Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick intro I traded in a 2014 triumph thruxton for a 2015 white 821 and the bike all around is so much better. In terms of riding and performance I absolutely love the bike.

I do have some issues so for with it. I purchased it about 2 weeks ago and have 405 miles on the bike. I noticed a couple days ago that the front left fork seal was leaking and left about a 8 inch circle of oil on my garage. I called the dealer and said bring it down we can change it while you wait. So I'm waiting for a deal to get there sometime this week. Now I got out today to get a few pictures of the leak and notice oil leaking from the filter and 2 bolts that are underneath the motor.

I know they could just be lose things but so far I'm disappointed in it with under 500 miles on the bike. They are on their way currently to pick it up for me. I'm just hoping I didn't make the wrong decision by buying this.

Has anyone had similar problems? Is it something that is always going to leak? A fluid like a old Harley? I'm just looking for reassurance that I'll be trouble free for a long time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
first of all the leak from the fork is normal after some time, especially if it was not moving for months.

second, the oil filter might not be tightened enough and got loose with kms. there is the hand-tight rule on the internet, but i trust my service guy who says that for ducatis its not enough. tighten it with a tool.

now which bolts are leaking? are they leaking for sure? if i were you, i d tighten the filter as it is, cleaned very well the area and let it run on idle with a mirror and light or my cellphone on the inside camera to check live for leaks.

dont worry a crack somewhere on the motor is very rare, and someone must have made a huge mistake for that to happen.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think you have just had a bit of bad luck and a bad start , its probably only the oil filter that is loose , I had that happen , no problem since the dealer sorted it

you wont regret changing to a duc

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree with all above but to be honest at the end of the day our bikes weren't made by six Sigma Japanese or overzealous quality obsessed Germans. Not to say that Ducati isn't near perfect, they are in their own way.

And you did the right thing by having the dealer fix it and they will.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm glad everyone says the bike is still worth it. Like I said I freaking love the bike and the entire dealer experience buying it.

The oil filter seems to be pretty tight, I didn't want to go hard on it but I had my tool on it and it felt tight as can be. I do believe the oil leaking is from the crush washer and splashed onto the bolt next to it. (Not sure what it's for yet). As for the fork seal I'm hoping its from sitting and nothing really wrong with it. But either way the dealer is taking care of me. I'll keep it updated and let everyone know what happens and how they handle it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
just for the record, the crush washer method i use (found here as well) is tighten by hand gently, run the bike, if it leaks tighten a bit more, recheck. always worked. i replace the washer every 3-4 oil changes, although its cheap i think i will replace it each time from now on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well here is an update,

They brought the bike back to me after having it for a few days, they replaced the fork seal for me and just told me basically the same thing you guys did is its a common thing of a bike that's been sitting for a little while. I was shocked at how quickly the seal came in since they had to order it from Italy.

The oil leak was coming from the filter and there was a gash in the o-ring from when it was installed so they replaced the filter and took care of a little burr on the mating surface. That caused the oil to splash back on to the bolts making it look like o have several leaks.

They also noticed a missing spacer somewhere on my coolant resivoir and added one on. I have no idea where that was but cool it's normal now I guess.

All in all, I had great service and they stayed late to finish the bike up so they could get it back to me the next morning, unfortunately now it is snowing here and they are calling for about 5 inches. I'm hoping that I get some break in the weather to take her out for a quick spin and get my last minute thrills in on such a great bike. I appreciate all the advice and defenitly look forward to being part of the Ducati family for a while.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I have taken the bike for about a 30 mile ride before we got about a foot of snow. It's just too cold to ride now but I am sure glad I got to ride one last time. I am in love with this bike and the brand in general. But no leaks on the fork or oil in those few miles.

I have no put the bike up for the winter and I will say I love it where it's at but unfortunately my wife does not. Hopefully this attached photo will work. Motorcycle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive design
that is the corner of my kitchen table. I get to look at her everyday. I still have yet to come up with a name for her.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well I have taken the bike for about a 30 mile ride before we got about a foot of snow. It's just too cold to ride now but I am sure glad I got to ride one last time. I am in love with this bike and the brand in general. But no leaks on the fork or oil in those few miles.

I have no put the bike up for the winter and I will say I love it where it's at but unfortunately my wife does not. Hopefully this attached photo will work. View attachment 90692 that is the corner of my kitchen table. I get to look at her everyday. I still have yet to come up with a name for her.
That is the best way to winterize a bike!!! Hopefully the Wife will let you keep it there!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Tell the wife that the dealer said it needs to be stored inside or it voids warranty. Or that if you don't you will have to spend a lot of money winterizing it and you'd rather spend that hard earned cash on her :stickpoke

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.