Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So took my bike for a ride last week and everything was normal until I got on the highway. Traveling around 80mph with steady throttle and my bike kinda hiccuped/hesitated for a bit, along with a flash of the diag light. So got off the highway and took local roads home...and didn't experience that. Taking it as a sign of my regulator starting to check out so I ordered one from Rick's and in the meantime took another ride (couple days later) and experienced the same thing again: after the bike being warmed up (190-210) and on the highway that slight hiccup while on the gas with the flash of the diag light.

Fast forward yesterday replaced the regulator and took it for a 2hr ride where the bike def got hot....perfectly fine. So I'm satisfied with having the bike back to normal and plan on meeting friends later on for a ride. Few hours later hop on per usual hit up some local roads and hop on the highway, but to my dismay it hesitates AGAIN! Now I'm at a loss...I'm nearing 7500 so I was gonna stop riding til I could get the service done and at the same time get the bike tuned (1198s full dp ecu open loop). I'm at a loss on what it could be as I haven't made any fueling/air mods since 2 winters ago. Dirty air filter? Dirty spark plugs? Extended time running a full exhaust ecu while only having slip-ons? TPS needing to be reset after having slight regulator issues?

Any suggestions would help, rather have some kinda idea before letting the dealership jump into doing the service to see if I can get the minor hiccup fixed alongside it. Thanks.

*forgot to add checked the voltage after the regulator swap and the bike sits between 14.6 and 14.8 on the oem regulator it was 14.3

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Sounds like the regulator wasn't the issue. Usually when the regulator fails, the bike can run fine, it just kills the battery and won't restart.

When you refer to "diag light" you're talking about the yellow check engine light right?

If so, the check engine light will come on if the motor stops running for a brief second AFTER its been running. So your hiccup could be the motor not running at all for a brief second. This can be caused by a simple switch failure, kick stand, perhaps ignition or even the key switch itself.

A quick question can answer all… when was the last time you washed the bike?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the regulator wasn't the issue. Usually when the regulator fails, the bike can run fine, it just kills the battery and won't restart.

When you refer to "diag light" you're talking about the yellow check engine light right?

If so, the check engine light will come on if the motor stops running for a brief second AFTER its been running. So your hiccup could be the motor not running at all for a brief second. This can be caused by a simple switch failure, kick stand, perhaps ignition or even the key switch itself.

A quick question can answer all… when was the last time you washed the bike?
yes I was referring to the exclamation light not the engine one.

I've never washed the bike with water. Honda cleaner and a terry cloth after riding.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So took my bike for a ride last week and everything was normal until I got on the highway. Traveling around 80mph with steady throttle and my bike kinda hiccuped/hesitated for a bit, along with a flash of the diag light. So got off the highway and took local roads home...and didn't experience that. Taking it as a sign of my regulator starting to check out so I ordered one from Rick's and in the meantime took another ride (couple days later) and experienced the same thing again: after the bike being warmed up (190-210) and on the highway that slight hiccup while on the gas with the flash of the diag light.

Fast forward yesterday replaced the regulator and took it for a 2hr ride where the bike def got hot....perfectly fine. So I'm satisfied with having the bike back to normal and plan on meeting friends later on for a ride. Few hours later hop on per usual hit up some local roads and hop on the highway, but to my dismay it hesitates AGAIN! Now I'm at a loss...I'm nearing 7500 so I was gonna stop riding til I could get the service done and at the same time get the bike tuned (1198s full dp ecu open loop). I'm at a loss on what it could be as I haven't made any fueling/air mods since 2 winters ago. Dirty air filter? Dirty spark plugs? Extended time running a full exhaust ecu while only having slip-ons? TPS needing to be reset after having slight regulator issues?

Any suggestions would help, rather have some kinda idea before letting the dealership jump into doing the service to see if I can get the minor hiccup fixed alongside it. Thanks.

*forgot to add checked the voltage after the regulator swap and the bike sits between 14.6 and 14.8 on the oem regulator it was 14.3
if the dash flashed a code at you, you can thumb down on the menu lever/button to get the code. That will tell you what’s is going on. That will at least point you in the direction you need to go.

A hesitation like you suggest could be a number of things the key ring security sensor (Have you had the tank guard around the ignition cylinder off? it could be loose.), could be fouled plugs.

Are you running a Power commander? if you’ve accepted a bunch of trims to richen up the under 5k rpms, that can happen.

Have you messed with the air bypass valves on the throttle bodies? If they’re open too far you can never add enough fuel for the 02 sensors to read a change; too much gas and eventually the plugs are shot.

See if you can get the code from the dash menu to track it down.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if the dash flashed a code at you, you can thumb down on the menu lever/button to get the code. That will tell you what’s is going on. That will at least point you in the direction you need to go.

A hesitation like you suggest could be a number of things the key ring security sensor (Have you had the tank guard around the ignition cylinder off? it could be loose.), could be fouled plugs.

Are you running a Power commander? if you’ve accepted a bunch of trims to richen up the under 5k rpms, that can happen.

Have you messed with the air bypass valves on the throttle bodies? If they’re open too far you can never add enough fuel for the 02 sensors to read a change; too much gas and eventually the plugs are shot.

See if you can get the code from the dash menu to track it down.
Nothing had been changed prior to this occuring. No pc just a dp open loop full exhaust ecu. No codes fire or yellow light since replacing the regulator. I have a cf cover over the ignition cylinder but that was put on over a year ago.

Spark plugs came to mind as did the air filter. However wouldnt something being dirty with either one be evident during all riding conditions (local varying throttle/highway constant throttle).

Got an appointment set to get the 7500mi service done in a couple weeks. So I'ld like to try out a couple more things before having the dealership take a look.

Fuel pump assembly....
I was thinking of replacing the fuel filter...even though I feel that if it was a fueling issue I'ld feel the slight hesitation all the time not only on the highway

·
Registered
915 Posts
I was thinking of replacing the fuel filter...even though I feel that if it was a fueling issue I'ld feel the slight hesitation all the time not only on the highway
I had an identical problem. Bike would stumble momentarily while cruising, only on the highway anywhere between 70-90 mph, and only when it had been running for 30+ minutes in temperatures greater than 60 deg F. It idled fine, accelerated fine, and did everything else fine. Did not throw a CEL or code. But it did stumble consistently during those conditions above. Felt like fuel was being cut. Sometimes for 200 milliseconds, sometimes for 1 full second.

The low fuel light had failed a few years prior to this problem, so that had to be addressed anyway. Replaced the entire fuel pump assembly 2K miles ago, problem solved. Low fuel light works again as well. I am not saying that this is definitely your problem, but it was for me. Data logging while riding may confirm what the issue is.

Just an FYI, I picked up a very low mileage 1198 fuel pump assembly on fleabay for less than $70. I saw plenty for less than $100.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had an identical problem. Bike would stumble momentarily while cruising, only on the highway anywhere between 70-90 mph, and only when it had been running for 30+ minutes in temperatures greater than 60 deg F. It idled fine, accelerated fine, and did everything else fine. Did not throw a CEL or code. But it did stumble consistently during those conditions above. Felt like fuel was being cut. Sometimes for 200 milliseconds, sometimes for 1 full second.

The low fuel light had failed a few years prior to this problem, so that had to be addressed anyway. Replaced the entire fuel pump assembly 2K miles ago, problem solved. Low fuel light works again as well. I am not saying that this is definitely your problem, but it was for me. Data logging while riding may confirm what the issue is.

Just an FYI, I picked up a very low mileage 1198 fuel pump assembly on fleabay for less than $70. I saw plenty for less than $100.

Thanks! Funny enough I was giving that a thought and with it going in for service is the route that I'll go. What you explained is exactly what I'm experiencing.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
*update*

so had the 7500mi service done in addition to replacing the whole fuel pump from a newer one I got from ebay. unfortunately the "hiccup" still happens....always when the bike is running hot. wanting to eliminate add-ons I removed the quickshifter and had a full tank of gas. at this point I'm wondering if the tps is faulty and the engine heat is affecting it. kinda at a loss and it makes me ride the bike (for the times when I'm testing theories) like a grandma due to not wanting the bike to "hiccup" while leaning. anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
100 Posts
What concerns me is the CEL indicator on the dash. I suspect that the regulator could have been going south as a separate issue and you fixed it. But your symptoms remaining constant is bad.

I’ve run the DP map on my bike from a re-flash and it wasn’t perfect by a long stretch. Better than stock for sure. I have been messing with power commander mapping for a year plus to sort out low rpm stumbling. I’ve gotten it to where I want it but under 2% throttle has been a challenge. You might think it wouldn’t be a big deal but I was testing a map out on the street - focusing on 2k to 5k and I didn’t get it quite right as I had a sort of ‘step’ in the power delivery. It took a couple of corner exits to prove it but what was happening was a slow, smooth application of throttle resulted in : nothing, nothing, nothing POWER, Traction control cut and then back to normal. I altered the fuel tables a bit and made it better, but zero - 2 percent throttle spits and sputters, right where low speed, 90 degree turns happen. I’ve begun adding small percentage of fuel in the power commander auto tune tables in the zero percent column and its made the bike much smoother.

at your speeds, you are probably right at this 0-2% throttle and it’s probably quite lean even with a DP ECU. But for me that just made the bike difficult to run at low speed / low rpm.

I think you might have a loose or frayed connection somewhere.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some kinda frayed connection could be the issue...but its only when the bike is warmed up and when the throttle is on and the speeds can low/high. I don't think there is a mapping issue anymore since there's no backfiring and when the bike doesn't hiccup it runs smooth throughout the rpm range.

What concerns me is the CEL indicator on the dash. I suspect that the regulator could have been going south as a separate issue and you fixed it. But your symptoms remaining constant is bad.

I’ve run the DP map on my bike from a re-flash and it wasn’t perfect by a long stretch. Better than stock for sure. I have been messing with power commander mapping for a year plus to sort out low rpm stumbling. I’ve gotten it to where I want it but under 2% throttle has been a challenge. You might think it wouldn’t be a big deal but I was testing a map out on the street - focusing on 2k to 5k and I didn’t get it quite right as I had a sort of ‘step’ in the power delivery. It took a couple of corner exits to prove it but what was happening was a slow, smooth application of throttle resulted in : nothing, nothing, nothing POWER, Traction control cut and then back to normal. I altered the fuel tables a bit and made it better, but zero - 2 percent throttle spits and sputters, right where low speed, 90 degree turns happen. I’ve begun adding small percentage of fuel in the power commander auto tune tables in the zero percent column and its made the bike much smoother.

at your speeds, you are probably right at this 0-2% throttle and it’s probably quite lean even with a DP ECU. But for me that just made the bike difficult to run at low speed / low rpm.

I think you might have a loose or frayed connection somewhere.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Having a similar problem myself. I think mine is the tps. Does it happen with the throttle at a certain angle only and in any gear under load? That's my issue and I'm working to resolve it by replacing the throttle bodies and sensor. Bike has less than 5000 mi on it too :(

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Having a similar problem myself. I think mine is the tps. Does it happen with the throttle at a certain angle only and in any gear under load? That's my issue and I'm working to resolve it by replacing the throttle bodies and sensor. Bike has less than 5000 mi on it too :(
funny and we live right by each other. yeah I saw your thread and just ordered a tps sensor from gothamcycle since its inexpensive and worth trying out things I can work on. it happens on acceleration on holding a speed...never on WOT. The throttle bodies were synced during the 7500mi service so that should be all set. So got my fingers crossed that next week replacing the tps will fix this hiccuping

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah just spoke with Michael at Gotham. The dealer said I needed the whole assmble but Gothem said. I don't and I've had good luck with them so I'll order it in the am. Dealer had it a week and said if that's not it it's the ecu. Really sucks being without the bike for almost a month now. Good luck I'll let you know how it works out for me when I get the part.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had this same issue, mine started acting up when running the tank really low on fuel.

I took the fuel pump out, cleaned up the screen, swapped the filter out and haven't had an issue since. Also check your fuel pump connection under the seat where the subframe meets the main frame. Ensure the connector is nice and clean.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The low fuel was something I considered but I've got a full tank and the hiccups persists. I'll recheck the connections under the tank, but don't think it's the case since the fuel pump was replaced so the dealer would or should have seen any connection issues. Got my fingers crossed that changing the tps will fix my problem

I had this same issue, mine started acting up when running the tank really low on fuel.

I took the fuel pump out, cleaned up the screen, swapped the filter out and haven't had an issue since. Also check your fuel pump connection under the seat where the subframe meets the main frame. Ensure the connector is nice and clean.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I seem to have a very similar problem. Bike seems to misfire/cut out under load. Happens only at 20-30% throttle and holding a constant speed. Associated with backfiring.

No codes thrown up by ecu... Suspected tps sensor. Ordered one from Gotham and having it put in on Monday. Fingers crossed that will work.

Otherwise stumped what the cause is. Fuel pump and filter, cps, kickstand sensor, VR all checked and normal.

Sent from my iPad using Ducati.org Forum

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I seem to have a very similar problem. Bike seems to misfire/cut out under load. Happens only at 20-30% throttle and holding a constant speed. Associated with backfiring.

No codes thrown up by ecu... Suspected tps sensor. Ordered one from Gotham and having it put in on Monday. Fingers crossed that will work.

Otherwise stumped what the cause is. Fuel pump and filter, cps, kickstand sensor, VR all checked and normal.

Sent from my iPad using Ducati.org Forum
see the backfiring could mean something tuning related...mine just hiccups and than goes along fine. there are some informative thread in the 'technical' section from ppl that had some of the same issues. tps or chain replacement solved it for them...so i got my fingers crossed that the tps will be it

1 - 20 of 38 Posts