Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JPDIAG was pretty awesome at first when I finally got it figured out and I have done a search to see if anyone else had had my issue but could not find a similar issue. Need your guys help

1. I did a TPS reset on the bike first then I went to go clear the error codes that were on my bikes. After checking all the error codes, I clicked on the "Clear CEL" button and assumed that they were gone but they returned 5 seconds later. Then clicked the button again but it kept on coming back. I have no idea why it did not clear when I have seen other problems have no problems with this.
It also did not clear off the bike when I started it

2. After doing a TPS reset and trying to clear the engine codes - I started the bike and now the bike has a couple new errors that are coming up. A TPS 1.1 error and a TWAT error. I had the EXVL before since I am not running a servo motor on my bike I am assuming. I do not know how all of a sudden these errors came up after running this program and doing a TPS reset

3. Clearly because the TPS error, now my bike throttle is pretty unresponsive and slow at picking up the inputs I put in it. The bike seems quite hard to start and always stalls out when I rev the motor and let it go back to idle.

4. Also now the fans run instantly even when the motor is cold. ????

I just need any suggestions here.....and am wondering WHY all of sudden all these other errors are happening after I ran this program.

Maybe I am not doing something right. Ideas? The bike is a 1098s and what are the steps to adjusting the idle to maybe speed it up from stalling using the trimmer?

·
Registered
218 Posts
...and a TWAT error....
classic.

unfortunately though, it sounds like you may have, at some stage, inverted your crocodile clips.

check the JPDiag FAQ here: JPDiag FAQ

specifically:

Q: Is it safe to plug it to my bike

A: if you invert red and black croco you may destroy your ecu. Symptom are , err in temp sensor , and fan still on. TPS isnot working good too

sorry bro...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
?? i am so puzzled because i got the cables from tchase that was tested by him and i am 100% certain that i never reversed the wires. red with red and black with black. I honestly never reversed them so I have no idea how it could have somehow been reversed????!

·
Court Jester
12,081 Posts
Chicken may be onto something, The "testing" of the cable is for the ODB plug and yes I know those checked out fine. The alligator clips off the fiat cable to my knowledge have never been an issue being wrong. But as you said I tested the cables you are using and they worked perfectly for me.

It maybe be that you grounded out the positive by accident?.

Landa might have a stock ECU

http://www.ducati.org/forums/parts/55518-parting-out-clean-title-2010-848-a.html

ECM? http://www.ducati.org/forums/parts/58262-848-stock-exhaust-parts-other-stuff.html

·
Registered
529 Posts
It maybe be that you grounded out the positive by accident?.

This is what I was thinking, as well.

Did you do this prior to hooking everything up:

"To ensure your cable are working, always run test cable from JPDiag with your both cable connected to computer and battery, but not connected to diagnostic plug. If test is successful, then connect cable to diagnose outlet, switch on ignition, and click on connect from JPDiag main window."

I'm coming up on my 22.5k service, and have been researching JPDiag as an option to reset my service indicator... after reading your post, I'm going to proceed with caution after some additional research.

Good luck, man!

·
Court Jester
12,081 Posts
This is what I was thinking, as well.

Did you do this prior to hooking everything up:

"To ensure your cable are working, always run test cable from JPDiag with your both cable connected to computer and battery, but not connected to diagnostic plug. If test is successful, then connect cable to diagnose outlet, switch on ignition, and click on connect from JPDiag main window."

I'm coming up on my 22.5k service, and have been researching JPDiag as an option to reset my service indicator... after reading your post, I'm going to proceed with caution after some additional research.

Good luck, man!
Charles this is a great write up.

How to: DucatiDiag

Here is my video (I'm horrible at these you do a great job on yours)

Reactions: Charles

·
Registered
218 Posts
keep in mind, there are also heaps of stock 1098 ECU's on fleabay that you can flash if push comes to shove.

given all of your ECU-related issues (i've just read your other threads), a new ECU is probably in order anyway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man has this ever been a nightmare for me. I swear I followed everything and checked everything to the best of my knowledge. But what JP said was my ground wire is probably fried. He said to make a external link from pin 2 of the diag cable direct to ground.....but this may sound dumb but how do I do this if everything is all closed and connected??

Also, if I do buy a new ECU, do I have to buy the matching dash with it because some other italian bikes must link the dash and ecu together. That is what I heard around the shops

·
Registered
218 Posts
Man has this ever been a nightmare for me. I swear I followed everything and checked everything to the best of my knowledge. But what JP said was my ground wire is probably fried. He said to make a external link from pin 2 of the diag cable direct to ground.....but this may sound dumb but how do I do this if everything is all closed and connected??

Also, if I do buy a new ECU, do I have to buy the matching dash with it because some other italian bikes must link the dash and ecu together. That is what I heard around the shops
hahah dont stress dude!

you probably did everything right, but it sounds like your bike (and specifically, your ECU) wasn't in the best shape even before you kicked off the JPDiag adventure.

i would shell out the $4 or so for a new FIAT adapter cable, and make sure you're working with brand new, functional cables before you start again. from there, you have two (cheap) options:

1) find the right ECU for your bike second hand, and fit it.

2) buy a generic 1098 ECU (it is a 1098 right?), fit it, then flash it with JP's writer software. will set you back $120ish but lets you play with the tuning etc.

Other options are things like Nemesis, sending an ECU off for a RexXer tune etc...but they're all significantly more $$$ than the above options.

**also need to remember you'll need a TPS reset with whatever route you go down. can do yourself with the JPDiag software - but again, make sure your cables are working first - do the tests inside the software, and the multimeter check before you begin.

lastly, i've not heard anything about needing to link the dash to the ECU.

·
Court Jester
12,081 Posts
Chicken the cables are pretty much brand new I used them once. Mach asked me for my cables because he is in Canada (Amazon won't ship their and EBAY was too long for him to wait). I used the cables he has once and verified they are correct and working fine.

Just got my replacement set today had to purchase from a different source so I'll have to make sure they are wired correctly as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE for anyone who makes the same mistake as me.....

After thinking that I completely blew out my ECU and having to buy a new one, this was not entirely the case. After talking with JP and what i can do to save the ECU he suggested that I only blew out the ground pin on the diag cable. Here is how you fix it.

Simply....run a wire from pin two "middle pin" of the diag cable to a external ground. I simply put this on the negative terminal of the battery. This basically solved the problem and made everything go back to normal. So no more fans running, and tps errors. Doesn't look good but that wire is hidden under the bodywork anyways.

However I still have a EXVL error most likely due to the fact that I do not have a servo. JP told me that the "check engine light" and this error cannot be erased by his program unless you reflash the ECU.

Hopefully this helps anyone who has been in the same situation. Questions?

·
Court Jester
12,081 Posts
Well I'm glad you got it sorted, so what caused the pin to go bad? Do you accidentally ground something out?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly have no idea how the ground pin went bad....maybe it was because I disconnected it improperly like what you are suggesting. But I am glad it was not any worse

·
Registered
218 Posts
Depends how badly you want to get rid of that light, but $125 is worth it imho for the ability to flash your own ECU and customise your tune.

It'll also make you more familiar with your ECU...the things you can do with JP's writer software are pretty damn sweet.

p.s. I would probably get a new cable!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Depends how badly you want to get rid of that light, but $125 is worth it imho for the ability to flash your own ECU and customise your tune.

It'll also make you more familiar with your ECU...the things you can do with JP's writer software are pretty damn sweet.

p.s. I would probably get a new cable!

I thought that Jp's writer was no more? Is there a new one? I have been on the search for maps and programmers for my 1198

·
Registered
2 Posts
THANK YOU!!!!! I already had an ECU in my shopping basket online and decided to try one last search. I was having an identical issue. The bike would run amazing while connected to the cable, but as soon as I disconnected it, the yellow Check Engine Light would come on. I would have several error codes when I would reconnect the cable. Reading online I found a lot of entries that said the ECU was probably bad, much like some of the advice given in the beginning of this thread.

I found this thread and decided it was a free fix as I already had wire and connectors. It took all of 10 minutes to fix. I turned the key on and TAH-DAH... no error codes. You saved me several hundred dollars and a week without my bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.