Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first a HUGE shout out to TChase for getting me set up software wise with the JPDiag. I'd tried and tried to figure out what needed to be installed t get going but didn't realize you can't just open the zipped files, they need to be saved to a new folder. Set up solved.

Next it had to be configured in English and cables chosen.....once again TChase gave me screen shots of what I needed and helped me out.

So now I have the software and cables and polarity looks good. Next up I had to figure out the COM port thing. Got that figured out and things are looking good.

I watched the set up videos and sequence of events and set forth to check cables before actually connecting to my ECU. I spent the next while basically having my software lock up when I tried to do a cable test before connecting the ECU cable and hitting connect on the software. After much COM port farting around I found a good one and still couldn't get the cable test to not freeze up the software. Test 2 kept coming up with runtime error all down the box till I would stop it and lock up the program.

Not sure what I did but I finally got the Test 2 box to be displaying delay sequence and then other mumbo jumbo but the final result was test 2 OK!! Victory!! NOT!!

So it does the test and comes up good and then you hit connect on the actual diagnostic section and it goes to green and connect and that's all it does. I can't get it to read my ECU so I can send it's info off to get the license so can reset my TPS and service tag.

Anyone else running the DucDiag/JPDiag run in to this problem?? All I wanna do is reset my TPS and service tag and it's turning into an all day affair!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey [email protected],
Its been a while since I used mine but I remember I had to turn my bike on (not start engine) BEFORE I hit the connect button and not after. I initially thought even with the bike off, the ECU is still powered but I think the key needs to be in the on position so that all bus devices are powered and communicating data back to the ECU.
Sorry if that sound like an obvious thing but you didn't mention it specifically. Just trying' to help.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hmm. Mine only works on COM 9. Tomorrow I need to flash a different map onto the ECU I sold, if you have time in the morning I can walk you through it while I'm doing it

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm that is a great offer but your several hrs ahead of me so not sure what your morning is.

·
Registered
248 Posts
order of events is:

1) Connect computer to bike
2) Pull ECU details
3) Send to JP via his site
4) Email with licence comes back
5) Copy licence into folder containing JPDiag
6) Connect computer to bike
7) Reset TPS / service light / etc

in terms of the order of connecting cables etc to the bike:

1) Fire up the JPDiag software
2) Connect the USB to your computer, and the alligator clips to your battery
3) Perform the cable test
4) If cable test is okay (also run a multimeter across it to make sure), connect the 3 pin FIAT adapter to the bike
5) Switch bike on
6) Hit "Connect" on the JPDdiag software

i dont have the software up in front of me, but from here, you just copy the ECU details into Notepad (assuming you cant connect to the internet from your garage or wherever), and then paste it into the form online when you can get on the net.

·
Court Jester
11,826 Posts
Pat does the laptop you use have a true db9 com?

·
Registered
543 Posts
[email protected], can you enlighten me on how to get the software? I have tried to register on JPs site but he hasn't confirmed the registration in about 3 weeks...and as far as i know, that's the route I need to take to get the software

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ducati.org Forum mobile app

·
Court Jester
11,826 Posts
I know this port is not used however I have found that only a laptop with this port on the mother board will work. New laptops do not have real serial ports they are virtual via USB.

My theory is JP software has issues with non serial 9 pin com ports.

·
Court Jester
11,826 Posts
[email protected], can you enlighten me on how to get the software? I have tried to register on JPs site but he hasn't confirmed the registration in about 3 weeks...and as far as i know, that's the route I need to take to get the software

Not true download install connect get a read out then you submit the read out he will then send you an unlock file that allows you to clear serv message and reset tps.

Reactions: CorseRob

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not true download install connect get a read out then you submit the read out he will then send you an unlock file that allows you to clear serv message and reset tps.
spot on.

you need to download the software, pull the ECU data, then send that to JP (via the website) before you can register the program (via the licence file he sends).

once you've done that, you can use the features of the program, e.g. TPS reset, Service Lights etc

ps. my laptop has no issue with COM ports and is only 18 months old. there is a link to a COM port redirection tool in the JPDiag FAQ - you can use that if you need to, but it shouldnt really be an issue

·
Registered
543 Posts
I must be on the wrong site or something then...i had heard that to get the diag writer you had to register on his site first and purchase it from him...i also didn't see a contact for him, did I just miss it and need to look closer?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I must be on the wrong site or something then...i had heard that to get the diag writer you had to register on his site first and purchase it from him...i also didn't see a contact for him, did I just miss it and need to look closer?

the writer is different software. and it costs money, as you've said.

the first step is to download the JPDiag software. it's free and available from the JPDiag website.

you then use it to pull your ECU details, and send that to JP via the online form.

JP then sends you a licence for the JPDiag software, which you copy into the same folder. This allows you to make use of the TPS reset, Service Light reset etc.

if, after that, you want the ability to upload maps to your bike, change fan temp settings etc, you need the writer software. same process applies here - you pull your map, send it to JP, he provides another licence and you save this into the writer software folder.

·
Court Jester
11,826 Posts

Download page

Reactions: CorseRob

·
Court Jester
11,826 Posts
spot on.

ps. my laptop has no issue with COM ports and is only 18 months old. there is a link to a COM port redirection tool in the JPDiag FAQ - you can use that if you need to, but it shouldnt really be an issue
Mine "new" was more like 3-4 my old one is 7-8 years old

1 - 20 of 28 Posts