Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just riding to work and all my lights, including dash, went out at the same time. I was on 93 north and didn't have room to pull over so I just slowed down a bit and then they kicked back on. About a mile later the bike did the same thing only I have them come on again after a half mile. I finished riding to boston and it never replicated the problem again. Dash warning lights came on after both incidents but when I tried to access the bike through the dash to see what it might say it didn't say anything.
Could this be a rectifier issue? If so where can I find an inexpensive replacement? I take the bike everyday and it's dark at 5am :(

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
My bet is on the voltage regulator. On your ride home when the bike is hot access the battery voltage reading. My buddy sxlova just replaced his send him a pm. I'm not sure if he purchased it online but he had it fixed quickly.

·
Registered
248 Posts
seconded.

you see one of these posts every month or so. scroll through your dash when it's hot, and while in neutral, give it some throttle. if the Volts jump (i.e. bounce over 14.4ish), go get a new regulator.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Yes. 14.6V is the upper safe limit.

Better to use an external multimeter/voltmeter directly on your battery to be sure, if you can be bothered.

You'll have to have that side fairing off anyway if it's the RR.

But check your primary terminals as well. The battery obviously, but also the earth to the motor, and the yellow wires from the alternator to the regulator/rectifier.

Some have found these last getting a bit crusty with moisture causing corrosion. Some have had oil wicking out through the engine cover along the wires.

Worth a look.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bet is on the voltage regulator. On your ride home when the bike is hot access the battery voltage reading. My buddy sxlova just replaced his send him a pm. I'm not sure if he purchased it online but he had it fixed quickly.

Also could this issue shut the bike off while riding? I was planning on going to the track with sxlova if I could fit it in early September.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It is not the voltage regulator, if it were, the engine would not fire and there would be no spark.

Truthfully, it is more likely a loose wire. Less likely near the battery more likely near the dash / light connections.

In short, a PIA but no cost for a DIYer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is not the voltage regulator, if it were, the engine would not fire and there would be no spark.

Truthfully, it is more likely a loose wire. Less likely near the battery more likely near the dash / light connections.

I ordered a rectifier and a new battery terminal wire kit because my bike starts hard anyways. I'll wait to replace the rectifier but from viewing many previous posts on here it looks like they die easy anyways so it can't hurt to have the part lol.
I'll have to go over the wiring with a fine tooth comb again though :( what a pain in the a$$

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dealer did disconnect and "clean the lead to the ECU so maybe it's loose. I'll start there although I would think it would stop running properly if that was the case and it was at 120 mph when the lights cut out. Kinda scary with no lights so I'll turn it down a notch till I figure this all out. I'll let you guys know when I resolve it.
Hate finding threads on here when people don't post the resolutions to their problems. It's not very helpful

·
Registered
226 Posts
Suspect the battery as well, I just went through a similar situation where the dash went blank during a restart and completely locked up. I had to trailer it home and disconnect the battery to reset the dash. It fired up ok afterward, but the battery was clearly at EOL. If it ever happens again I'll pull the dash fuse instead.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Tom, bring the bike to Ducati Boston, right off 93 on Mystic ave. Good tech ' s there and TJ the service writer is very nice. They can definitely help you. Good luck! See ya at the track sometime!

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
You mentioned the ECU had been disconnected.

Those multi-pin connectors have a slightly tricky/fragile locking system.

Check that they are secure. Those little swinging lock-in devices aren't great. Maybe try a cable tie around them to make sure they are held in place.

Just by way of elimination..

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was checking things as I added the motolectric starter/ battery cables since my bike won't start when it's hot like when I stop or gas.... After I pushed it 1 1/2 miles to my house this afternoon. Anyways I noticed that the battery terminal has a small crack in the positive side. Wonder if that might have contributed to it a little. I'll keep looking.
As far as Carlos shop I've been there at both locations. Done a few track days with Carlo from Boston ducati/ riverside

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ok that says it all...

First off you do need a new regulator because when they begin to fail they do so when they overheat and keep your bike from running.

I replaced mine with a "Hot Shot Series Rectifier/Regulator" and it works perfectly. I still think your headlights are due to a loose connection.

As for the wiring, it never hurts to replaced cracked wires just make sure they are of similar gauge or smaller, thicker wire.

It is all easy to fix, good luck...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. 99.9% it is the reg, I had the same problem and changed the reg and that fixed it.
Why would there be no spark and the engine not fire if the reg is shot?
Just asking because I don't understand why this would happen.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rode it to work today without issue. Regulator should be here before the track day so I'll check the remaining wires at that time.
The hard start when hot has always been a problem since day 1. Dealer said it's not an issue but 3 times in the last month I've stopped for gas an had to push it home or to work.
When I arrived at work this morning I shut it down and then attempted to start it and so far the motolectric kit seems to do exactly what it said. Starts with ease and doesn't seem to be an issue any longer :) now I won't be embarrassed at the gas stations haha

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bravo!!!

Won't start when hot, is a regulator problem, so when you replace it, your bike will run better than when you first got it.

Good job...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts