Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Ducati 851, 1991 Ducati 900SS, 1991 Ducati 907IE, BMW Motorcycles too many to list
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am looking for a Lithium Battery for my 1991 851. I would like to find one that fits in the battery holder without modification --Does anyone know of one that will work for me & if so could you supply me with the name & battery number. --If I have to I'll go back with a agm type but would prefer a lithium. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recommend Shorai battery. I just replaced my 11 year old shorai even though it still working, I decided to buy a new one since I was commuting a longer distance. You must have a lithium charger though to keep it topped off and leveled. Not saying that they all will last that long but they make a quality product.

·
Registered
1991 Ducati 851, 1991 Ducati 900SS, 1991 Ducati 907IE, BMW Motorcycles too many to list
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well according to Shorai, they do not make a battery for this application ---& as my original post says give me a name & battery number

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi If you’re interested in getting a Lithium battery, my friend Phuc Lam can help you out with that. Here's his email address [email protected] and phone 408-720-8821

·
Registered
289 Posts
According to everything I could find on the interwebz, the correct battery for the 851 is the same as 916 and virtually every other Ducati from the Cagiva era.

Yuasa UB or YB 16AL-A2. Shorai offers an LFX18L1-BS12 as a potential replacement. That is the battery I have in both my 996 and my 900SS.

It is not the same physical size as the original Yuasa. It’s also about 1/5 the weight at just over 2lbs vs over 11lbs for the AGM.

The good news is, you don’t have to modify the battery box or anything. The battery comes with a sufficient amount of sticky backed foam to build it up so it fits in the OEM box without modification. Just stick the foam on the battery until it fits. It isn’t like you can’t get more foam if you need to.

Ive not had issue with the Shorai being able to start the 996. My 900SS is stil in project form so I can’t give you any feedback on that particular fitment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts