Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I've had my 848 for about ~2 years now, using it to commute/local canyons/track days. I played with the rear suspension a little bit - installing an adjustable ride height adjuster, softer rear spring (80 Nm), and Ohlins rear shock which improved the handling and gave me confidence in the rear over not-so-smooth ground. I always felt like I was fighting the front, almost as if it wanted to run wide, especially compared to the Japanese bikes that I am used to. After much reading on this forum, it appeared that changing the offset of the forks can help relieve that. I wanted to purchase a set of aftermarket 30mm offset triple clamps, but for a few reasons I was hesitant. First of all, I am young and quite cheap. Second, I wasn't sure if I would feel a huge difference from them so I thought why not just modify a stock set? It sounded like a fun and do-able project.

I looked around and found a stock assembly on ebay for $100 so I jumped on it. Upon initial inspection, I noticed that the lower triple clamp already had a lot of material around the “front” side of it (where I wanted to machine into) , however the top clamp definitely needed some reinforcement if I was going to gut it up. I welded up a steel jig and I sent them both to a great friend who did a spectacular welding job adding material to beef them up.

I performed a stress-relieve bake, then with the use of an old manual Bridgeport and LeBlond lathe, I machined some new holes and turned (and knurled) some press-in bushings :)

I mounted them up, the stock steering stops still work fine although I had to remove the factory “bolts” and replace them with longer versions.

I installed the forks and rode my local canyon for a shake-down test. They feel good; I haven’t had a chance to really push it yet so I can’t conclude anything. I’m heading to Chuckwalla Speedway on Friday, so I’ll test them out to see how they feel! It was a fun cheap project and gave me something to do. I’ve been reading on here that a good starting point for the stock Showa forks is ~10mm above the top of the triple clamps? That is with Dan Kyle’s clamp, so I am unsure if that would transfer to this one… Maybe Dan’s thickness is different…? Any recommendations on fork height above the clamp for an initial setting?

Thanks, hope you enjoyed! :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
What offset do most jap bikes run ? I changed my 1098 to 30mm clamps a couple of years ago . Might be easier to modify some jap bike clamps , ?

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
So what offset do you have now? Have you measured it?

I would love to have access to a lathe and a mill so I can make my own parts, but since I don't and I'd have to pay someone to do the work, I found it to be more expensive than just buying off-the-shelf stuff.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what offset do you have now? Have you measured it?

I would love to have access to a lathe and a mill so I can make my own parts, but since I don't and I'd have to pay someone to do the work, I found it to be more expensive than just buying off-the-shelf stuff.
They are 30mm. I am certainly not a machinist by any machines. I'm just an engineer fortunate enough to have access to some fun tools so I play around. Off the shelf parts are great and much better quality than anything that I make .

Thanks,

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
They are 30mm. I am certainly not a machinist by any machines. I'm just an engineer fortunate enough to have access to some fun tools so I play around. Off the shelf parts are great and much better quality than anything that I make .

Thanks,
Nice, me too! But the only access I have is an old shitty lathe at work that's completely manual and not very precise, and a 3-axis mill that I don't quite know how to use. I'm slowly learning still. Plus, all the cutting tools/bits are locked up so they're hard to get to.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
909 Posts
Nice, me too! But the only access I have is an old shitty lathe at work that's completely manual and not very precise, and a 3-axis mill that I don't quite know how to use. I'm slowly learning still. Plus, all the cutting tools/bits are locked up so they're hard to get to.

we have some nice cnc machines at TMI autotech where we build the atoms. Did you send your resume? One more Ducati owner would be cool :stickpoke

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
we have some nice cnc machines at TMI autotech where we build the atoms. Did you send your resume? One more Ducati owner would be cool :stickpoke
Haha! Yes, actually I did just for shits and giggles :D...haven't heard anything...didn't really have high hopes anyway.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I plan to modify a stock bottom from 56mm to 58mm. What would be the best way of doing this?
Kister & Co - Home

I have over bored many triple clamps wouldn't be a big deal at all, just need to make sure there is enough meat in the clamp that it doesn't blow a hole through the side of the pinch bolt counter bore (this is a problem with Speedymoto lower triple clamps)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Kister & Co - Home

I have over bored many triple clamps wouldn't be a big deal at all, just need to make sure there is enough meat in the clamp that it doesn't blow a hole through the side of the pinch bolt counter bore (this is a problem with Speedymoto lower triple clamps)

Have used any Speedymoto lowers on a Streetfighter 1098? I think I've see some on your SF.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
If I could just make a point on this, without being seen as being negative?

Firstly I must say it is very tidy work. No question.

My reservation about going this way, before others decide to do it, is that the lower yoke/triple-tree is a drop-forged item, and its strength will be compromised by welding. This part takes a high load, both in riding use, and of course in an accident.

Not so crucial on the top one, which is only die-cast, and doesn't take such a load. It really just supports the alignment of the lower one.

Not a criticism of the OP - just a qualification as to why it isn't common practice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.