Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to look at my first Ducati. The owner doesnt know if it has a full system or slip ons. Is there a sure fire way that i can tell when i go look at the bike. And where is the ecu located and how can i tell if its the race ucu. thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The ECU is located under the LS side fairing, right under the battery box.
Judging by how stock that bike is, I would say probably slip-ons.

Ask for all service info on it.

How many miles are on it now?
Last time belts were done? By who?
Ever had any starting issues?
Also check the tank by the damper. Make sure the damper isnt tight to the tank. You should be able to get a finger between the damper and tank.

Bike looks great man. And if you buy it, you will love it.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
That is a slip on system. The full system is larger diameter and also has a different heat shield above the right rear set. You would have to remove the ECU (under the battery) and check which serial number it is. Although if it is a stock ECU that was flashed you wouldn't know by the serial #.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My opinion doesnt count much because ive only put about 200kms(with stock tires from 07 and early season) but I have to admit the Duc feels pretty good. She shakes and vibrates more than anything ive ever owned but i love it. Like others have said though, make sure you get service records if shes got some miles on her.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Those are slip-ons. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Says he is the original owner and she has 4100 miles. He is asking 10,300. I was gonna offer 9k. Thanks for the quick replies. I will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Even $10,300 isn't a bad deal by any stretch.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
If he is the original owner, how does he not know what exhaust is on it?
You'd be surprised how many people are clueless to what they have. Those are typically the people who take the bike to a dealer and say "I want carbon exhaust, make it happen", and don't say anything more specific.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
^ True. But once they are handed the bill, don't they ask what they are paying for? (Rhetorical) :D
Yeah, especially since Termignoni slip-ons are like $2k.:wtf:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If he is the original owner, how does he not know what exhaust is on it?
here is exactly what the owner says:
"Rob, I'll be around late Saturday afternoon - 5:00 ish. I think it has full termi, but don't remember. Paid for it as part of original purchase and was installed after 600 miles. Was a few grand."
And he won't even be able to show me the bike until Saturday so i will keep you posted.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Yep, there you go. Some people buy a new bike and they want to put aftermarket parts on at the dealer before they even pick up the bike. He should still know what he paid for though, but I guess some people just don't give a shit, or they have too much money to really be bothered.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
This is the first Ducati I've ever been on. It's was 40 degrees out but I never had the feeling of being cold. I was just overwhelmed by the Ducati compared to all the Jap bikes I've owned in my life. Made me a little nervous cracking open the throttle, the pickup at 7k rpm is insane! So much more torque than any bike Ive owned and more power than anyone needs on a bike that light. Some vibes in the middle of the rev range but not so much at lower revs, and what vibes there are don't truly get uncomfortable at any time. You can let this motor purr between 3 and 4 thou without much shudder at all. Up top the motor is smooth and sounds heavenly but didn't spend much time there since I really didn't want to call the seller from jail.
Anyway I stopped at the dealer and had them run the vin. The bikes has never had belts changed, only some clutch work under warranty. The termis are slip ons but still sound amazing. The gas tank is rubbing on the steering damper but the dealer says these tanks can be replaced under warranty for 7 years after the original purchase date.
I haven't made an offer yet but am tempted to do so......stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Sounds like the tank has swollen up from too much ethanol, if you can get a free tank under warranty then that's good news!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Sounds good! Just get the service history on the bike, so you know what has been done.

And whatever offer you make, have it be contingent on seller having tank replaced. You dont want the dealer to pull some nonsense where if the bike changes hands the recall is no longer applicable, etc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.