Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 900SS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 900SS...There's no other way to explain it. I'm going down the road, 65 to 75mph. The bike starts to bog like I'm running out of gas...all the way down to zero. I pull over. It starts right back up, and away I go for a few more miles...then the same. It always starts and revs just fine. Then, the previously mentioned happens. I've spent over $1000. I need this forum's best and brightest. Thank you.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't know what your initial grand went to...but typically a second diagnosis points to loose wires... that said...is it random...is it only between a certain speed...did it rain...under load...in the morning...engine temp...do you have to turn the key off and on or does it start right back up...does the headlight stay on during the event...is the tank full or empty..is there debris in the tank...can you repeat it...

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Your last quest is a danger..
sure he can..

1992 900SS...There's no other way to explain it. I'm going down the road, 65 to 75mph. The bike starts to bog like I'm running out of gas...all the way down to zero. I pull over. It starts right back up, and away I go for a few more miles...then the same. It always starts and revs just fine. Then, the previously mentioned happens. I've spent over $1000. I need this forum's best and brightest. Thank you.

Ha ha..

But I’m confused. Subject line 2002, text body .. 1992...

Both supersports... so they are all the same I guess..

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Didn’t try hard to find it but where is edit????

Didn’t mean subject line... meant the bike model beside OP name

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like tank venting. Try opening the filler. Also carry a spare plug with you, and after it happens quickly put it in a plug lead with it laying on the cylinder, and turn the bike over to check for spark, in case something is heating up and failing. But my money is on venting.

·
Registered
2002 900SS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the venting. Opened the tank while driving... still the same. Changed out the little breather valve. New fuel filter. New fuel pump. Adjusted the carbs. A new belt. Not that the belt had anything to do with it. Still the same...that was the $1000.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 96 M900 used to do something similar, which always felt like a fuel starvation issue. Mine has a soft 'U' shaped fuel line just after the fuel filter to the vacuum petcock, and I think it was collapsing from the fuel pump. Being frugal, I found a screen door spring that would just fit inside the line, pulled it through so that it was long enough to keep the line round throughout the bend and reinstalled. I haven't had the issue even hint at coming back since then. If yours has a vacuum petcock as well, check to see that it's working without any issues, too. YMMV - good luck!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Recently had this with customer bike..... also a 900SS. Would always restart once stopped on the side of the road. Dealer told him it was immobiliser issue..... Wrong. Took me about 15 minutes to work out the fuel pump relay was faulty. New one fitted and problem solved.

·
Registered
2002 900SS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EL Twin, is that relay also the starter relay? Since the only other relay on this bike is the blinker relay, I guess I should try it. I'm running out of options. I like your suggestion!

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Eltwin, a 92 ss won’t have an electric fuel pump. A 2002 will. He hasn’t yet clarified what bike he has.

·
Registered
2002 900SS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a 92 900ss with an electronic fuel pump. I've ordered the relay. Just awaiting its arrival. Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts