Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while i have it apart, I wanna know what I should do to it before I put her back together. Its an 09 with just under 3000 miles on it. I've already done the oil and filter,and installed a nice lightweight battery. I pulled out the air filter and its the oem. Do I purchase a BMC?
I also know its not necessary,but do i change the plugs now? (she fires right up)
The poor thing was also sitting outside for months,so should I drain the tank? Or just put a fuel additive in it?
Last but not least...I've never used water wetter before but have noyiced many Ducati owners prefer it.What's your take on it?
I do plan on going -1 on the front sprocket when I replace the gearing. Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! Going -1 on the front is an awesome mod and I wish I did it sooner, the bike is so much more responsive with it. An '09 with 3,000 miles, your valves shoudl be good but you might want to think about changing the timing belts. The plugs should be fine, just change them out when you do your first valve adjustment @ 7500 miles. Post up some pics when you put her all back together!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Did the bike come with any service history ? I would definitely change the belts but to be honest I would look the bike over really well and change all the filters and fluids and plugs and when your in there check the vavle s and then you will have a base line

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
So while i have it apart, I wanna know what I should do to it before I put her back together. Its an 09 with just under 3000 miles on it. I've already done the oil and filter,and installed a nice lightweight battery. I pulled out the air filter and its the oem. Do I purchase a BMC?
I also know its not necessary,but do i change the plugs now? (she fires right up)
The poor thing was also sitting outside for months,so should I drain the tank? Or just put a fuel additive in it?
Last but not least...I've never used water wetter before but have noyiced many Ducati owners prefer it.What's your take on it?
I do plan on going -1 on the front sprocket when I replace the gearing. Thanks in advance everyone!
I agree with above. Go thru the bike's essentials first if it's been literally just been sitting outside to rot for the past few months. Gas should be fine to run, but how many months are we talking and where?

BMC is good for filters. Can also look into MWR, as they have 2pc filters (takes up less room in the airbox, but more importantly better sealing between the filters/airbox/airtubes).

Water Wetter/Engine Ice is a coolant substitute most trackday (mainly Int and Adv groups) and race organizations require to ride/race on track, so if you won't be doing that anytime soon there's no need to change from conventional coolant.

+1 on a -1 front sprocket. My bike had it ever since I got the bike so I never truly understood the difference until I finally rode an 848 with stock gearing. Definitely makes a difference for the better for the sacrifice of a few mph on at the top end. Really not a big deal unless the bike will be living at Road America, Road Atlanta, Willow Springs, or COTA, lol. Street bike and shorter/technical courses the -1 works really well.

Definitely try to get ahold of prior service records if they have any info on prior ownership of the bike. That can save some of the mental wonders.

-Christian

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. It was in a salvage yard here in NJ for i dont know how many months. The oil was clean and she ran quiet so i decided to buy her and go through the inspection process.
Are the belts something i can do? Or should I take it to my local Ducati dealership? (Metuchen Powersports NJ)

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Oh, just to add: if you have the left side apart already for the battery install, it's be a good idea to make sure there is a factory-installed heat shield protecting the battery box (more importantly, the ECU and voltage rectifier/regulator packaged underneath the battery) from the heat of the front exhaust header. VR/Rsand heat do NOT get along.

Also look into a battery cable upgrade. Can either go with one of the MotoElectric kits off eBay, or if you're handy with thick gauge wiring and crimping you can make your own. It's basically just better wiring from: chassis ground-negative battery terminal, starter-starter solenoid relay-negative battery terminal and starter sol/relay-positive battery terminal. Helps a ton with taking stress off the starting system, and will go hand in hand with your new battery.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Oh, just to add: if you have the left side apart already for the battery install, it's be a good idea to make sure there is a factory-installed heat shield protecting the battery box (more importantly, the ECU and voltage rectifier/regulator packaged underneath the battery) from the heat of the front exhaust header. VR/RS and heat do NOT get along.

I see a piece of metal looking like a heat shield underneath/behind the rectifier next to the exhaust pipe. As far as the battery box I dont specifically see anything inside or behind the battery box.

Also look into a battery cable upgrade. Can either go with one if the MotoElectric kits off eBay, or if you're handy with thick gauge wiring and crimping you can make your own. It's basically just better wiring from: chassis ground-negative battery terminal, starter-starter solenoid relay, and starter sol/relay-positive battery terminal. Helps a ton with taking stress off the starting system, and will go hand in hand with your new battery.
If the kit is inexpensive I'll go with that,thank you. I love the battery,so light.

There's a couple of specialty tools that will help with a belt change. Plenty of threads to help you thru the process. :)

Good job taking preventative measures in an unknown. With that few amount of miles, I think it's safe to say its on original everything.
I googled 848 timing belt change but came up a little empty. I always hope for a youtube video but no luck. so long as its possible,Ill do it myself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see a piece of metal looking like a heat shield imbetween the rectifier box and the exhaust pipe. Nothing in or behind the battery box that i can see

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
As others said change out the fluids and give it a mechanical once-over. Then ride it BEFORE you start bench shopping all the mods you think you need. Trust me, they'll come in time.

Reactions: Jayflaco610

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with above. Go thru the bike's essentials first if it's been literally just been sitting outside to rot for the past few months. Gas should be fine to run, but how many months are we talking and where?

BMC is good for filters. Can also look into MWR, as they have 2pc filters (takes up less room in the airbox, but more importantly better sealing between the filters/airbox/airtubes).

Water Wetter/Engine Ice is a coolant substitute most trackday (mainly Int and Adv groups) and race organizations require to ride/race on track, so if you won't be doing that anytime soon there's no need to change from conventional coolant.

+1 on a -1 front sprocket. My bike had it ever since I got the bike so I never truly understood the difference until I finally rode an 848 with stock gearing. Definitely makes a difference for the better for the sacrifice of a few mph on at the top end. Really not a big deal unless the bike will be living at Road America, Road Atlanta, Willow Springs, or COTA, lol. Street bike and shorter/technical courses the -1 works really well.

Definitely try to get ahold of prior service records if they have any info on prior ownership of the bike. That can save some of the mental wonders.

-Christian
Christian....Are there any benefits with the MWR filter as opposed to the BMC?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.