Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...after all the threads and posts...suggestions and strongly worded advice to put your bike on a battery tender, I screwed the pooch and didn't listen...:bash:

I last rode on the day after Christmas, then the cold shitty weather set in...I waited and waited and waited for it to get warm and stop raining. 21 days later it finally got warm enough and dried out so I happily set out to go for my long anticipated ride and...DEAD BATTERY!!

OK, sucks, but not a big deal, I live on a hill...just do a roll start, no problem, it started up fine and off I went. Had an awesome ride, 30 miles or so and stopped to meet some friends...surely it had picked up enough charge to start once and I can put it on the tender when I get home...WRONG

In front of the restaurant, bike wouldn't start, tried to push start again...resurfaced and sealed asphalt...tire just slides!...:mad::cussing:

Back home for the truck...had to load the bike up and bring her home. Safe and sound now, but tired and embarrassed.

The moral of this story...PUT YOUR BIKE ON A BATTERY TENDER!!!

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Oooooh yeah it also sounds like the battery might have been ready to crap the bed. A fairly new battery wouldn't have drained that much in just 21 days and would have taken a decent charge after 30mins of riding. See........always look on the bright side.......you needed a new battery anyways but just had to find out the hard way......while out for a ride!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
That sucks. Sorry to hear that.

What's the consensus on longest storage times without needing the battery tender?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really caught me by surprise...I purchased the bike new in may, straight from the crate to me...figured the battery would have lasted longer, but I think you are right, bad battery...guess I just got the bad one of the bunch. Someone had to, guess it was just my turn.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The longest i've had my battery (Yuasa YTS-12B) connected 24/7 with my CTEK trickle charger is nearly 6 months. Battery was perfect upon my return from the Middle East and my bike started (surprisingly) on the second attempt :)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yea, the battery shouldn't die after 21 days of being hooked up to the bike. It really should have been totally fine. I've had Ducati's sitting in my garage for months without a tender and they started right up. If you have an 848 with a stock battery, perhaps you should eventually invest in a better battery. Because the 848 is already known for voltage regulator issues, perhaps the battery simply wasn't being charged very well and that leads to pre-mature battery failure, even if you use a tender.

Just my .02 cents. :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good excuse to get a much lighter and much more powerful battery... just saying ;-)
That is my plan exactly...I plugged it in as soon as I got home, but I'm not going to trust that its reliable until I get the battery swapped out.

On a related note, from what I have read, the Shorai seems to be the lithium of choice...any other contenders or is that one just a bullet proof bad ass battery?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Rob, congratulations on the opportunity to buy a new battery!

Pertaining to your last question, I'm sure there are others out there, but I am going in to my 4th season with my Shorai LFX18A1-BS12. Mine has been as solid as a rock. My bike is ridden 98% on the track and the battery gets plugged in to the battery management system after every track day; I typically have a 1-3 week period in between track days. In the Winter, it stays plugged-in up to 3-4 months straight, depending on the weather here in the North.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info Charles...I will keep that in mind. I don't track mine, but if it stands up that we'll in such an abusive environment, it speaks well for their quality...and since I seem to be having such a hard time losing weight, maybe a quick 5 pound drop from changing the battery is good thing too.

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
I had noticed a pig tail on mine that came with the bike. So I picked up a tender. It can't hurt!

Reactions: CorseRob

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had noticed a pig tail on mine that came with the bike. So I picked up a tender. It can't hurt!
Mine did too...and you would think that since they took the time to give me the bike with a battery tender pigtail already installed, that would have been the biggest clue for me to take advantage of it...I mean, just by them doing that, it's like Ducati saying "hey, there is going to be a problem with battery drain, so to make it easier on you and so you wont have to pull your fairings all the time, here's a tender plug"...

But did I listen?...nope...lesson learned!

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
Always look at the positive.
You could of been stuck in a much worse situation.
You can upgrade to a lighter battery!

We just had a similar lesson at work. We have a wearhouse down the street used for dead storage. We have a propane forklift it doesn't get used much. A few months back it was clicking, so I bought a new battery. No go had to call for service, starter went out. Last week it wouldn't start again, called service, tech says everything is fine but if it's sitting to long get it on a tender..

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 is what you are looking for. It's got mucho more cranking power than the stock battery in the 848.

There are a couple of other brands but have no experience with them so can't comment. I have 3seasons on my Shorai now and it's never let me down even at 3C (36F)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 is what you are looking for.
Heading to the dealer shortly to see what kind of deal they are willing to make me on a Shorai...I figure they should help me a little on it since this one only lasted 7 months on a new machine. I'm sure they will probably just want to swap for another standard battery, but it never hurts to ask. Regardless, I am going Lithium. If they don't want to work with me on it, I'll go price shopping online and handle it that way.

Thanks for the advice guys! (and for not giving me shit for making a bad decision.)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Just an FYI on the lithium front, the bigger the better. The smaller lithium's are really effected by the colder temp's, so it can be very hard to start when cold. So whatever you buy, make sure it's a standard sized battery with more cranking amp's then stock.

I've personally had trouble with Shorai, I switched to AntiGravity a battery manufactured here in the US, for ALL of my motorcycles and they've been far better. So far I have 3 years on each of them, never put a tender on them and they've been rock solid.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts