Ducati.org forum banner

Lower streetfighter seat mod, lowers height by 1 1/4 inches- very easy and free!!!

17K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Snu122 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased my SF last year, I had a Monster prior(allot lower), one big issue I had with my SF was the high seat height, I have short legs and hated being on my toes at stops...

I looked at my options.......but one day with zero experience I modified my seat myself. WHAT A GREAT GREAT RESULT!!!!! I'm now flat footed, and seat is still comfortable! Looks exactly the same. Very happy, and it was easy and free!

easy steps:
-remove seat from bike,
-remove staples holding seat down, w flat head screw driver(might have to use a knife, but careful not to damage/cut seat,
-Now the upper (p)leather seat and foam stays as one piece (they are glued together, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SEPARATE the two), separate the hard lower plastic backing base of seat from foam/pleather material, they simply pull apart,
-get the sharpest blade you can, box cutter, knife or xacto knife
-NOW UR GOING TO REMOVE APPROX 1 TO 1 1/4 FOAM FROM LOWER PORTION OF THE FOAM SEAT.(depending how much u want lowered)
- using a marker draw a line on the foam, about 1 1/2 inches from the edge of the seat foam part, all the way around the perimeter of the seat. (TO VISUALIZE WHAT I WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, THINK OF A BATHROOM RECTANGULAR SOAP DISH, ITS HAS A SHALLOW HALLOW AREA WHERE THE SOAP SITS, WITH THE LIP ALL AROUND THE SOAP, THAT EMPTY SPACE IS WHAT YOUR REMOVING - NOW FLIP THE DISH UP SIDE DOWN), that is the end shape config of seat on ur bike, your going to hollow your seat a bit, but from underneath, the bottom of the foam upward,
-the foam will come off in chunks, but dont worry as long as you take a max 1 1/4 it wont effect the look, there will be ZERO dimpling because its taken from the base of the foam seat, the part that would be laying against the bike not foam touching your ass.
-once you remove the desirable amount of foam from the seat, place seat back onto to hard plastic base.
-what I did was I walked into a family run furniture store, I asked for them to simply stapled the seat back together, they did it in 30 seconds,(no charge) all you need to is to find someone with a strong staple gun, capable of stapling pleather back into hard plastic, very easy.
-once done put seat back on SF and your finished!!!
:)
Ive ridden about 4000km+ on bike since mod, zero problems, even after longer 5-7hr rides, no discomfort, seat does feel very slightly harder, but no discomfort, and even though seat compresses downward slightly cause of the 1 1/4" foam removed, it DOES NOT effect visably, you can not tell mod is done, seat looks 100% same!!

IM REALLY ENJOYING THE NEW LOWER HEIGHT!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
Hello,

im so glad i found this thread, i followed the directions and worked great!!!

I used a saw for metal, the small sharp teeth cut thru the foam like butter.

I also layer cut until i could see light thru the foam!

i have ridden very bad bumps, railroad tracks and didn't feel a thing...

you can take the seat apart yourself and staple it as well, just use one of those heavy duty staple guns... i got one from home depot...:yo::yo:

#5 ·
Thats great! I enjoy my SF soooooo much more...now that my feet are planted at stops.....

Re taking the seat apart - that is what i tried to articulate - i did the same.......thats awsome u found a staple gun to do the job...I swear i went to canadian tire 3 times...tried all theirs guns with no luck...thats when i finally went in to a furniture store....

Hey, just a thought.......... if your ass does start to hurt after long rides..(cause u cut it very thin, which i thinks awsome) im sure u could take apart seat again and add thin layer of foam cut to shape, like a thin "sleeping bag foam ground sheet" and it would fix that problem.......you could even glue the foam together.......and because its the underbelly of the seat it still wouldnt cause any dimpling...........just a thought if you have a problem.......im sure ull be fine, enjoy the lower ride!

#7 ·
I purchased my SF last year, I had a Monster prior(allot lower), one big issue I had with my SF was the high seat height, I have short legs and hated being on my toes at stops...

I looked at my options.......but one day with zero experience I modified my seat myself. WHAT A GREAT GREAT RESULT!!!!! I'm now flat footed, and seat is still comfortable! Looks exactly the same. Very happy, and it was easy and free!

easy steps:
-remove seat from bike,
-remove staples holding seat down, w flat head screw driver(might have to use a knife, but careful not to damage/cut seat,
-Now the upper (p)leather seat and foam stays as one piece (they are glued together, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SEPARATE the two), separate the hard lower plastic backing base of seat from foam/pleather material, they simply pull apart,
-get the sharpest blade you can, box cutter, knife or xacto knife
-NOW UR GOING TO REMOVE APPROX 1 TO 1 1/4 FOAM FROM LOWER PORTION OF THE FOAM SEAT.(depending how much u want lowered)
- using a marker draw a line on the foam, about 1 1/2 inches from the edge of the seat foam part, all the way around the perimeter of the seat. (TO VISUALIZE WHAT I WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, THINK OF A BATHROOM RECTANGULAR SOAP DISH, ITS HAS A SHALLOW HALLOW AREA WHERE THE SOAP SITS, WITH THE LIP ALL AROUND THE SOAP, THAT EMPTY SPACE IS WHAT YOUR REMOVING - NOW FLIP THE DISH UP SIDE DOWN), that is the end shape config of seat on ur bike, your going to hollow your seat a bit, but from underneath, the bottom of the foam upward,
-the foam will come off in chunks, but dont worry as long as you take a max 1 1/4 it wont effect the look, there will be ZERO dimpling because its taken from the base of the foam seat, the part that would be laying against the bike not foam touching your ass.
-once you remove the desirable amount of foam from the seat, place seat back onto to hard plastic base.
-what I did was I walked into a family run furniture store, I asked for them to simply stapled the seat back together, they did it in 30 seconds,(no charge) all you need to is to find someone with a strong staple gun, capable of stapling pleather back into hard plastic, very easy.
-once done put seat back on SF and your finished!!!
:)
Ive ridden about 4000km+ on bike since mod, zero problems, even after longer 5-7hr rides, no discomfort, seat does feel very slightly harder, but no discomfort, and even though seat compresses downward slightly cause of the 1 1/4" foam removed, it DOES NOT effect visably, you can not tell mod is done, seat looks 100% same!!

IM REALLY ENJOYING THE NEW LOWER HEIGHT!!!
Hello, does anybody know it that will work on 2022 model?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.