Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just had the bottom nut that attaches to the oil cooler leaking. Oil all over tire

Luckily I was only on a short ride home and did'nt dive into any aggressive turns!

Tightened the bolt down and it seems fine.
However I was thinking about possibly placing small radiator hose clamps (ones that screw tight) on each nut, so that the top ones have the clamp screw at 3 o'clock and the bottoms at 9 o'clock. The slits on the clamps should catch the points of the nuts.

Then I was going to run safety wire from top to bottom respectively 3 to 9 which should stop the nuts from turning counter clockwise.
Thoughts?

Well added some hose clamps and safety wire. Marked all the nuts with red paint if those suckers move I'll know it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The oil cooler leak is a bit common..

Checking the tightness of clamps and hoses is recommended.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Sometimes it's not the hose unscrewing, but just the fitting itself. I always put a bit of thread lock tape on the male part, that I've found helps a great deal with the leaking issues. Also, sometimes the fitting itself is damaged on the hose and you need to replace the whole hose, seen that as well.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Yes you should be fine with just a re-tighten.

They don't 'come undone' as such - it's just that heating and cooling over and over can reduce the tension against the thread.

They should be given a careful re-tighten at the first service.

Like the solenoid terminals that contribute to starting difficulties. They don't actually back off on the threads - they just lose tension through successive hot/cold cycles.

Normally PTFE thread tape is not appropriate for oil. More for gas or water.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes you should be fine with just a re-tighten.

They don't 'come undone' as such - it's just that heating and cooling over and over can reduce the tension against the thread.

They should be given a careful re-tighten at the first service.

Like the solenoid terminals that contribute to starting difficulties. They don't actually back off on the threads - they just lose tension through successive hot/cold cycles.

Normally PTFE thread tape is not appropriate for oil. More for gas or water.
I prefer the liquid ptfe sealant if i'm going to use it on any oil, fuel, or coolant fittings. But I agree I just check to make sure they're tight every oil change. The hose clamp and safety wire idea isn't bad. I was actually looking for any hex adapters that would fit over the fittings with provisions to safety wire them but its more of a peace of mind thing.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Sorry mate. Just teasing.

It's just that "piece of mind" comes up on here quite often..

Peace brother!

Hopefully you'll be riding soon.

:moped:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts