Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo I bought my 848 off a guy who let it sit for awhile with out doing any maintenance for like 3 years. He left the gas in it the whole time so obviously it went bad. When i got the bike it wouldn't start. I got it running after changing the battery, plugs, and draining the gas and putting fresh gas in it with some seafoam. I have changed the oil, coolant, airfilter, brake fluid, clutch fluid, tires, and battery. Next up is the timing belt. I went to take it for a short ride the other day and it ran great for like 10-15 mins. It started to bog down and just died while i was riding. I coasted into the nearest parking lot and tried to restart it several times and it would quickly die as soon as i tried to give it gas. I decided to let it sit for couple mins and try it again. It worked and I rode it straight home with no problems. I just wrote it off as maybe having some bad gas in the system. I let the bike sit another week and decide to take it out again and see if i have any problems. Rode it for about 10-15 mins again and the same thing starts happening. This time it never started running good again to make it home. I was probably 5-10 miles away from home and had to trailer it back. Any ideas of what could be going on? I personally think it is the fuel filter but wanted y'alls advice.

Second issue, possibly related?
While i am riding i noticed that my dash backlight is flickering the whole time i am riding. My low beam headlights do not work at all, but the high beams do. The taillights do not come on when the low beams or high beams are on, but the brake lights still work. I think i read somewhere on the forum that the dash light flicker could be the voltage regulator. Anyone have any thoughts on this. As far as the low beam headlights go, they have been upgraded to HIDs. I bought new bulbs for them on amazon b/c i broke them trying to remove them. I tested both ballasts on the high beam side and they both worked. So we can rule out the ballast. The low beam ballast does not have that light hum like it is getting power so i don't think it is the bulb. Any ideas or thoughts? Could it possibly be related to why the tail light is not coming on?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I think only the 2011+ EVO bikes didn't have any issues with the VR. I have never seen or heard of any issues like this with the newer model.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you have HID's?
I do have HIDs, I have checked the ballast and they are fine. Brand new bulbs.

What year is the 848? The symptoms you are describing point to the VR as you said.
It is a 2010

whats your voltage when the bike is running and when it is not?
Hmm I'm not 100% on the numbers, but i know its in the 14s when running and 13s when not. I will have to check later, i store it at my buddies house.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Calling it now it's the VR. had the same exact problems and symptoms. Changed over to a MOSFET style VR and now she's a consistent 14.1 - 14.3 at idle or driving. Just did this last week. It's a plug and play switch. You need a new VR and the triumph wiring harness, pop ur old one out and pop this bad boy in and your good to go. I'm using dual 55w ballasts with mind and I think our stock VR couldn't Handel it or mine was on its way out. With my new VR it doesn't flicker dash stays lit and lights don't cut out. Here's the links to the kit.

http://www.roadstercycle.com/

Scroll 3/4 of the way down the website and you'll see the kit.

This is the kit you want in the screen shot below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
The new SH775 is an "upgrade" to the FH020AA. It says it's suppose to stay cooler during operation but my thought process was the FH line of VRs have been used in mainly Japanese bikes and other bikes for YEARS. A tried and tried unit of operation and I couldn't find enough info to make me get the newer style SH775 without proper background research. So I decided on the FH one. I was originally looking at the Rick's VR as well but then decided on this.

Here's a link to a video of the install.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
bdaroci2010,
Thanks for your help, i will get one ordered and see how it goes. Did you end up making your own bracket for it, or did you buy one somewhere?
Yeah I made my own bracket to make it fit tight in the factory location I forgot to take pictures of it

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok so I installed the new voltage regulator...Ricks. The dash light isn't flickering anymore as far as I can tell. The bike is still stalling out at idle when it gets up in the 200's. It will idle for like 5 or so mins and then it will stall. The battery is 12.5-12.6 with key on and not running. It's 14.2-14.5 when running. I don't really wanna take out for a test drive and have to trailer it back again, but that may be the only option. The low beam still is not working and I have narrowed it down to the wiring in the headlight housing, or the switch. Both ballasts work and so do both bulbs when hooked up to the high beam side. The taillight is still not coming on. Is that possibly running on the same wiring/switch as the low beam? It is not working with the high beams either.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took the tank off to change the fuel filter and the flange was covered in gunk. It was awful. I scraped most of it off and changed the filter. I can't test it until tomorrow because it's getting late. On the plus side, I got my fairings converted over to dzus clips and they are awesome! But on the down side I dropped my bike when trying to put it against the wall and broke the clutch lever.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
It will idle for like 5 or so mins and then it will stall.
Why are you idling a bike for 5 or so mins?? This causes excess carbon build up and excessive engine heat. Start bike up, put helmet on and take it out. Your valves, pistons and spark plugs will thank you.

Where are the ballasts for the HID's mounted??

I may have missed it but what's the mileage on the bike??

Sounds like you have a fuse out. Check them all and not just visually. Get a fuse tester. They are cheap. A hair line crack in a fuse won't show up to the eye but will to a tester.

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
Why are you idling a bike for 5 or so mins?? This causes excess carbon build up and excessive engine heat. Start bike up, put helmet on and take it out. Your valves, pistons and spark plugs will thank you.

Sounds like you have a fuse out. Check them all and not just visually. Get a fuse tester. They are cheap. A hair line crack in a fuse won't show up to the eye but will to a tester.

Ok I was told to wait until the "LO" temp message went away :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

The only reason I have been letting it idle so long is to see if it will stay running. I don't want it to break down on me again. It's kind of hard for me to get it back. I don't have a truck, so I have to get my buddy to bring his, and it's lifted to the sky lol...no trailer. The ballasts were mounted with some sticky stuff inside of the inner trim panels in the fairings. I have taken them out of there and I am going to move them somewhere else. Probably on top of the headlamp case. The mileage is 15000.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Riding the bike hard will burn off carbon but only so much. Engines have an optimal operating speed to fuel properly. At idle the fuel being sprayed is a bit much but as the designer is thinking the bike will be ridden and not idling for long, they don't worry too much about it. When you first fire a bike up, that fuel/air ratio is even richer until it gets up to temperature.

On an average day here in sunny Canada, the bike goes from fired up to 40C, which is where the "LO" goes out, in approx 1-2mins. Less if you put your helmet and gloves on after starting it and slowly take off on it. Less again if the temp is around 30C.

Sounds like the ballasts for the HID's are mounted in a good spot. I only asked as some people mount them under the dash and have encountered dash flicker due to interference from the HID ballasts.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.