Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Ducati 620 left turn signal not working! No fuses blown. Anybody have some advice for me? Do turn indicators have some kind of solenoid for them to work. Right side works. It does not appear to be getting power at the switch but I am electrically challenged. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you check all the cables? I mean, the solution to your problem here may be the most simple one. Did you manage to check if all the cables, that providing electricity to your left turn signal, are unscathed? Also, something could be unplugged. If I were you, I would check every single cable that is related with your left turn signal for such an issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for responding to my issue! My answer is that I have taken apart the switch and can't even find power there but I know there is power getting there because the right turn signal works. (I'm using a "needle light") I've traced the W/B wire all over the bike but obviously cant check the wire where it is wrapped in plastic coating. I just got to the point where I thought perhaps I just need a new switch but they are $175.00 new and $40 used and the used ones could go bad soon too in the event they are prone to do so. Sorry for the long winded answer but I was hoping someone may have experienced what I am experiencing and say something like; "Replace the switch!...I had the same problem."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you for responding to my issue! My answer is that I have taken apart the switch and can't even find power there but I know there is power getting there because the right turn signal works. (I'm using a "needle light") I've traced the W/B wire all over the bike but obviously cant check the wire where it is wrapped in plastic coating. I just got to the point where I thought perhaps I just need a new switch but they are $175.00 new and $40 used and the used ones could go bad soon too in the event they are prone to do so. Sorry for the long winded answer but I was hoping someone may have experienced what I am experiencing and say something like; "Replace the switch!...I had the same problem."
I wish that someone will show up with the answer you expected to see. But, if I were you, I would definately unwrap the plastic part of the cable, just in case that there's a tearing, a cut, a bad connection or something like that. If it turns out that every cable is fine, then I don't see any other "troublemaker" than the switch :confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so another switch did not solve my problem and I am having a very hard time tracing wires on the bike because of all the plastic coverings. Can anyone tell me if these photos are of the turn signal relays? Removing one stopped the blinker from blinking and when swapped (as they both have the same part number) the same condition exists (right side blinkers work and left side does not) Should I replace both of these or perhaps keep looking for the culprit elsewhere??

Attachments

·
Registered
S4
18 Posts
I have been led to believe that the flasher is a built in part of the instrument cluster on our era of monsters and that it should control both sides.
Sounds like you are chasing a bad connection or broken wire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That feedback is s greatly appreciated! Is there a methodical way to do what you suggest?

·
Registered
S4
18 Posts
That's the hard bit.
Got a wiring diagram for it?
It's simply a case of using a multi meter to check the resistance of the wires between each section of wiring but without knowing which pin in the connector is the one you need it is hard without stripping the wiring harness back to trace each wire.
Find a wiring diagram and start by checking if the problem is between the instruments and the indicators or before the instruments.
If you have lost both at the same time it will be somewhere before the wires split to the individual indicators.
I would really be checking all of the connections and earth points really well first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great advice and really what I needed to hear. I keep waiting for someone to weigh in that says something like; "had the same problem and I did..."...this has not happened, obviously, so I will endeavor to take your advice, roll up my sleeves and perhaps resign myself to the fact that I may need to cut some zip ties and peel some wire sleeves. Ill keep you posted and thanks again for "weighing in" !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts