Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I will be moving to LA in July and had a few questions regarding the legality of my bike. I currently have a 2012 Monster with custom exhaust and velocity stacks. I've done some research and my understanding is that I don't need a CARB sticker because I have a 2012 and registration shouldn't be a problem because it was my bike in another state first. On top of that bikes are smog exempt right? My only hassle would be if I get pulled over for something and the cop states XYZ. However with the bike not needing to meet California standards because it's from outside would they have anything to pin on me? I guess decibels?

Does this sound about right or should I plan on keeping my stock parts...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
It really depends on the mileage. You can't bring a NEW vehicle into California and register it without 7500 miles on the clock. It's a stupid law to avoid people brining new vehicles over the border from New Mexico or Arizona. However because you're moving, I think you'll be OK.

Other then that, if the aftermarket parts are not visible, you're A OK. If there are clearly visible parts which don't look OEM, you will need to put the OEM parts on the bike just for the initial inspection. Once you pass that inspection, you can go home, put the aftermarket parts on and there won't be any problems.

Unfortunately, you'll have to deal with the DMV on this. Most of us Californian's use AAA for our DMV services as it's pretty quick and painless. Once you land, I highly suggest getting AAA, its not that expensive and around here, worth every penny if you're stranded somewhere for some obnoxious reason.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have AAA here and I am hoping that it transfers. Are AAA locations able to take care of all of my needs in regards to registration and inspection?

Anything else I need to worry about? Just inspect, register and ride?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Inspect and ride!

Just remember, we can lane split here. So keep a watchful eye on who's coming up behind you. It takes some time to learn, but you'll figure it out. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha I've been sitting and sweating in traffic from the day I first learned to ride. Can't wait!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.