Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here she is - my 2008 848. As you can see there is hardly a nut or bolt on it thats standard. I bought her new and the project to modify started right away, usual CF bug etc but the best mod by far was the 1198s forks and rear shock - made the bike night and day from what it was.That combined with the Bridgestones make it an amazing bike to ride.
I sat and wrote down the upgrades the other day and its over 50 individual items !
Theres the usual mods behind the scenes, 41T etc but as it stands now (with only 4k Kms on it) I think she's beautiful to look at and I can honestly say I know the bike inside and out. My OCD wanted the bike to be a full black and red scheme so if it didnt come in either colour then it was powder coated.

Question now kicking around in my head is - do I sell her and get a Panigale and start a whole new project ?

What do you think ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
You have way too much time & money invested in your 848, I would just keep it because you will never get the money that you put in out of it & you will be kicking yourself in the ass!

Donger is right...get a steering dampener on there & enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Great combo!

Now ya need that steering damper
Looks like you have the AEM triple top clamp (or something similar) so thought Id post a shot of my AEM item along with the Bitubo steering stabilizer too - which Donger just bought for himself (or should I say I bought for him?) lol.

That bike is super sweet so I would have a serious dilemma on my hands if I were you thinking of trading up to a 1199 man! Tough call for sure!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I definitely think you should keep her. And then i think you should look at that front fork mod and decide you have not gone far enough!

if you have the cash and the insane will to do it i can lay my hands on a set of 43mm Öhlins FG353P gas charged from the D16RR. I know they fit well on the 1*98 so should be workable on the 848. I know there is some spacer modification needed for the rotors. But then you could also consider the rear shock and Brembo calipers, rotors for it too because I'm sure after a chat there is a price for it all :)

but seriously? This is the problem when you invest heavily in a bike modification, it's very much a particularly American obsession ( although the Germans like to go hard at it too ). The problem is you almost have to accept that from day one that it is dead money, only done for your satisfaction because it rarely adds any significant value at resale and can be seen as detrimental on some models in some markets. You should just enjoy your work. Panigale is a completely different ride so try before you buy.
But do try the 899. It's had a hard time from some people but it rides like no other, in a good way.

Oh and I'm sure the Öhlins steering damper from the D16RR is available too. A persistent enthusiast could get all this to fit, I'm sure. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nowhere in the rulebook of life does it state that one can not have multiple motorcycles.

I'm in the same boat. Love my 848 and because of everything I have done to it (not to the extent as 46) I will not part with it. It is one of two bikes in the garage right now and will be one of three when the time and circumstances are right. 1199 will just have to wait awhile...

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
looks like you have the aem triple top clamp (or something similar) so thought id post a shot of my aem item along with the bitubo steering stabilizer too - which donger just bought for himself (or should i say i bought for him?) lol.

That bike is super sweet so i would have a serious dilemma on my hands if i were you thinking of trading up to a 1199 man! Tough call for sure!
:d :d :d

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have everything in the garage to turn this back to totally stock standard in half a day. It could be sold as a standard 848 and then I can sell the "bling" at my leisure.
Hhmm, decisions decisions

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have everything in the garage to turn this back to totally stock standard in half a day. It could be sold as a standard 848 and then I can sell the "bling" at my leisure.
Hhmm, decisions decisions
In that case well you could do that but then again it will take time to sell all the aftermarket pieces & at about 50% of what you have already pain but the choice is yours...myself & a lot of others on here think that you should keep it, ride & enjoy then later add the Panigale to your collection at your own leisure then you will have the best of both worlds!

·
Registered
243 Posts
+1 :yo:

Nowhere in the rulebook of life does it state that one can not have multiple motorcycles.

I'm in the same boat. Love my 848 and because of everything I have done to it (not to the extent as 46) I will not part with it. It is one of two bikes in the garage right now and will be one of three when the time and circumstances are right. 1199 will just have to wait awhile...

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If I had an 1x98 I wouldn't even hesitate to contact you about the those gas forks. There's been a few sets of FG800s floating around from time to time, I just can't justify putting them on an 848. :-/

what can I do to persuade you? the Brembo pots and rotors are also available. You'll be the talk of the Ducati community ;)

I'm not desperate, yet. And yes, hard to justify putting suspension on a bike that costs less than the suspension ;)

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
With as many times as I've downed my bike (and what I paid for it when I first got it), I'm pretty sure the true value of it is even less than just the RT forks I have on it, lol.

I'll get back to you when I get my expert plates and the 848 becomes track/race only. The RSV4 streetbike/trackday project plan would make ya proud. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts