Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Long time no talk to. Of course, I'm here because I'm having some problems. Let me begin by saying I only ride in the city, never highway, and generally operate in 2nd and 3rd between 3000 and 4500 rpms. My speeds range from about 30mph to 50mph, but of course there is a lot of stop and go. So, onto the problems...

For one, the gas mileage on my bike is getting worse and worse. In fact, right now it's downright horrendous. Something is clearly wrong. The gas light comes on LITERALLY after between 40 and 60 Miles. That's it. We're talking 13-20mpg at this point. What could it be? Air Filters? Running rich? Plugs? (This is what internet searches have suggested but I don't know what any of that specifically means). Secondly, my bike's temperature constantly goes up above 200 degrees F and, if I ride long enough, inevitably reaches 225 degrees. I have a 2008 Ducati Monster 695. Is my temperature normal for stop and go city riding or is it way too high?

Thanks for all the help as always guys.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
You need to take it to a dealer. With the MPG that crappy it can't hurt to change spark plugs, which you can do yourself... but I wouldn't mess around with an overheating problem; that can get catastrophic really damn fast. I have a Mustang that did that right before the head gasket went and a freeze plug literally blew out of the engine and hit the firewall. Good luck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotcha. I actually have my 6000 miles maintenance coming up so I will be taking it in.

So my temperatures are way higher than norm I'm guessing? What is the norm?

Also, as far as air filters go, someone said they've literally seen dead small birds trapped in air filters. Maybe I have an issue similar to that.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I know 225 is pretty high for my 848, which is liquid cooled and runs at a higher rpm than your air-cooled Monster... so I'm guessing that 225 isn't normal for your bike. Also, if it had been running at that temp before, you probably wouldn't have posted it as a symptom.;) If you feel confident enough to check your air filter it can't hurt either. But if it's something to do with bad ignition (other than old plugs) or the air/fuel mixture you're really going to need someone who knows what they're doing.:stopp:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks a million. And actually the bike has been running at that temp since I got it- just that I was never sure if it was an issue or not. Keep in mind I did get the bike used, with 5000 miles on it. So maybe it ran at lower temps at one time prior to my buying it. The only way I can know for sure is if someone who has a Monster that functions properly can tell me what their normal temp is. But as for the gas mileage... it was definitely better before. Although it was never optimal. The most I ever got was 90miles before the light came on. But I figured that was good given all the stop and go and that I was new and spending a lot of time in low gear/speed. Again, thanks for your quick replies.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well then yeah I'm sure mine is too high... but the temp on my 695 reads LOW until it gets to 120 degrees. So I'm thinking mine is going to run higher than yours. But not quite as high as mine. Today though, it never got above 178. So I don't know. Gotta get it serviced.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Pretty normal to run a air cooled bike around 200 degrees, my MTS 1100 will run at or around 250 in stop and go traffic when its close to 80+ degrees outside, normal temp's have been around 200 and as long as you have synthetic oil you will be protected for much much more then 275 degrees I really dont think you have a problem w/ temp's, but now your gas mileage is a different story...changing spark plugs may get you some better milage but temporary at best as whatever is causing the plugs to go south needs to be addressed and then the plugs will last for 15k or more and not 6k....

·
Registered
457 Posts
That you once filled your tank with diesel gas might be an issue.... Could that cause the injectors to get "stuck" open?

·
Registered
408 Posts
You should get the bike checked for the fuel consumption, but do not worry about the engine heat. 225 is normal and fine. I get to see 260/270 occasionally on my monster in summer when I ride it too hard.

·
Registered
408 Posts
hmm. wow....
+1
wow...

Then you must have most probably fouled the plugs (hope you replaced them after the diesel incident) and you must have definitely fouled the injectors. You must take the bike to a service and get those injectors readjusted to spurt whatever mg fuel they are supposed to spurt, if it can be done. Otherwise get them replaced.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
+1
wow...

Then you must have most probably fouled the plugs (hope you replaced them after the diesel incident) and you must have definitely fouled the injectors. You must take the bike to a service and get those injectors readjusted to spurt whatever mg fuel they are supposed to spurt, if it can be done. Otherwise get them replaced.
so you're saying both the plugs AND the injectors would cause me to get poor mpg?

·
Registered
408 Posts
[/so you're saying both the plugs AND the injectors would cause me to get poor mpg? QUOTE]

I'd say you'd better replace the plugs but I don't think your prolly fouled plugs would dramatically decrease your mpg by themselves. You are talking about too much decrease. You ran the engine with diesel in it, and got poor mpg. I don't think this is a coincidence, apparently the reason is diesel dodging the injectors so they are now spurting too much gas. You can't sort this out yourself, you need to get those injectors checked.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gotcha. Roughly how much is this gonna cost me? And can I take my bike to the Honda Motorcyle shop near me because I've decided I don't like my Ducati dealer. They're slow and they seem to put in the least effort possible (maybe I'm asking for too much but I'd think a good and educated dealer would've anticipated that my plugs and injectors might need attention after I Dieseled the engine and that they would've asked me if they'd like them to be checked/replaced). I don't know if it's just MY specific dealer but I guess I expect more from a Ducati dealer. Anyway, the Honda motorcycle guys seemed cool and knowledgeable the few times I've spoken to them and if this is a standard (that is, non-Ducati specific) type of job I'd prefer to go to them.

I live in Hollywood, CA by the way.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts