Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a search on the forums and found a similar problem, but not exactly the same. My 2000 Ducati 748S has LED front turn signals (installed prior to my purchase) and they are very dim and half work on each side. They come on the correct sides, however, like i said, its very dim and only half of the bulbs work. For example, when the right blinker is on, the right half of the lights are blinking dimly. when the left blinker is on, again, the lights on the right half of the blinker are working but dim. any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I did a search on the forums and found a similar problem, but not exactly the same. My 2000 Ducati 748S has LED front turn signals (installed prior to my purchase) and they are very dim and half work on each side. They come on the correct sides, however, like i said, its very dim and only half of the bulbs work. For example, when the right blinker is on, the right half of the lights are blinking dimly. when the left blinker is on, again, the lights on the right half of the blinker are working but dim. any help would be much appreciated.
Sounds like your voltage regulator needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sounds like they are connected incorrectly. Swap polarity and try again. Some LEDs won't work at all with incorrect polarity and some will do like yours and be very dim.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ugh. So I checked the polarity, not it. Didn't turn on at all when I did that. Checked the voltage regulator, idle 12.3, @ 5000 rpm 12.8. So I guess that's probably it. Or could it be the alternator or rectifier or anything else?

·
Registered
221 Posts
You pretty much got it. Check them out before throwing parts at it though. You can check the alt output windings while running to see if thaqt's it. If good, then rectifier or wiring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You pretty much got it. Check them out before throwing parts at it though. You can check the alt output windings while running to see if thaqt's it. If good, then rectifier or wiring.
i might be over my head now. which windings exactly are you referring to? i don't want to fry something. i'd take it to the nearest mechanic, but its a yamaha dealership and just to check the things is around 100 dollars.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Locate the first connector from the alternator. It will have 3 yellow wires, one black and likely another that doesn't matter for this test. The 3 yellow are the stator windings and the black is ground. With engine running at high idle or around 2-3k rpms measure AC voltage across each pair of the yellow wires. You should record 3 voltages and each should be about 14 VAC per 1k rpms. Basically each pair 1-3, 1-2, & 2-3 should read right at the same. If one leg is open you will get no or very little voltage. If these are all good, then the regulator is bad. If one or more voltages are "bad", then the stator must be replaced.

There is a possibility that the stator or ground wires have poor connections so inspect them carefully along their path for damage and the connector pins for heat damage or corrosion. If you find anything there, then clean/repair the wires and rerun the battery voltage test while running with everything connected back up. Simple, right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds simple enough. I'll run the tests tonight. thanks! I'll let you know the results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds simple enough. I'll run the tests tonight. thanks! I'll let you know the results.
Alright, so the voltage is the same across all binding pairs. however, i think the previous owner jerry rigged this crap together. they aren't "plugged" into each other, they are more or less spliced and i didnt want to cut the wires to disconnect it so it might not be a good test. still connected the voltage was 11.3 across pairs (1-2, 2-3, 1-3).

·
Registered
221 Posts
Did you check with the engine running? If so, the voltage is still way low. If you check with them connected like that you're not checking the output of each leg, rather the combined output which should be at least 14 volts. Sounds like the wiring may be the culprit in your case. The connector may have been dirty, shorted or overheated and melted, so the PO just spliced it all together without a connector. Without looking at it, I recommend you rebuild the connector properly and go again from there. Who knows what has happened at this point. If I had to guess now, I would go for the RR, but the load could have damaged the Alt as well. Sorry dude, Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, thats a benefit of owning a ducati. if you want something fixed, you either gotta be rich or do it yourself lol. thanks for the luck wishes. i'll see what happens this week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, so we changed out the RR, come to find out, there is corrosion in a wire from the RR to the Battery, that might be the culperit. i'll keep you posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts