Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup gang.

My S has been in-country for 3 weeks now, but I haven't ridden a mile. I'm doing a lot of cosmetic work right off the bat to make my Duc one-of.

As you can see, I took basically everything that was silver on the bike and had it powder coated 90% gloss black. Ducati's lead tech said that some people in Europe had been anodizing, but in researching it and asking the pro's in Denver (where I live) I found out that a lot of the parts are steal, or have steal components pressed or integrated in them. Anodizing process + steal = bad.

So I went with powder coating. It looks pretty damn good imo. I can't wait to see it put together -- which is happening as we speak.

The swing arm does have some very slight imperfections - slight droops in the coating - but I think I'll go insane seeing my bike in a billion pieces for one more day.

They blacked out:

Swingarm
Clutch Cover
Rear Sets
Pax pegs
Kickstand
Rear brake bracket
Gas cap
Heel guards
Rear sprocket keeper

I've added:

Dark Tint windscreen
Michelin Pilot Power 2 CTs
Full Termi 70mm
Pazzo black/black shorties
CF front sprocket cover, heat shield, rear tail inserts, rear hugger
Spidimoto (speedymoto) red Shinobe pressure plate, SS springs w black caps

Items I've purchased, but am waiting on:

Gilles VCR Rearsets
CF air runners, under-tank panels, chain guard
Spidimoto black 10 spoke open clutch cover

I traced out all my decals and have been working with Tapeworks to get the first test set of 1098S replacement decals. I'm going black 1098 with a CF "S". Rob should have them cut and available as soon as he sends me a few samples to see which ones fit/look the best.

Overall, the wait has sucked, but I think the blacked out version is going to look ssssiiiiick.

Your thoughts?

Word

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wow! You really changed the way this machine looks!

Two thumbs up from me! That is really different, and I hope you enjoy it!

So it has been in the shop for three weeks?

Powdercoating is the way to go! I bet the swingarm was the hardest to remove!

Seriously keep us posted! I want to see the end result!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Awesome! I love projects like this, Keep us posted. Thanks for the pics too, i wish more members would post pictures, My bike won't be here until may and I'm jones'n soooo bad.
BTW...The CF air runners you mentioned, Are they larger for better air flow or are they just an aesthetic/weight product? And where did you find them? In fact could you post where you found all of the extras? This bike is so new I'm having trouble finding parts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well done.

Very well done. Who did the powdercoating? It looks very even and they obviously know how to prep the parts.

Can't wait to see it assembled.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guido at shift-tech has been hooking me up with all the CF goodies. His stuff is ALL top notch, and he's a good dude to boot. I really don't think the runners will be larger. Talking to the Duc tech that is disassembling my hoopty, the runners now have very specific flow control (I can't talk tech with air/duc stuff) but it doesn't sound like after-market will be much more than aesthetic / weight like you mentioned.

I ordered all my parts on 4 Jan, and they all have arrived within the last week. So I've been at the top of waiting lists for---eee--ever. But, as I mentioned, I'm still waiting a bunch of goodies.

Some stuff I grabbed off ebay -- like the tinted windscreen came from Australia (ago_fan I think).

Basically wait... wait... wait.

I pick it up Wednesday complete, so I'll post pics soon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The powder coating was done by Premier Coatings in south Denver. (I think premiercoatingsco.com) Tony is the owner and a DAMN good guy. I think I rushed them a little to complete the project on a set timeline (for obvious reasons -- I'm going insane waiting).

Overall the stuff looks great. Some parts are cleaner than others, but it helped that everything has 0 miles, and zero road grime on it.

Although, they didn't prep the gas cap very well, so that's going to be a re-do. I'm actually going with the 999's cap with gold inner / key and blacking out the outside. That's how this one pictured is SUPPOSED to look. But, alas, it's blacked out completely and the stock special coating on the gas cap prevented some adhesion -- so it looks terrible up close. REDO!

I'm keeping the gold insert to set off the Ohlins goodies. Just little things, ya know, to make it as 'original' as I can.

Word

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hey world! bet the bike will look sick! im glad to hear Priemere does decent work, i live in aurora and am going to have my termi exhaust ceramic coated there. hope to run into you when out riding this season and see it in person.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
WOW!

I can't wait to see it all together!!!

Jason

·
Registered
116 Posts
Are going to have the suspension adjusted to compensate for the different tire profile? I've heard you need to do that. If so, tell us what adjustments were made.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have you had stuff powdercoated before? I know I had my rearsets and passenger pegs on my gixxer powdercoated black and after the first year you could see it fading. Was no problem, I just had them redone, but with the parts you got, I think that it would be harder.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Holy Frigg! We're all waiting to see what it looks like put together! Hurry up!

Did you do anything with the 70mm pipes? I've seen polished which looks great, but I wondering what coated in glossy black would look like. Did you include those?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ditto!!
Can't wait to see pics of the completed bike.
Could be a contender if you have her done in time for the Superbike Concorso!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im going the other way and going to chrome a lot of parts. Have had a mixed reaction. Some say do some say dont. Wait and see. Piccies to come soon

·
Registered
263 Posts
gixxerboy said:
Im going the other way and going to chrome a lot of parts. Have had a mixed reaction. Some say do some say dont. Wait and see. Piccies to come soon
Don't think I would like chrome on a Duc, but everyone has different tastes. I think I would like to paint the frame on mine. I really don't like the red frame and red plastic. I just don't know what color I would want, probably black.

·
Registered
131 Posts
im going with ceramic, looks good and serves a purpose.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Stevelkinevil said:
im going with ceramic, looks good and serves a purpose.
Anyone have any pic's of what ceramic looks like? How durable is it? Will it chip/crack if your bolting parts together?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts