Ducati.org forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Tell ya one thing… its nice having the numbers, but its a lot nicer knowing what those numbers SHOULD feel like. Mechanics who use torque wrenches a lot, should know better what the actual torque figures should feel like.

Bottom line, you'll never know what a proper torque figure feels like, without first testing yourself with a gauge. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think there are other factors that need considered: what was the torque to loosen the bolt, are the parts new, clean, etc. also, how critical is the part? I would think a cover is not as critical as a sprocket. Also, how true is the torque wrench? I have seen some that have been abused, not relieved after a torque, and of questionable quality. For example, I have torqued things that have come loose in use. This is a wide open topic that will probably never get a consensus.

Sent from my iPad using Ducati.org Forum

·
Registered
318 Posts
Torque wrenches should be stored at their lowest setting to retain accuracy.

Sometimes shit comes loose on vibrating motorcycles- that's why they made blue and red Loctite (be sure to use the appropriate one)

Sealing surfaces are damaged from over torque, then leak...

Understanding torque helps too- typo's happed and that 50NM on the 4x1.0 allen was probably supposed to be 5NM.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.