Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently bought my first pair of leather pants (Alpinestars Missile Airflow) but am right between 2 sizes 50-Short & 52-Short. I am usually forced to buy moto pants based more on length than anything else being 5'3" with shorter legs than torso.

Here is my dilemma, the 50-short fit perfect (for once) in the length department BUT the thighs and hips are fairly SNUG. I would like to swap out the foam hip pads for Alpinestarts CE2 rated pads but that would make the hips & thighs "snugger" :grin. The 52-short have a bit more room to grow BUT are a bit long, not too long that they are not functional, but more like all my textile pants. A little long and bulky in the thighs and lower leg.

SO, do leather pants typically stretch enough when you wear them or is that a myth? A lot, a little, enough to notice? I have plenty of time to return one (have only tried them on at home inside and sitting on bike in garage) but would hate to keep the 50-short and find that there is no way I can live with the fit on long rides (typically ride 4-5 hours every Sunday).

Thanks for you insight!

Rad

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have found that all my quality leather breaks in after a period of use. I wouldn't call it stretching, but more molding to the fit of the body. If you can tolerate the additional pads in the pants put them in now and wear them snug. They will fit better and better over time if you choose the snug pair. If you get something too big, it will always be to big, floppy at speed, and look like you are wearing a diaper when you walk around.

Go with the snug set and break them in with a couple long rides in warm weather.

Just my 2c

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Yes, good leather conditioner and do not look at the women in the pit area.....don't ask. They can shrink easy enough as well and that's not a good thing as they stiffen up when they do. Wear textiles for rainy days.

·
Registered
347 Posts
They will stretch a little bit. I would suggest putting the pads in...jump on your bike or a store demo bike...and make sure you can get into your riding position. If you can and they are just a bit tight then they will break in perfectly. I would not buy baggy leathers..they will only look worse with time and in the event of a crash, hopefully not, you do want the leathers baggy. You want the body armor held in its proper place.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Court Jester
11,688 Posts
You want them tight it part of how they work, Yes they stretch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My experience is that leather pants don't stretch that much. If you are worried that they are too tight, they most likely are. You might gain a little more room, but nothing significant unless they used poor quality leather (not likely).

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a Z Custom Leathers suit I got 10 -11 years ago.
Custom fit as name implies. The only thing that stretched noticeably was the elastic pants waist band. I had them replace that last year. Otherwise it still fits almost as good as new. Only diff being I lost a small number of pounds, but it is still good.

If it has you singing soprano now, don't expect it to stretch too much.
Keep the bigger one, add layers to fill it in.
Maybe a back protector to take up space. Or, just eat more gain some weight! :wtf:

Better yet, get a custom fit suit. It is not much more than off the rack. Oh, custom fit boots too, hell yeah! ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the input. I went with the 50-short. They were snug around the hips and thighs but not too bad. Did a 5 hour ride yesterday and they were fine. I am sure with some leather conditioner and a few more rides, they will be perfect. My gloves and jackets have always stretched with use and S Florida heat so I figured pants will do the same. No way to get taller LOL.

Rad

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have deja-vu of reading this conversation all over again.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I kinda knew you were going to say that...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts