paper comparisons, the GSX was the winner. It was also described as a tourer compared to the 1098s.

One of the reasons for the 1098s preference was the V-twin power which gets the actual power to the ground much better than a 4. Now you need to dig thorugh your US mags (I think motorcyclist) for an article last year that explains why V-twins put power to the pavement much better than a 4 (and/or why firing order is so crucial on a 4). Basically the tire will break traction during a power pulse and then regain it (playing with coefficients of friction - static an ddynamic.) A V-twin gives you a larger power pulse and then longer for the tire to do its stuff. There is a science built around the concept which is far beyond me - MotoGP land. Anyway, the power that goes from the tire to the pavement is what is actually important. The dyno graphs are nice and all, but worthless on some level. How soon you can get on the power? V-twin has a huge adavantage which gives them a real world advantage. Traction control takes some of this advantage away for those who live on the limit, but a twin still has one. WSB should be proof. How can a 999r compete against a GSX1000, which clearly bests it in paper power? And yet the 999r is still a player. A 1098S or 1198R are going to be a players as well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Power delivery is the difference. If you've never ridden a twin, let alone a Duc, you'll be very pleased with the much more usable power delivery. You won't have to be banging it off the rev limiter to feel the power or get it to the ground. For the average, or even above average rider they are easier to ride fast. :)
Then again, if you really enjoy being atop the screaming rpm of the I-4s, you may not be able to appreciate the Ducati :confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
You ever gotten married Edvin? If you ever did, did you get the hebejebes
right before the big event? This is the inner you saying "don't do it". If you have never owned a Ducati or riden a Ducati you would have to be out of your mind to cough up 26+ thousand dollars for one. No, they are not $24,999.00 out the door. There are dealer prep fees, taxes, insurance, :blah: .
By the time you get done with what ever you think you need to make it yours you are getting very close to the 30K mark. For you this is a pig in a poke (for the younger generation this means to buy something you have never seen) like buying a pig in a sack.
You could almost buy three Japanese bikes for what you will be paying for your Tri- Color. I would bet you that if you were to lay out the cash what you will be paying for the Tri-Color at the local Yamaha shop you could walk out with three new R1s.
Don't allow your self to get caught up in all the hype about the "New And Improved Master of the Universe and everyone will now love you and women will beg you to give them a baby" routine. It was the same exactly when the 999 series came out, I know I was there!!
Get yourself a used 999S and see how you like the way the bike feels to you or if you have a friend that has one steal it when he is asleep and go for a ride. Make sure it is not a really good friend because if he finds out it is all over between you.
I personally love my Ducatis, I have two now with a Yellow base on the way.
I have a 1995 916 and a 2004 999R in my shop at this moment waiting for summer. I have heaped cash on these bike upon heaps and love every minute I have with them both, well sometimes not the bitch 916 because she aways wants something more. I love the way they feel and the way I feel when I ride them. I stay out of town because I think it is dangerous so no one sees my bikes or me for that matter which is the way I prefer it. I buy motorcycles for my pleasure not for other peoples.
I also have a 2002 R1 immaculate track bike with Ohlins front and rear setup to the nines with professionally painted Sharkskinz OZ wheels on and on. There is only one little detail though and that is after owning and riding my first 2003 999 I can't stand to ride the R1 anymore. The R1 is faster but I have to make it faster, I have to beat the thing to go fast. It will but not by that much. My 999R just goes effortlessly fast. My 999R is deseptively fast only reveling what it has done when you look down at the speedo. I put a light weight fly wheel in it from Nichols and I was putting along and doing pretty good I thought and figured I would just snick it into sixth. Damn I can't get sixth??? I looked down and I am doing better than a buck twenty and I was in sixth gear. After the fly wheel change out sixth felt like fifth used to. So much for my perception of speed.
Bottom line is I have found the motorcycles that fit the way I ride and enjoy riding. For you a Tri-Color Ducati might be that big fat ass nagging harpy bitch you wish you had the guts to kill.
I'll sell you my R1!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Edvin, typical young Yank, no offense intended.
Why do you want a bike that will 'only' do 6 mph less than an R1 in a straight line and pay 30 grand for it is my question. The enjoyment of riding a sportsbike is the corners and with a Ducati you can cut through the corners better than any 2 wheeled machine made for the road as your boy explains above.
How many World Superbike Championships has the jap bikes combined won in the last 20 years..... not even a yamaha in their buddy.
Ducatis arwe ground breaking and nothing can compare to them. Its hard to explain or for you to understand until you get your leg over... you will be a ducatisti within a 100 miles guaranteed...
Go for it and you wont regret it...

G

·
I think the main impression I can give when it comes to moving up to a Ducati is respect. I just purchased my first Ducati after being on jap bikes for 8 years, and I'm very gld I did. I loved every jap bike I owned, but moving to the Ducati is an entirely different experience. Buyng a Ducati is exactly like buying a Ferrari. They're a little more expensive, sound different, look different, move different. You're buying something that gains respect everywhere you go. It won't be the fastest everywhere, but it will be when it matters...which is on the track. At the end of the day, isn't that what all these bikes are made for? Drag racing? Get a Busa, stretch it out, throw some NOS on it. Wanna carve corners? Buy a Ducati. Nothing will touch you. Yamaha's, Suzuki's, Honda's, they get lost in the crowd...wanna impress the hot chick? Show her a bright red Ducati and ask her to slide on the bike for a ride...trust me, she'll like the vibrations. Heritage & Respect...that's what you're getting when you buy a Ducati.

That's it...I'm going riding...talk to you guys later!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi guys.

Thanks for taking the time to write stuff up for me to think and see. I called one of my friends that owns a 999s and he is giving it to me for the weekend. Its gona be my first time riding a twin and a duc.

Money is not the issue here for the bike, I am always concerned with the value in what I get. I used own many 36M3 and two 46M3. My brother on the other hand loves his vets. I could care less that it is faster than my car, but when we go one the track I have a total blast with my M I mean i took my M more times Auto X than my ex to dinner. And when I am done its a great daily driver.

I ended up paying a little over 27k for my bike, I paid cash as in back home germany that is how we pay for stuff. The dealer guy was like WTF how come some one your age throws that much cash on a bike and never even ridden one. I heard great things about it thats what I told him.

And than recently I just sort of started to hear alot of negative press on the ten98. I think thats the case with all the greats. I am just excited I guess and needed some to comfort me I guess lol. Either way I got a 999s for fri/sat/sun and monday so I will see what it is to ride a Ducati.

I personally never really cared about which one is faster of the bikes, but I thought it was crazy that my zx10r was faster and I pay three times more, whos chump am I the dealers. But I guess its one of those things in life you cant explain, like telling a virgin that getting laid is like nothing else in life.

Either way thanks alot fellas for your kind and guiding words. I will make sure I take many pics and post when my TC comes home. Again, I doubt I will regret buying this bike.

~Edvin.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Edvin, When I was 22 I spent most of my time looking at numbers also.

This bike (even a much less powerfull 748, or even air cooled 2 valve) will blow you mind.

You may not ride around looking at the tack on your jap bike, but trust me, MOST of the time when you roll on the throttle you are no where near the peak HP that you are reading about. The duck will be there EVERY time you roll on the throttle.

HUGE difference.

Anyway, if you don't want one of the limited 1098's coming to the US, I am sure there are plenty of people who will! It shouldn't be to hard to find another 10R or R1 or RR or GSXR in every dealer in every town everywhere you go!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Edvin1098s said:
Hi guys.

Thanks for taking the time to write stuff up for me to think and see. I called one of my friends that owns a 999s and he is giving it to me for the weekend. Its gona be my first time riding a twin and a duc.

Money is not the issue here for the bike, I am always concerned with the value in what I get. I used own many 36M3 and two 46M3. My brother on the other hand loves his vets. I could care less that it is faster than my car, but when we go one the track I have a total blast with my M I mean i took my M more times Auto X than my ex to dinner. And when I am done its a great daily driver.

I ended up paying a little over 27k for my bike, I paid cash as in back home germany that is how we pay for stuff. The dealer guy was like WTF how come some one your age throws that much cash on a bike and never even ridden one. I heard great things about it thats what I told him.

And than recently I just sort of started to hear alot of negative press on the ten98. I think thats the case with all the greats. I am just excited I guess and needed some to comfort me I guess lol. Either way I got a 999s for fri/sat/sun and monday so I will see what it is to ride a Ducati.

I personally never really cared about which one is faster of the bikes, but I thought it was crazy that my zx10r was faster and I pay three times more, whos chump am I the dealers. But I guess its one of those things in life you cant explain, like telling a virgin that getting laid is like nothing else in life.

Either way thanks alot fellas for your kind and guiding words. I will make sure I take many pics and post when my TC comes home. Again, I doubt I will regret buying this bike.

~Edvin.
Forgive me for being rude, but I don't think you bought the bike for its performance. You bought the TC instead of the s or base for its exclusivity and the wow factor It aint a whole lot faster than the base for $10000 more. the tenor of your posts suggests that you are concerned with being first and having the best. That's fine, I'm not critizing you. Just recognize that. If you bought it for the track, you bought it for the wrong reasons. If you bought it to be king of the street you bought it for the wrong reason. (I've seen very talented riders on 600s beating the snot out of lesser riders on fancy 1000s). But if you bought it for the attention it is going to get you at your local starbucks or what ever bike hangout, you damn sure bought the right bike. And if you bought it for the pride of owner ship that comes with buying hand crafted anything, you bought it for the right reason.

CAG

·
Registered
547 Posts
CAG said:
If you bought it for the track, you bought it for the wrong reasons.
CAG
I agree with everything you said except for the statement for the track. I think its gonna do really well on the track with an experienced rider. Its already beat record lap times of the 999

Edvin if you want a bike thats king of everything then you need a Desmosedici!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok guys, first of I think I have made some people angry here or something for posting this. No sure why you be but whatever. Either way like some one said the TC is not a hella lot faster or better than the base, I bought it also to be unique and diff from the rest of the crowd. But Iam a beliver you get what you pay for. And like I said in my previous posts I was gettting the feeling that I won't get what I was paying for. I could care less that there is a faster or better bike, its the one I paid for aint all that it was meant to be. But Iam wrong and it is, I was just to excited of getting it and I put 10k down on a E92M3. Iam spening big bucks this year over 100k on a car and bike, its a bit too much you know. I aint a millonare or anything I work for my money but that is why I think about things twice and just started a topic.

IF THIS THREAD IS UPSETING YOU DONT READ IT AND GO AWAY!!!!!

PS: Any body fromt he tampa/clearwater area want to ride this weekend.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts