Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
not a typical question:
is it possible to run a mechanical speedo (like on the 916 bikes) on the 848/1x98 front?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Anything is possible but you have a dash that isn't mechanical and the front wheel and forks don't have a provision for it.

I suspect your trying to use a 1x98 motor and dash on a different bike and need to make a speedo work. It would be easier to use the 1098 electronic sensor off the rear rotor and install pins on the front or rear rotor of the bike your using at the same spacing and diameter this would give you the speedo on any application the easiest

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have a 996 with 1x98 forks conversion. I can make it work with my 996 wheel (with 15mm brake rotor offset from 748R with 6 bolts), but I would like to match my rear 848 wheel.

I don't want to use electronic dash, as REALLY dig the analogic dash. So I have to find a way to make the mechanical speedo drive on the newer wheels.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I think it's the other way around… putting an 848/1098/1198 front end onto an older bike.

Many people have put those front ends onto older bikes, it's a common mod. I'd love to think you could make the speedo work. But the moment you have both forks your hand, you realize there are a few hurtles to get around. The biggest one is the speedo holding assembly, which is build-into the fork bottom. This is what keeps the outside of the speedo from spinning on it's own. The other problem is axel size, Ducati changed that over the years as well and guess what? I don't think the newer axel won't fit through the speedo hole. Finally, the rotor offset would make it nearly impossible to get the cable up without rubbing.

So the answer to your question is… most people who buy a 848/1098/1198 front end, usually use the stock front wheel from those bikes as well. Then all you need is a GPS display which gets speed based on GPS data rather then wheel speed sensors. Yea its not that accurate, but at least you'd have SOMETHING and it's a whole hell of a lot cheaper then trying to make newer electronics work on a 916.

I hope that makes sense!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks for the answer.

I can make my mechanical speedo work with the new forks and OEM wheel with 15mm offset rotor from 748R and one custom shim. The axle size is the same.
However, I want to use the 1098 wheel with the mechanical drive; and that is the challenge.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
thanks for the answer.

I can make my mechanical speedo work with the new forks and OEM wheel with 15mm offset rotor from 748R and one custom shim. The axle size is the same.
However, I want to use the 1098 wheel with the mechanical drive; and that is the challenge.
Yea, but just because it fits, doesn't mean it will work. That little pin on the old fork which holds the speedo assembly in place is critical. If you've ever installed the speedo without it, you'd realize in a heartbeat.

Forget about the speedo engagement components on the old wheel, that's the biggest problem. Then look at the small stuff like the rotor offset and how close it will come to the top of the assembly and cable. Just throw the new wheel in there and you'll see what I'm talking about.

BTW… you used which axel? The old one or the new one?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts