Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to re-build my clutch on my 2001 ST4, it works fine but is starting to slip and getting louder. I am thinking of changing the plates and basket, do I need to change the springs also? OEM parts are very expensive so I am looking at Barnett, they make a plate set for the 916 engine and one for the 6 speed specific, also they make a nice looking basket, any thoughts on parts and advice would be appreciated, thanks Sam.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Sounds like you already know what to do. Barnett is fine for non-slipper clutches, they have good plates. Don't have to change the springs, just the plates and the basket for good measure.

It's an easy job, just don't get your nose up in there when you first pull the cover off, it will be very dusty. Also you will need a clutch holding tool for re-assembly, so make sure you grab one of those and a torque wrench as the torque setting is important.

Happy New year and have fun with the re-build! :)

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
The important thing to decide first up is whether you are going for the lighter but faster-wearing aluminium components, or the earlier steel parts like the 916.

You mainly need to replace the friction plates and the 'basket' or clutch housing. This is where the audible wear occurs of course. Springs need to simply be checked for length, against the specs.

The friction plates and basket need to be compatible - ie, either both in steel, or both in aluminium. Aluminium is lighter, and more efficient, but will need replacement at about 30,000 kms (18,000 mi).

Steel plates and basket are almost three times heavier, but will last more like 50,000 kms or 30,000 mi.

Also inspect closely the tiny pushrod support bearing in the end of the mainshaft, and the pushrod itself. These parts, and the bearing in the pressure plate, need close inspection also.

As a 2001 your bike should have had aluminium parts originally.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
As to which brand?

Check and price-compare the plates against Motorize (German, on Ebay). Nice prices on these, and reliable delivery. I am on my second set.

I find the MPL basket (also German) has a very neat fit at the critical engagement point between plate tags and basket slots. It is a dear item, but I am on my second one, and got my last one (new) off Ebay for about half new price.

I'm sure the Barnett stuff is fine, but worth checking around for prices.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Yep..Barnett aluminum clutch baskets are fine. I have been using one for years. It is the aluminum one with the stainless steel inserts on the engagement surfaces. Light weight and durable. But as it is a dry slipper clutch, it is the loudest I have ever heard!!!!

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I reckon someone's been giving that clutch a damn good thrashing..

:eek:

Actually Pat,.. I am very easy on my clutch, a hold over from when clutches were not as good as today's slippers...I do have an HM/ earlier addition quick shifter, and a DP slipper clutch, but I still use the clutch/blip method of timing up my down shifts, and pretty much always use the clutch for upshifts... not always, but.... also I don't overly slip the clutch on race launches.... especially when using the 1098R motor... the 848 is much easier to get off the line....
The Barnett uses stainless steel inserts on the engagement edges of the aluminum basket,... I think this is where the LOUD Noise originates, would be very cool if the inserts where made from some super hard rubber/plastic material which could stand the pressure and deaden the sound without increased wear and tear, and still be a light weight aluminum system!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts