Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 10+ years of riding motorcycles, I've never been pulled over on a bike until now....for get this...not having my front visor down on my helmet (ie no eye protection). I guess the cop was bored. I got off with a warning.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
In my 10+ years of riding motorcycles, I've never been pulled over on a bike until now....for get this...not having my front visor down on my helmet (ie no eye protection). I guess the cop was bored. I got off with a warning.
That's illegal?? :wtf: What state do you live in?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The people's republic of Maryland. To clarify, he didn't like the fact I didn't have any glasses on with the visor up to protect my eyes. I wasn't going all that fast so that's why I had my visor up. I bring my visor down when I get moving on a major road or on the highway. Never had a problem with this passing numerous cops in various jurisdictions until now.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Ive had a New Hampshire State Trooper slap my visor down as I rode by him at Hampton Beach. I was going maybe 6 or 7mph, but he actually hit my visor down with his hand, said nothing....I kept going to avoid a ticket...but I was angry.

Its a law in most states to have eye protection.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Wow - that is so crazy. Of course we lift our visor at times at low speed.

So it's OK for the 'dudes' to roar around Florida etc. without a helmet, but in most states you can get done for having the visor of your full-face helmet up?

Never heard of that one before.

What about the dickheads doing 100 mph on the turnpike in shorts? Where's the consistency?

:confused:

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Wow - that is so crazy. Of course we lift our visor at times at low speed.

So it's OK for the 'dudes' to roar around Florida etc. without a helmet, but in most states you can get done for having the visor of your full-face helmet up?

Never heard of that one before.

What about the dickheads doing 100 mph on the turnpike in shorts? Where's the consistency?

:confused:
Now you're just being ridiculous Pat! Stop making so much sense! Not sure how things are done down under, but around here, we don't mix logic with laws. Hence our law makers are carefully picked so that people that work in science, math, engineering, and other technical fields can NOT become a senator, or house representative.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
ROFL!!!!! Rub you're right on that one! :)

I didn't know you needed to wear eye protection in New Hampshire, a state with NO helmet law. Protect those eyes gents, but forget about the mellon. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it?

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I agree totally. And don't worry - we tend to keep commonsense and science well away from law-making here too as a rule.

Just wondering why we can't have a conversation without - you know - butting in? If we were sitting at a bar having a conversation a certain dickhead wouldn't intrude on our conversation, as he could expect to be dealt with appropriately.

A pity simple manners and societal behaviour doesn't prevail in this place. Just makes me feel weary.

And my melon only has one L in it..

:ahhh:

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Rub is right almost ALL the time...just sayin...:!:
Ha!! Maybe it appears that way...maybe just on this forum...because after all it's a forum, so I can take a minute to think about something before typing. In the real world I'm wrong a lot...about a lot of things...just ask my boss and other work colleagues :eek:

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I guess I was referring to the fact that you usually don't just post stuff
Like you are giving the "Opening Welcome" at the Village Idiot Convention......:)

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Don't be too hard on yourself Rub. We reckon you know a thing or two.

And of course we know what Bob was referring to.

;)

Back on the 'getting pulled over' topic - we are enjoying absolutely perfect weather here at the moment.

I am about to hit 2,000 kms on the rebuild and it's sublime.

Haven't been caught up with by the 'motorcycle speed blitz' yet. We have a double demerit points threat at holiday times.

Well-intentioned perhaps, but cruel if you get done! Proceeding with caution, even though I can now rev it right out..

It's definitely got a bit more since the rebuild. Plus a few more ounces removed.

Thanks EL and [email protected] for your contributions.

:)

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Going off-topic here Pat but since you mentioned weight...do you have a number for the current weight of your bike now (dry or wet or whatever configuration)? And do you know what it was when it was bone stock? And tend not to trust manufacturers' values because they all have different ways of doing it.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
We actually have DOT rules here in BC which state we DO have to have eye protection if our visor isn't down. In a car you have to have windshield wipers but you don't have to have a windshield.....as long as you're wearing eye protection.

Here's one they tried to nail us on last year. As of Oct you legally have to have either winter tires or at least all season rated tires. No manufacturer makes an all season rated motorcycle tire. In Oct we still have days in the low 20's (70's) and ride almost all year long.

A few of my friends got pulled over by police (temp was 21C) and ticketed for improper tires and bikes towed for being unfit for the road. Tow truck driver shows up thinking they've been nabbed for excessive speed which is now a mandatory towed offense in BC. Tow truck driver finds out what they're being towed for and two of them refused to tow the bike. All 3 go to court and judge asks the officers to take their heads out of their asses and use better judgement next time they are out on the roads. Sad thing is......the two friends who DID get the bikes towed ended up with a tow bill for $175 and storage of $150 and found not guilty but no compensation.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
^^^ You are a better man than Bob, I would be chomping at the bit to see 11k on the dash!!!
Ha ha ha! yes, exercising restraint was never my strong suit, but I've managed it so far. But it sure sets off over 7,000.

And it's 'champing at the bit' - as in a restless horse.

Funnily enough this is another one of Steve Martin's. (Steve, Steve, is that you)?

:D

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
We actually have DOT rules here in BC which state we DO have to have eye protection if our visor isn't down. In a car you have to have windshield wipers but you don't have to have a windshield.....as long as you're wearing eye protection.

Here's one they tried to nail us on last year. As of Oct you legally have to have either winter tires or at least all season rated tires. No manufacturer makes an all season rated motorcycle tire. In Oct we still have days in the low 20's (70's) and ride almost all year long.

A few of my friends got pulled over by police (temp was 21C) and ticketed for improper tires and bikes towed for being unfit for the road. Tow truck driver shows up thinking they've been nabbed for excessive speed which is now a mandatory towed offense in BC. Tow truck driver finds out what they're being towed for and two of them refused to tow the bike. All 3 go to court and judge asks the officers to take their heads out of their asses and use better judgement next time they are out on the roads. Sad thing is......the two friends who DID get the bikes towed ended up with a tow bill for $175 and storage of $150 and found not guilty but no compensation.

Wow...that's all i have to say. And cops wonder where some of the stereotypes come from (not that they're all like this by any means, but some do fit the bill).

So how would they even tell if those tires weren't rated all season? Motorcycle tires have different ratings, don't they? What made the cops think they're not all season just by looking at them? I suppose if they're sport bikes, that's pretty easy to tell but with other types of bikes it might not be so easy.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Going off-topic here Pat but since you mentioned weight...do you have a number for the current weight of your bike now (dry or wet or whatever configuration)? And do you know what it was when it was bone stock? And tend not to trust manufacturers' values because they all have different ways of doing it.
Oh yes, I am fully cognisant of the manufacturer's bullshit claims. They claim 171 kgs - what's that, with the crankshaft and battery left out? Like the 15.5L they claim for the stock tank.

If you run it out until it stops, and position it as vertical as you can without it falling over, and the front up a bit, it takes 14.7L. That's it. So yes, I'm pretty clear about manufacturer's claims. It's a wonder the lawyers don't go them.

My measure agreed exactly with Master Bike's comprehensive comparison test with all the superbikes, which includes a precise weigh-off. I did the weighing with a mate with a DB7 1098, which they claimed was 12 kgs lighter. (It came in at 177 - 8 kgs lighter than the stock Ducati, so they're all 'at it').

That is, 185 kgs ready to ride for the stock 1098, but with the tank empty. This of course eliminates the variations in tank capacity, where if it was with a full or half-full tank the bikes with the larger tank would be disadvantaged.

I am now just cresting 23 kgs saved, which puts it at the old Superbike minimum weight of 162 kgs. Fully road-legal.

Lights, horn,indicators, rear mudflap (for The Man).

I haven't weighed it recently to verify that figure, but I have kept track of the comparative weights of parts coming off with parts going back on.

I reckon I'm within grams of exact. I replaced all the bolts in Ti while I had the motor right down, which saved a couple of hundred grams.

The recent small upgrades were titanium footrest pivots, and a T-6 alloy pin for the steering lock. Thanks EL.. (He encourages me you know..)! There's also a sliding block in there which now has a couple of holes in it..

And I bought a couple of carbon items off [email protected] recently, which saved another 120g. Thanks mate - they fitted fine. And look quite nice..

:D

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.