Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm after some advice on how to disable the kickstand engine cut out feature on a 2001 900 sport such that the bike will idle when the stand is down but cut out if you select a gear without the stand up. It seems like overkill that you can't even warm up the bike without having to sit on it because the engine wont start with the stand down even in neutral!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure it was designed that way to be idiot proof. It doesn't start unless in neutral AND stand is up. Mine is a Dec 2001 built 900 Sport so I suspect they changed the design...As soon as you lower the stand, even in neutral, the engine cuts out and I don't like it that way.

·
Registered
564 Posts
That is totally nuts. Just a couple suggestions here then.
1- gave you tried to just unplug the switch completely?
2- if you have a service manual like the Haynes or a factory manual take a look at the wiring diagram. I'd think there's a way to rectify that.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Funny that it won't start unless in neutral with the stand up.. Mine would... Sit on the bike, stand up hit the button and off we would lurch.

Side stand bypass is common.. So is the later ride off with the stand down and shock when it bumps the road.

Shop that did the bypass said to put a Fluro orange sticker on the speedo to remind me about the stand.

Do a search on ms for side stand bypass

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, it seems odd, but that's the way it is Shrek! Mine needs neutral & stand up to start and run, anytime the stand goes down the motor is killed, so unfortunately the temporary fix is to bridge the stand wires but that allows the motor to run anytime which is unsatisfactory...

·
Registered
564 Posts
My bike will start in neutral with the kickstand down but the second you put it into gear it stops if the kickstand is down .
That's the way most of my bikes have been that have the switch.

Heresy the picture on my kickstand wire , as promised
Wire Iron Technology Electronic device Electronics

Wire Floor Wood Cable Flooring

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Racer162, it does look like your one has been modified to bypass it when in neutral. I'm assuming the extra wire you're in your hand has been spliced in under the electrical tape and probably goes back to the neutral selector sensor or some such....?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Here's a couple pics where it connects.
It is worth mentioning that I had to pull my motor to do my vertical cylinder valves and when I did I found this wire was hardwired at both ends so I rewired it with a plug but at the same spot.

Hand Jacket

Auto part Suspension

Hope it's helpful

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.