Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running through a friends 1999 Monster 750 and trying to figure out why it's only running when the choke is on, and when the choke is on it revs to 6K. The carbs have been rebuilt, tank has fresh gas, no cracks in fuel or vacuum lines, and a new fuel filter. I did an oil change and found this little guy on the drain plug and I'm not sure what it goes to. It's too thin to be valve return spring related and the only other thing I received advice on is that it could be the neutral spring behind the clutch basket. I have an old spring off my 748 and the metal look to be different thicknesses. Any guess on what this belongs to and what else I can check? Not sure it this is at all related to the bike not idling and only running when the choke is on. Thanks in advance for the help and support.

Camera lens Automotive lighting Gas Lens Personal protective equipment

Hand Eye Leg Human body Neck

· Registered
147 Posts
When the choke is needed, it says the jet circuits are clogged. Symptoms are; it revs sending in too much fuel; then stalls out when the choke is off. I don't care who cleaned those carbs, get your money back or if you have the wave hose [my best spanish] to admit it, give it another try.

Here at we don't fart around getting it up and running, we recommend investing in a $12 can of NAPA carb clean. Follow directions, no rubber submerged in this solution or it expands and renders the gasket and float needle useless. Says 20min dunked in that shit and whole he shits does it wash away with water. Fires the fuck right up does it.

As far as the spring, are parts still available? No? Static shift the gearbox. Back wheel off the ground, spin wheel with one hand, shift as fast as you can up, fast as you can down, find N with the other hand. Says any spring needing tension for a return to static shows that hook end is either going to eventually tear thru the stay-pin [for a better name] or replace it, sans splitting the cases. Then run it till it stops shifting if that is an internal spring hooked to some stay dowel?

Parts page knows for sure.

Or ride it till it fails, no parts available anyway is the alleged obsolete bike?

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the choke is needed, it says the jet circuits are clogged. Symptoms are; it revs sending in too much fuel; then stalls out when the choke is off. I don't care who cleaned those carbs, get your money back or if you have the wave hose [my best spanish] to admit it, give it another try.

Here at we don't fart around getting it up and running, we recommend investing in a $12 can of NAPA carb clean. Follow directions, no rubber submerged in this solution or it expands and renders the gasket and float needle useless. Says 20min dunked in that shit and whole he shits does it wash away with water. Fires the fuck right up does it.

As far as the spring, are parts still available? No? Static shift the gearbox. Back wheel off the ground, spin wheel with one hand, shift as fast as you can up, fast as you can down, find N with the other hand. Says any spring needing tension for a return to static shows that hook end is either going to eventually tear thru the stay-pin [for a better name] or replace it, sans splitting the cases. Then run it till it stops shifting if that is an internal spring hooked to some stay dowel?

Parts page knows for sure.

Or ride it till it fails, no parts available anyway is the alleged obsolete bike?
I cleaned the carbs and used a K&L rebuild kit, PN 18-2456V. All metal parts were cleaned in CHEM-DIP carb cleaner, no rubber. All gaskets and O-rings replaced with the rebuild kit. I'll take it all apart again tomorrow and see if I missed anything. These carbs are pretty straight forward though.

I'm not sure that's what the spring belongs to, that's why I'm here asking. Are you saying you think that's what the metal piece belongs to?

· Registered
147 Posts
It looks coil spring-ish, yes. No threads, no dowel pin material, more a round type of alleged 'straight at one time' is to now question the curl and where does that tie into a catch at a gear? The hook around is premade? The damage at the hook is torn up, where the shaft is less tumbled and nicked.

I do not own a duc, ever worked on one, only on the net I make the attempt and without a parts page, a shop book and a chapter as to were that piece is to? I'm basically guessing what and where that came from?

How old is the chem-dip? If you can't see bottom, it's done in my book. I see gold as in new. I now see 6 carb bodies gone thru and is changing to black, but just a hint of seeing the bottom. But when NAPA new? WOW, what 20 minutes will do.

-Edit-
More like the shifting area. No way is it off a top end kind of spring. It be tagging and flagging noises to kill the engine quick. Plus the rocker arm spring is twice the size of the alleged shift spring diameter the magnet picked up.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks coil spring-ish, yes. No threads, no dowel pin material, more a round type of alleged 'straight at one time' is to now question the curl and where does that tie into a catch at a gear? The hook around is premade? The damage at the hook is torn up, where the shaft is less tumbled and nicked.

I do not own a duc, ever worked on one, only on the net I make the attempt and without a parts page, a shop book and a chapter as to were that piece is to? I'm basically guessing what and where that came from?

How old is the chem-dip? If you can't see bottom, it's done in my book. I see gold as in new. I now see 6 carb bodies gone thru and is changing to black, but just a hint of seeing the bottom. But when NAPA new? WOW, what 20 minutes will do.

-Edit-
More like the shifting area. No way is it off a top end kind of spring. It be tagging and flagging noises to kill the engine quick. Plus the rocker arm spring is twice the size of the alleged shift spring diameter the magnet picked up.
CHEM-DIP is only a few months old.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like the end of the selector fork return spring 79912961A
This is what a few were thinking but if the spring was broken, wouldn't the selector lever stay put? Meaning, if I go down into first gear, wouldn't the lever stay put? Instead, the selector lever immediately returns to the neutral position.

· Registered
2,576 Posts

page 8-9. #20
Thats for a 2000 750 but similar.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

page 8-9. #20
Thats for a 2000 750 but similar.
The link you provided won't let me view the document/image.

· Registered
2,576 Posts
The link you provided won't let me view the document/image.
Google Ducati Omaha parts. They have diagrams back to 2000.

It’s not uncommon for that spring to break. Maybe the previous owner had it replaced.
If there is nothing wrong with the shifting, don’t worry about it.

· Super Moderator
96 Posts
This is what a few were thinking but if the spring was broken, wouldn't the selector lever stay put? Meaning, if I go down into first gear, wouldn't the lever stay put? Instead, the selector lever immediately returns to the neutral position.
No. You're getting confused with the gear lever return spring (#27 in the above link) this is the one that more commonly breaks and results in the gear lever not returning.
See attached images of the two different springs 79912961A is the selector fork return spring 079913110 is the gear lever return spring. #21 & 27 respectively in the attached parts image, you can see the difference in shape as well as how the end of 79912961A (#21) looks very much like the part you have.

Attachments

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No. You're getting confused with the gear lever return spring (#27 in the above link) this is the one that more commonly breaks and results in the gear lever not returning.
See attached images of the two different springs 79912961A is the selector fork return spring 079913110 is the gear lever return spring. #21 & 27 respectively in the attached parts image, you can see the difference in shape as well as how the end of 79912961A (#21) looks very much like the part you have.
Guess I am confused. The gear lever returns like normal but this is the spring a few of you are suggesting the piece of metal belongs to.

· Registered
'01 750SS ie
76 Posts
Guess I am confused. The gear lever returns like normal but this is the spring a few of you are suggesting the piece of metal belongs to.
Yea, looks like the end of the shifter return spring. It may still be caught on the edge of the lever but, will eventually come off at some point. Is the Monster FI or carbed becouse if FI, the "choke" lever is just a throttle holder or cruise control. Which would account for the high revs when fully deployed.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, looks like the end of the shifter return spring. It may still be caught on the edge of the lever but, will eventually come off at some point. Is the Monster FI or carbed becouse if FI, the "choke" lever is just a throttle holder or cruise control. Which would account for the high revs when fully deployed.
Its a carb.

· Registered
Railside Performance
38 Posts
Its definately a shifter spring and i had the same broken part in my old Monster. The bike is still going strong 10 years later with no issues so I would not worry about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts