Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 5 year old bike with 727 miles on it in mid Aug 2014. All bone stock. The 2nd owner changed the oil and filter @620miles, To my knowledge that's it. Both owners were over 50 and said they kept to Ducati's under 6K before 600miles and not over 7K till 1000.

Only bad thing is 1 of the guys either 1 would say who but 1 of them rode with the back brake on because the rotor has some small grooving when I changed the pads they were toast @727miles. I did check it out before riding and since I changed pads the grooving is almost gone. Still might replace

While riding in 2 days I had over 1000miles on the odom and finely over 7Krpm'[email protected] new full exhaust air fliter and dyno tune. Just like anybody says/does I didn't really trust the PO with what oil and chrome oil filter he used. I got it home after dyno tune put a 100 or so miles and changed to a oem oil filter, crush washer and Motul 300v.

While owning this 09 1198 for 2 months I have also changed the timing belts with new oem belts.

The hoses all look and feel good no drying or cracking. brake fluid looks good, clutch fluid looks a little dirty but not dark. I do plan on changing the coolant. Should I go by the service manual and replace all the cables, hoses, fluids.???

It is 5+ years old but it was more a conversational piece then a motorcycle then though.

Alot of words no pics here I go.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Brake rotor grooved at 700 miles is a worry.
Otherwise I would say you are on the right track with what you are doing.
Just get a after market air filter MWR two piece before the shit OEM Ducati one sucks in a heap of dirt.
Nice looking bike by the way.
I like the white.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
wow 5 years and only 727 miles?...what a waste. glad someone who's actually going to ride it bought it now! enjoy the bike, it's a beast!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I bought a 5 year old bike with 727 miles on it in mid Aug 2014.
For safety reasons, check the tires for dry rott or cracking..

727 miles/5 years raises concern. Can never be too careful ;)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Looks good to me! As a reference, I found a 341 mile 999R and a 800 mile 749R recently on craigslist. So yea, some people simply don't ride motorcycles. I mean, I put 500 miles on my 848 first weekend I owned it! :shrug:

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Two owners, 5 years, and they only managed 727 miles?:wtf: How does that even happen?

I thought mine was bad with 2 owners and 2700 miles over 1 year when I got it.

Congrats on your brand new 1198 though.;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guy's even with my gas tank problems I am happy with it.

Yeah I was not expecting a 2nd owner both lived in the cul-de-sac and were friends

I had buyer's remorse paying 3200$ for the exhaust but once on it and over 7k remorse was gone and was replaced by a big shit grin. Best sounding motorcycle I have owned yet. Besides a pre-unit umph.

Thanks again guy's. here a couple of pics of the MRW 2 air filters and air box.

These were a Bitch to install, I found it easier to install the hard to reach bolts first..

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Two owners, 5 years, and they only managed 727 miles?:wtf: How does that even happen?

I thought mine was bad with 2 owners and 2700 miles over 1 year when I got it.

Congrats on your brand new 1198 though.;)
Yeah no kidding. I thought mine was bad...I've had it for 3 years and only have about 5500 miles...but it's been a track bike for most of its life.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yeah no kidding. I thought mine was bad...I've had it for 3 years and only have about 5500 miles...but it's been a track bike for most of its life.
My SP only done around 1000 miles and has now rewarded me with a shot fork seal:mad::mad::mad:
I dont use her as much as i should but thats how it is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts