Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my bike to a local shop to have a set or rear sets installed. After they installed the rearsets, he mentioned that my chain was at the end of it's life. I have only put 2,500 miles, but I'll admit that ive never lubed the chain. Would a chain need to be changed this quickly? I have never raced the bike, most of the miles were from commuting. Also, he mentioned that my brake fluids need to be changed, as they are dark. Is this shop BS?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If it sat around unused for a while or a lot of moisture is around, that could cause it to degrade quickly without lubrication. I've seen NEW bikes with zero hours on them, have frozen chain's, with links that are stuck. So it's not that the chain itself is worn out, it's most likely the link's are frozen for some unforeseen reason.

You can usually resurrect chains which have this problem by pulling them off and soaking them in diesel or some sort of cleaning agent. It's not good for the o rings, but if you limit the exposure and then re-lubricate the chain immediately after, it may come back to life.

Dark fluid is also bad news. You can start by sucking out the current fluid and putting new stuff back in the reservoir. If the fluid goes black very quickly again, you need to push new fluid into the system.

Just a hunch, but perhaps there is something wrong with the environment the bike see's on a regular basis. Perhaps a lot moisture?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The bike was purchased last year as a 2014. I garage the bike 90% of the time and live in Los Angeles, CA. We haven't had too many rainy days.
Where did you take the bike to get the chain diagnosis? I too live in LA and I know everyone who works on Ducati's. ;)

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
2,500 without lubrication is not a good plan for your chain. As an external system it is exposed to moisture and dirt.

Just check if there are any seized links - they will form a 'zig-zag' rather than relaxing in a smooth arc on the lower run. If there are, the mechanics are probably right about needing to replace it. Leaving a worn chain on there will wear the sprockets really quickly.

But with regular care a chain should last up to about 18,000 mi (30,000 kms).

And discolouration of your hydraulic fluid is telling you to flush it. The clutch often needs doing more frequently than the brake fluid if your bike does a lot of traffic.

I usually lube my chain and flush my clutch fluid about every 500 miles (800 kms) or so. But your wet clutch probably doesn't need attending as often as the dry clutch models.

As for involving Tye in your repairs.. :eek:

He knows everyone who knows anything about Ducatis in LA, if not the entire world, and is fortunate enough to know much more than any of them. So good luck with that..

;)

·
Registered
12,982 Posts
IF you have a rear stand, toss it up on it and spin the rear wheel by hand. It should roll easily and listen to the hummmmm. If it's a nice even hummmm you're good. If it binds in area, check it out. If it doesn't move well and grunks to a halt......you're chain is kinked and time to fling it.

If it only has a few small links that are binding slightly, clean and lube it and check it in another 500miles. If it's still kinking, change it, if it's relaxed, keep cleaning it and ride on!!

At 2500 miles, if it is too kinked, just change it. Your sprockets will be fine but don't keep riding on it with a kicked chain or you'll be changing all pieces involved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.