Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first Ducati, its a beautiful Monster 821. I test drove the 821 and the 1200, though I chose the 821 because the sound from the exhaust sounds so much nicer than the 1200 (both stock, of course). Everyone is telling me to buy the slip-on Termignoni exhaust. I really want to, though the sound is so nice, especially when the engine idles, that I can't even imagine it sounds any nicer with the upgrade. I can't really hear the difference of sound in youtube videos. I don't care as much about performance as I do the sound. Does anyone in the great Los Angeles area have a Monster 821 with a Termignoni slip-on exhaust? I would love to hear it in-person if anyone could show me. I would really appreciate it... What happens to that beautiful idle-popping noise after you install the Termi's, does it get even louder? Any thoughts, guys? Money isn't an issue if the Termi's will make my bike sound even meaner... Any thoughts, suggestions, or comments? Is there a better/louder slip-on than the Termi's? Again, price is not a factor, I just want the nicest sounding system ever. Thanks Ducati fam!
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle
Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories Automotive exterior

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi GeorgAgha,

Congratulations on your new Monster! I had the Termignoni slip on exhaust from day one when i had the bike delivered and all i can say is WOW on the sound! I had an 848 Evo prior to this Monster and also had Termi slipons and the sound is almost identical! I would of been happy with the stock sound on the monster but i was able to compare it at my local dealer and made my choice of even a louder and meaner sound. It is a MONSTER so i wanted to get that perfect tune! lol! Anyways, if i only live in so CAL area i would be happy to have you hear her, but i am in Canada. I also feel that i have a little more room on my right heel hitting compared from the stock since the heat sheild is a bit smaller and lower. i am about a size 9.5 on shoe and noticed this when sitting on it before i made the purchase. Anyways, I don't think that you will have any regrets if you were to decide to have this exhaust put on as well! Nothing but the best sound for me too!
Btw, I love your helmet! Who makes that and what model is it?!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey @Bobbyzn thanks for the kind words. I got my helmet from the Hustler store in Hollywood, CA. I don't have it with me now, but I think the manufacturer is called Rockhard. Thanks for your input regarding the Termi's. Did the stock muffler noise just get louder and deeper? Or did the sound change completely? I really wish I could hear the sound before I actually buy it, because the stock sound is so nice as it is. If the Termi's keep that same tone and just amplify it, then that's exactly what I am looking for. Would you say the Termi's changed the sound from the mufflers completely, or did they just make the existing noise a lot deeper? Also, I know the local Ducati store sells them, any suggestions on where to buy a brand new one at a better price? I definitely plan on removing the DB killers too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey George,

The Termi's will give you the amplified, deeper and MEANER sound vs. the stock! This is why i decided to have them put on! The Termi cans come with a silencer which will sound almost at par with the stock but deeper. I had taken them off to get the full amplified mean grunt sound. You will also get a tunning set up with the Termi kit to match with your fuelling i guess, this also got rid of some of the back firing from the stock. Stock fueling is usually leaner for that reason. Remember there are two types of the Termi Slipon's. There is the Race cans and there is the Homologinize cans. I opt for the Race cans which has no ristrictions flow.

bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, are there any other dealers (in the US or elsewhere) that sell The racing version of the Termi's at a better price than the Ducati dealer, that you know of? Anyone?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same bike as you bud, white with red looks awesome. I am having the same concern. This exhaust is very deep and throughty for a stock exhaust. I would really like to hear from a few people who had a stock 821 exhaust and put some miles on the bike and then went up to a T exhaust cuz then you can really tell us the difference if any.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Termi's for 821

Hi guys, I've had my Monster 821 for about a year - first one sold in CA. I also want to add Termi' slips-ons. Can you tell me if I'll need to make any changes to the bike - I see mention of 'mapping'. Sorry if this is an exhaust 101 question, but this is my first time :).
Also, do I buy the racing or homologated set - does either affect the catalytic converter on CA bikes? Lots of questions from a 1st time forum user...thanks for any help.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've heard the Competition Werkes slip-on first hand and it's a beast.. Same with the Arrow (formerly known as the "Thunder"). These are both significantly less expensive than the Termi slip-on's and sound as good if nto better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How loud are the race cans with/without the baffles compared to stock?
I have ordered them but I'm a little concerned that they might be too loud.

·
Registered
34 Posts
They do drone on the highway at constant throttle. I recommend earplugs to cut down on the wind noise and constant droning. On any other road, it's a wonderful racket and only adds to the rhythm of riding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
man....you guys are killing me! Don't you know I just bought a Monster...now I need to get a Termi slip on too??!?!?!?

Operation "convince the wife the bike came with pipes that looked like that" is about to commence.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Operation convince the wife was a success. It was a covert operation including a small "slight of hand" play and is quite similar to something I have heard from her before...like, "those shoes? Oh, I've had those forever."

So, if anyone is asked....Termi's are stock exhausts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another question guys.....

Does the Termi exhaust come with an ECU? I don't see it mentioning that, just mapping key. Is that because the new Ducati's (like my 2015 Monster 821) all have programmable ECU's so you don't need a new ECU? Just the mapping key?

The dealer is going to do the install and the mapping they said. But I don't know if that means I have to buy a separate ECU or if I don't need it?

Also, should I change the air filter to increase performance? I hear there is a high flow air filter that is better than a K&N? If so, I would like to have this done at the same time so everything can be programmed right the first time.

And, if that wasn't enough questions.....does the ECU need to be remapped if the DB killers are put in or removed? Or is that not an issue? I am looking at ordering the DB killers from DesmoWorld so I have sent them an email asking if they make a kit for my termi's? Is this what people do? I just want a really nice sound. I wouldn't mind without any DB killers at all but I don't want a shitty sound, I want a high quality sound.

Thanks for your time guys.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Another question guys.....

Does the Termi exhaust come with an ECU? I don't see it mentioning that, just mapping key. Is that because the new Ducati's (like my 2015 Monster 821) all have programmable ECU's so you don't need a new ECU? Just the mapping key?

The dealer is going to do the install and the mapping they said. But I don't know if that means I have to buy a separate ECU or if I don't need it?

Also, should I change the air filter to increase performance? I hear there is a high flow air filter that is better than a K&N? If so, I would like to have this done at the same time so everything can be programmed right the first time.

And, if that wasn't enough questions.....does the ECU need to be remapped if the DB killers are put in or removed? Or is that not an issue? I am looking at ordering the DB killers from DesmoWorld so I have sent them an email asking if they make a kit for my termi's? Is this what people do? I just want a really nice sound. I wouldn't mind without any DB killers at all but I don't want a shitty sound, I want a high quality sound.

Thanks for your time guys.
The mapping key is used by the dealership and will modify the ECU similar to flashing an ECU in a truck or car. No need for a second ECU.

MWR Racing makes great aftermarket air filters. However, from what I understand the Map for the Termi Slip ons does not account for an upgraded air filter IIRC. In this case you would want to go the route of aftermarket tuning (Power Commander / Rapid Bike Evo etc.).

In regards to the DB killers you should be able to run them with no issues with the Map Up Key provided by Ducati. Best performance/sound will be had without em. I would wait and see how you like them without the DB Killers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My missus didn't notice the termi even after she had been on the back of my bike
lol...i'm hoping the same! haha

Also, I contacted Desmo World. They got back to me and mentioned they don't manufacture a DB killer for the 821 Termi racing exhaust but that if I (or any one of us) provide dimensions to them, they will manufacture and ship without a problem.

So, has anyone done this? Does anyone have the dimensions? I don't have the pipes yet so I can't measure and give the dimensions to Desmo.

Cheers,

Adam

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.