Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using a Ram mount on their 821 for a cell phone or GPS?

Debating on grabbing one for occasional use to use GPS on the iPhone, and also mounting the GoPro from time to time.

I like the idea of the ball below to attach to the handlebar risers, but it seems like it would get in the way of the display..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for those, very helpful.

I've decided to go with some CRG mirrors and am now debating between mounting the RAM ball on the stock mirror clamp vs getting the bar mount like you have. I think I'll just grab both and see what works out best. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have two RAM mounts on my 1200. I use one for the GPS, and another for either a camera, or a phone with the X mount. Haven't had any problems with either one. Most of the time, I don't have the GPS on the bike....I use it mostly when I'm heading out to an unknown area, or I want to save the ride track for later use. The camera only gets used for scenic rides, or at the track. Both are easily removed, with only a simple RAM ball left behind.

I tried the GPS on the top clamp ball, and it does get in the way of the display. No issues with the mirror mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Anyone using a Ram mount on their 821 for a cell phone or GPS?

Debating on grabbing one for occasional use to use GPS on the iPhone, and also mounting the GoPro from time to time.

I like the idea of the ball below to attach to the handlebar risers, but it seems like it would get in the way of the display..

Amazon.com: Ram Mount Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base with M8 Screws: Automotive
I got that same but with charger

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Mo...USB-Charger-/161880169029?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same as cgmodeling and works great. I use it with my iphone 6, also in high speed or bumpy roads had no issues with the holder. Keep in mind though that they have been some issues with bigger phones (apparently, according to a distributor here in the Netherlands). so if you own an iphone plus version you should better go for the version of the x-grip with the strap.
Now on using the iphone as navigation, i was a bit disappointed with the battery (using maps or google maps). Battery lasted only a very limited period. My best was for about an hour without lots of re-routing. Dont know if it is because of the cold or the vibrations but I would definitely consider a charging solution as well.
Using the iphone as a camera while mounted was terrible (prob. vibration messing up the cam) - not the reason i bought the mount for but that is the experience i had with it. Anyone tried to make a movie with the iphone mounted on the ram mount that has had better results?

Anyway great mount, very stable. i went for the bar mount because i thought it would give me more flexibility.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I want to pick one of these up. Can someone link the mount and the actual handlebar mounts that you picked up? I want to make sure I get the ones that fit properly, since they sell all the attachments separately, and the original link doesn't work.

Thank you!

·
Registered
318 Posts
You guys running GPS on the bars, how are you running power to the units? Also, is there a way to get some kind of USB power as well? I'd like to have the ability to charge my phone... I know this was possible with the battery tender units but curious what everyone else is doing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.