Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I just sold my Ninja 300SE it was my first bike, I did 32000km on it, had it from new, not bad bike for a 300cc.

I ordered 821 and picking it 3 feb. cant wait :)

It will be so diffeent then little ninja i guess.

Anyway, I know you can lower seat, I will get that done, but is it lowering that shock spring a good idea? is it lowers the bike? On stock its on medium I was told, they said They can set it one down, but is it good idea? Sale guy said its not so good for faster rides.

I live in thailand, and roads here are bumpy with lots of holes.

Is it setting that spring one down makes bike bit lower or just softer when you sit on it it goes down?

I got radiator guard ordered for, any other must have things I should consider?

Thanks for help

heres bike

·
Registered
54 Posts
The 40 mm low seat (there are two low seats available) lowers the bike "substantially". You can also use the lower front brackets on the frame to lower that seat even more. I dunno how much you need but the 40 mm seat puts you closer to the ground than a stock Ninja 300.

I'd definitely go that route first before you start messin with the bikes geometry.

·
Registered
118 Posts
+1, if you're not familiar with preload, do a little reading before touching shock adjustments. Its not a "ride height" adjustment.

Also, this may sound fundamental, but what are you putting on your feet...? I'd try the lowest seat position on the stock seat with a decent pair of riding shoes / boots and if you're not comfortable, check out the optional lower seat.

I just picked up a set of Alpinestars S-MX 1 boots for a nice price on clearance, great compromise set of footwear, casual enough to wear around at your destination, and more protection than sneakers, etc... Also give you a little extra height.

PS, you're going to love the bike.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just as DucRider mentioned. I would not mess with preload and rebound unless you are setting sag for your weight and know what you are doing or having the dealer perform the work. Finally, if you need to get both feet down look into the lower seat (P/N: 96880111) as mentioned. Maybe look into speedymoto sliders, I have not had to use mine but it sure is cheap insurance. Congrats on the purchase! Its a fun bike.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Some of the best advice I've gotten off this forum is expect more from the dealer. You should ask them exactly what you posted here and have them set the sag for you at no charge. Your are purchasing from them after all.

Reactions: hostile

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh, PS, its in the manual, but who reads that...:confused:

There are two plastic pieces (two bolts each) that you will need to remove from the bike to set the seat in its lowest position... Will be obvious when you look at it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, PS, its in the manual, but who reads that...:confused:

There are two plastic pieces (two bolts each) that you will need to remove from the bike to set the seat in its lowest position... Will be obvious when you look at it.
Thanx for all info

Its dealer who set it up.

Btw.
How u breakin engine? Obviously will ask dealer but would love to hear from you.

Cant wait 3 feb.

Oh and I just use sneakers like nike adidas. As Im in Thailand and its too hot for leathers and that.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Thanx for all info

How u breakin engine? Obviously will ask dealer but would love to hear from you.

Oh and I just use sneakers like nike adidas. As Im in Thailand and its too hot for leathers and that.
You'll get two answers on the engine breakin
1. follow the manual
2. drive it like you stole it.

The excuse for hot weather to not wear proper gear just isn't an excuse. At the very least purchase jeans with Kevlar in them and get some low top boots. You'd be surprised good leathers breath well and as long as you are moving not an issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
+1, and the boots I mentioned are (IMO) a great example. They will breathe well, are relatively light, and plenty comfortable. Summers here are plenty warm, which is why I grabbed them, compromise of protection, comfort, and light enough to wear in the heat.

Ditto on the jeans, there are a lot of fine options out there without going down the full leathers route. Honestly same goes for gloves. Plenty tempting not to wear any in the heat, but there are some nice options out there that are surprisingly well vented.

As for break-in, personally, I probably fall somewhere between 1 and 2. :) Take it easy for the first 600 miles (or whatever the equivalent metric may be).

Unfortunately given weather I'm still in that phase myself. Keeping it under 6k "most" of the time. I was more firm about this in the first 100 miles, at this point, I'm just keeping it well under redline, and trying not to load up the motor "too" much until that first service is out of the way.

Did the same when I had gotten my 749.

Coming from the Ninja you had, you shouldn't have too much difficulty resisting the temptation for a while since you'll have substantially more power in the low end anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If lowering nativelly the seat is not enough you can ask to dig a bit the foam of your sites I don't know in Tailand how the business is organised but I know it is probably the safer way to lower your position. I do not recommend to manipulate the spring exept if it is done by a professional.
I Completely agree with chase and DucRider2112 do not exclude good gears and protection even if it is warm outside, and no one plan to fall but it happened at least once ! So somhow it is already planned, accept it and be clever ;) enjoy your new bike ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hostile, how tall are you? I am 5'3", had the seat lowered to lowest position. Suspension was adjusted to "lowest setting" by the dealer. I don't ride too fast and had that setting for almost 4,000KMs and it works fine. Add to that proper boots which offers heaps of reach and I m comfortable with the bike. If you are 5'4" up then the suspension doesn't need to be tweaked.

The Ducati low seat is really expensive, I could ask a professional shop to shave it for me for 1/10 of the price but did not do so (yet) as I already have good reach.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, I just picked it up, and did 50km back home. It was very nice ride, I am impressed as it was easier then I thought it would be (its my 2nd bike after 300cc).

Smooth and easy, I did it on Urban mode tho, want to practice on that before I swith.

Bike after they put oil petrol battery still feals light.

Lowering stock seat did the trick, I can put both feets tlat (almost).

And I am like 170cm tall, and 68kg person.

So far so good.

Got stock exhust but it sounds loud enough, the performance one was very expensive, so I passed on that.

Funny it not shows how much fuel you got, but flash light and display how much km you can ride ?

Need to get used to that.

Got ducati jacket (bought), they gave me small ducati backpack, and voucher so I got tank sticker for it and key ring. Paid for radiator cover aswell.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm 160cm tall and I feel very comfortable on the lower position of my 1200s. But in the normal position, even if i can use only one foot on the floor, I feel better driving in sport mode (I mesn on the wrist, not on riding mode 😏).
But this is my fourth ducati over 1000cc....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.